This discussion is closed.
MandieS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi! I'm new. I'm Amanda, in year 9 and studying for my GCSEs. This year we've been given the option to do DofE bronze, and I'm all for it for the experience, but my mother claims that it's not necessary and I shouldn't do it because I have a hereditary bad back and she doesn't think I'd be able to complete the trek.

Has anyone else done DofE and what do you think I should do?
rany345
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
YES
joker12345
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not NECESSARY ... it's more up to you, do you think DofE is something you'd enjoy? I have some friends who loved it and some who said it was the most horrific experience of their lives - these were the non-sporty, non-outdoorsy types.
StarryInk07
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I didn't find DofE Bronze too bad. Some people struggled; others found it quite easy. The expedition is only one part of the award. I guess it depends on how bad your back is as the rucksacks you carry are quite heavy and you do a fair amount of walking. If you think you can manage, I'd say it's definitely a great experience. Really fun and valuable at the same time. Maybe you can ask your DofE teacher for their opinion.
iCiaran
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd say do it, as long as you think about what you pack (Unlike some people I knew who were carrying hairdryers and all sorts around with them) then your rucksack won't be THAT heavy, and I'd say it's well worth it for the experience!
08rbut
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A lot of people say its not worth it unless you do it to gold... though judging by my blisters after Bronze I am worried about how I will complete it, especially with all the weight! With regards to your bad back, it depends on how much you pack really. Some took hardly anything and were fine, and some (like me) could have done with less and was in a little pain. Generally my back was fine, I was just tired (understandably, a chicken ate my breakfast so had less energy!) and was not used to walking so much in such hilly places!
BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MandieS)
Hi! I'm new. I'm Amanda, in year 9 and studying for my GCSEs. This year we've been given the option to do DofE bronze, and I'm all for it for the experience, but my mother claims that it's not necessary and I shouldn't do it because I have a hereditary bad back and she doesn't think I'd be able to complete the trek.

Has anyone else done DofE and what do you think I should do?
Hi!

I've just done my Gold trial... and it was hard, but certainly worth it. The thing is about DofE, you have to enjoy it to do it. I know many people who do DofE till Gold but they hate it, they just do it for the award and I just pity them. The reason why I do DofE is because I LOVE doing it, and that should be the reason you do it if you do choose to do it.

If you have a bad back though then maybe you should think hard about this. Bronze surely is quite easy, but what if you chose to carry onto Silver and Gold? Gold test is 4/5 days and it is painful. Have you tried trekking before? How has it been? It would be a risk going onto DofE with a bad back, as if you drop out then you put your whole group at risk.

I want to encourage you to do DofE all through Gold (it's the best feeling in the world once you've finished your trek, you get this immense feeling of satisfaction and you feel so proud of yourself, I would do my treks again and again just to get that feeling again!) but then again I don't want you to do it because of my advice and then find your back is killing you the whole way.

Good luck! D
SaraValli
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've been offered DofE Bronze and whoever I've asked for advice, they've all said it's worth it. Plus it looks good when you go on to apply for college and gives you a better chance of getting in (from what I know). if you really want to do it, I say do. I've not started mine yet but my teacher has told me the expedition part is only for two days but we do it twice (one a pratice and one an actual). Considering you have a bad back it may be difficult but surely the school could help you out considering the expedition is only one part of the Award.
jellie88
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I thought it was a great opportunity. However, if you have a bad back I'm not sure it's the best idea because the heavy rucksack is not going to be good for your back. My friend dropped out of it because she has a bad back and could not manage the rucksack/walking.
xx
syhash
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You don't need to do it, but it's generally a really good experience and I'd definitely recommend it! The expedition is really tough, but it's so worth it for the satisfaction at the end! If you have a bad back, you should probably check with your doctor/physio before you go on the expedition though, but I doubt it'd be too much of a problem as long as you pack light And the sections you have to do can come in pretty useful - for my volunteering section, I helped out at my local Scout group, and I can count this as work experience too, which is always good!
GreenBottle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do it! When I did Bronze, I had a friend who had bad back problems and completed it!

It's a good thing to have- you'll get a lot from doing your sections too, which you can mention on CVs and personal statements later on.

Any chance you've the option to do it any other way? I did one of my expeditions in a canoe- could be better for the back ie. not carrying all bags and stuff. I found it much better than walking. Yeeeah. xD
MandieS
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Wow, thanks for all the advice! I really want to do it but I'll definitely be checking to make sure I'll be fine!

Thank you so much everyone!
Ceiti
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Even if the expedition is going to be on foot you should be able to get an exemption from carrying your backpack with a note from a doctor or physio. You'd just take a small daypack and your large pack would be dropped off in the campsite in the evening and picked up in the morning.

The only time I'd say bronze is not worth it is if you are old enough to do one of the other awards and would be able to cope with skipping ahead to silver or gold. But as you're in Year 9 you've got plenty of time .
arrasails
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd say go for it, I struggled a fair bit and we were blessed with some of the worst weather I've ever seen, but I was unbelievably proud of my self at the end. It's not for everyone though, I'm not planning on completing silver
Sundaraj
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Defiantly! One extra thing to put on a CV/application.
With the back problems just get 2 good strong sturdy walking sticks (about £5 each on amazon).
If you do decide to do it my advice to you would be start early and once you have done the time requirements get everything signed off ASAP.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
ryanb97
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i regret not doing it

ryan
rcummins1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
On it's own, it's useless. The whole 'it looks good on your UCAS' is bull****. It only 'looks good' if you have the gold, for which of course the bronze is a pre-requisite.
FoxBoxUni
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Personally I would not recommend it. I've had a terrible time so far and the second one is tomorrow. I'm dreading it. I had a group full of people who are mean to me. Me and my sister cried in the dark for a few hours which was no fun. We got lost took several short cuts (and got in trouble), got sun burnt, left behind by my group (except my sis) and lost and had to be picked up. If you are in it for the challenge then go buy the equipment and do it yourself since that's cheaper. If you're in it for the CV just study instead and do activities. I used to love walks in the woods. I now get very stressed when I walk up hills in unknown places.
The worst part is that no one believes me.
VOX3L
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FoxBoxUni)
Personally I would not recommend it. I've had a terrible time so far and the second one is tomorrow. I'm dreading it. I had a group full of people who are mean to me. Me and my sister cried in the dark for a few hours which was no fun. We got lost took several short cuts (and got in trouble), got sun burnt, left behind by my group (except my sis) and lost and had to be picked up. If you are in it for the challenge then go buy the equipment and do it yourself since that's cheaper. If you're in it for the CV just study instead and do activities. I used to love walks in the woods. I now get very stressed when I walk up hills in unknown places.
Hon you jest necroed a 5 year old thread

Pretty sure she's in 1st year uni now
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FoxBoxUni)
Old thread. Now closed.

And speak to your DoE organiser (or your head of year) if you have concerns about the program or your groupmates.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads