The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
jellybones
My friend mentioned that the pill can cause fish to become sterile. I've dissmissed this as nonsense but is there any truth to these rumours? And how can it happen (i.e what scientific eveidence is there to prove that this happens?)

Are you a fish?

Well don't worry then.
Reply 2
I also heard that onion rings can also cause fish to become sterile...
Reply 3
haha this thread is so silly.
i thought we were going to be asked a serious question :confused:
april fools days was ages ago *rolls eyes*
Reply 4
rpotter
I also heard that onion rings can also cause fish to become sterile...

OMG, my poor fish... :p:
Reply 5
well.. the hormones arnt filtered out of the water... so obv it edventually gets back into drinking water... and men drink it... YOU'RE TURNING US INTO WOMEN!!! ...slowly..
Reply 6
HagerVor
well.. the hormones arnt filtered out of the water... so obv it edventually gets back into drinking water... and men drink it... YOU'RE TURNING US INTO WOMEN!!! ...slowly..

Not actually true. It was noticed that fish living near sewage outlets were becoming more feminised and made sterile. However they were unable to find even the tiniest trace of contraceptive hormones in the water. What they DID find was traces of another oestrogen analogue which is actually found in some plastics, which was having this effect on the fish.

So the thing about the pill making the men of our country infertile is, I'm afraid, rubbish.
Reply 7
can i ask a serious question: if i forget when i'm suppoed to start and my pill and thus to be on the safe side,take it a day early,is that ok?
Reply 8
Reply 9
This wasn't a joke thread I just wanted some scientific evidence to prove to an animal rights obsessive friend that the pill didn't make fish sterile. I mean it's pretty unlikely that we'd pee oestrogen/ progesterone anyway.
Reply 10
Did I not answer that question?
jellybones
This wasn't a joke thread I just wanted some scientific evidence to prove to an animal rights obsessive friend that the pill didn't make fish sterile. I mean it's pretty unlikely that we'd pee oestrogen/ progesterone anyway.

you do actually,how do you think pregnancy tests and drug tests work? ^o)

some hormones are not filtered by the kidney and they get on the pregnancy kit thing which then does what it does and tells you if you're pregnant or not.
Helenia

you did and so did lessthanthree
Reply 13
Helenia

Yea and thanks I was just clarifying that this thread was in fact serious and not a joke :redface:
Reply 14
Shylock

some hormones are not filtered by the kidney and they get on the pregnancy kit thing which then does what it does and tells you if you're pregnant or not.

D'oh of course! I forgot about that...
Reply 15
Shylock

But it's not oestrogen or progesterone that works on pregnancy tests.
Helenia
But it's not oestrogen or progesterone that works on pregnancy tests.

but hormones do pass through urine. i've been studying my bio :p: and yeh i think it's one of the two,coz they're higher levels in the blood so it's released by the body,i can't be too sure though,but i am sure that hormones can be released into urine.
Reply 17
Shylock
but hormones do pass through urine. i've been studying my bio :p: and yeh i think it's one of the two,coz they're higher levels in the blood so it's released by the body,i can't be too sure though,but i am sure that hormones can be released into urine.

It's not either oestrogen or progesterone that's tested for by a pregnancy test. It's human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG).

I'm not 100% sure of the metabolic fate of oestrogen/progesterone, but as I said, they were unable to find traceable levels of it in water near sewage outlets, where logically it would be at its highest.
i don't disagree i doubt it's enough to do anything to the fish,people just like to make huge arguments over nothing.i'm not referring to the OP here,just anti-protection people etc
Helenia
Not actually true. It was noticed that fish living near sewage outlets were becoming more feminised and made sterile. However they were unable to find even the tiniest trace of contraceptive hormones in the water. What they DID find was traces of another oestrogen analogue which is actually found in some plastics, which was having this effect on the fish.

So the thing about the pill making the men of our country infertile is, I'm afraid, rubbish.

Not actually true. They have found in multiple studies that the waste water from human sewage contains high levels of oestrogens, the worst of which by far is EE2 - a compound from synthetic contraceptive hormone pills.
However with adequate sewage control ~80-90% is removed from the water course. This whole issue is more problematic in the UK with its high population density and dinky rivers than places like germany, france etc, but is a big problem non the less that has seen intersex roach, oocytes in the testes of some male fish and other effects.

However, the thing about it making human men less fertile has not been proved. certainly male fertility is falling fast, but the precise cause is yet to be found, and will proably relate to some other pollutants, or godforbid something as simple as our cathode ray tubes (TV!)

Latest

Trending

Trending