The Student Room Group
Reply 1
equili3rium
There are 2 non-uniform wooden sticks, both of which can burn for a life-time of exactly 30min. How would you use the 2 sticks to time 45min exactly?

Condition: You are only allowed to use the 2 sticks and a source of fire

i don't get it... burn one whole one then half of the other?
Reply 2
equili3rium
There are 2 non-uniform wooden sticks, both of which can burn for a life-time of exactly 30min. How would you use the 2 sticks to time 45min exactly?

Condition: You are only allowed to use the 2 sticks and a source of fire

ahh i would eat the wooden sticks
Reply 3
Wouldn't you just put the sticks like this:

_____
....._____

But right next to each other, so when one is half way through at 15mins it lights the other one which then has 30mins to burn?
Reply 4
put the sticks together, burn them, and blow them out after 45 mins
Reply 5
elpaw
put the sticks together, burn them, and blow them out after 45 mins

Lol.

I think the answer is, set one alight, when it is finished, light the other at both ends. This accounts for the possibility of the stick burning faster at one end than another.
Reply 6
JamesF
Lol.

I think the answer is, set one alight, when it is finished, light the other at both ends. This accounts for the possibility of the stick burning faster at one end than another.

ahhhhhh yes
Reply 7
good
Reply 8
equili3rium
good

good what?
Reply 9
Light the first one on both sides. This will make 15 mins. Then immediately light the other one on one side. 15 + 30 = 45. Tadaaa. You have to assume that both ends of the stick will burn equally though.

Sorry, someone's already answered it, but I wanted to anyways, tee hee.

The version of this that I was made to solve was:

You have two sticks that burn for 1 hr, how do you measure 45 mins?

Very similar to the other one. Anyone want to answer it?
vavavoom
Light the first one on both sides. This will make 15 mins. Then immediately light the other one on one side. 15 + 30 = 45. Tadaaa. You have to assume that both ends of the stick will burn equally though.

Sorry, someone's already answered it, but I wanted to anyways, tee hee.

The version of this that I was made to solve was:

You have two sticks that burn for 1 hr, how do you measure 45 mins?

Very similar to the other one. Anyone want to answer it?

do u light both ends of no. 1 and one end of no.2 when no. 1 has burnt out u light other end of no 2 and when no.2 is burnt out, 45 min has elapsed?
Reply 11
lgs98jonee
do u light both ends of no. 1 and one end of no.2 when no. 1 has burnt out u light other end of no 2 and when no.2 is burnt out, 45 min has elapsed?

Correct~!
vavavoom
Correct~!

yippeeee
Okay people this questions taken from the Mensa Home IQ Test:

A Certain tank holds 20 gallons of water. When a tap over it is turned on water flows from it into the tank at a rate of 4 gallons a minute. When a plug in the bottom of the tank is pulled out water drains away from the tank at the rate of 6 gallons a minute.

Question:
The tank is empty with the plug in. The tap is turned on for 4 minutes. The plug is then pulled out with the tap left on for another 6 minutes. How many gallons will be left in the tank at the end of this time?
Reply 14
Fallen Angel
Okay people this questions taken from the Mensa Home IQ Test:

A Certain tank holds 20 gallons of water. When a tap over it is turned on water flows from it into the tank at a rate of 4 gallons a minute. When a plug in the bottom of the tank is pulled out water drains away from the tank at the rate of 6 gallons a minute.

Question:
The tank is empty with the plug in. The tap is turned on for 4 minutes. The plug is then pulled out with the tap left on for another 6 minutes. How many gallons will be left in the tank at the end of this time?

after 4 mins, 16 gallons are in. after plug pulled out, water flows out at 2 gall/min, for 6 mins = 12 gallons, therefore 4 gallons left over
Reply 15

Question:
The tank is empty with the plug in. The tap is turned on for 4 minutes. The plug is then pulled out with the tap left on for another 6 minutes. How many gallons will be left in the tank at the end of this time

4*4 = 16 gallons to begin with
-6*6 = -36 gallons drained out
4*6 = 24 gallons coming in

begin with 16, so if the ratio of water going out to water coming in is 3:2, the tank will lose 12 gallons, leaving 4. because the plug drains faster than the tap, the maximum amount of water is 16.

Latest

Trending

Trending