Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it the ABSOLUTE same as higher?

But less credible of course.

ReputationRep:
    im sure its the same course but at a lower level. They do all the same nabs at a lower level.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it is, you are better doing higher, you do basically the same stuff but it is, as you said, better creditted.

my sister is 13 and doing int 2 english, so go with higher.

higher is quite fun as well, if i may say at the cost of sounding geeky

ReputationRep:
    Higher is probably a better option. A scraped C on your qualifications will look much more appealing to a future employers than an Int 2 - B, maybe even A. It will certainly leave you in better standing if you choose to study at university (English being essential for most of the arts, social sciences).

ReputationRep:
    I think it goes without saying that higher English will be significantly harder than English Int 2.

If you have struggled with the standard grade course thus far it may be wise to take int 2. Intermediate 2 is basically introducing what occurs in the higher year: having to write critical evaluations on the day of the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I would say if you dont get a 1 or a 2 at standard grade the int 2 is the best option for you. You can do that in 5th year and take the higher in 6th year giving you a better chance at attaining the best posible grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhesi)
    I would say if you dont get a 1 or a 2 at standard grade the int 2 is the best option for you. You can do that in 5th year and take the higher in 6th year giving you a better chance at attaining the best posible grade.
    What about if you only get a 2 in a subject?

Isn't it sensible for you to take an Int 2 as what's the chance of you getting a good grade in Higher? Probably zilch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euan_hmfc)
    What about if you only get a 2 in a subject?

Isn't it sensible for you to take an Int 2 as what's the chance of you getting a good grade in Higher? Probably zilch.
    Depends what you want, I think anyone admires a C at higher more than any int 2.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought int 2 was more like a slightly harder credit than an easier Higher...

And you only do int 2 if you get general grades surely?

ReputationRep:
    I got a 2 in SG Chemistry and got a B at Higher so nothing's impossible obviously..

At Higher you just have to motivate yourself to do as good as you can simply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yossarianlives)
    I got a 2 in SG Chemistry and got a B at Higher so nothing's impossible obviously..

At Higher you just have to motivate yourself to do as good as you can simply.
    Exactly, its all about your motivaition and striving to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhesi)
    Exactly, its all about your motivaition and striving to achieve.

i couldn't have put it better myself. 5th year is such hard work, your social life practically goes down the pan just to let you keep up! it is very heavy going but if you are determined to get into uni then you just need to keep going and you wil get there! i am soooo glad i stuck in in 5th year, it was the best decision i made in my life; it has given me 6th year to chill and prepare for uni.

i would advise you to go for higher, the worst that can happen is that you fail, but if you try hard enough and do enough exam prep then that shouldn't happen. Any higher grade looks better than an Int 2 grade, it even just lets the employer know you have been through the course. Also, Int 2 is the equivalent to credit standard grade and do you really want to keep SG going for another year!?!?!

I will say, though, for higher, you will find that help does not come to you... you must find that help. Teachers will no longer ask "is anybody stuck?" or anything, if you don't understand or you want a book or whatever you must ask for it. the big thing about higher is admitting when you are stuck and can't manage so that you can get the creases ironed out.

anyway, as i was saying, take a whack at higher

ReputationRep:
    also, you have all of us here to give you a hand whenever you need it, whether it is just for revision tips, notes or advice on the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello_its_me_)
    also, you have all of us here to give you a hand whenever you need it, whether it is just for revision tips, notes or advice on the course
    Hurray!...

& Work hard in 5th year. It makes 6th year so much easier...

ReputationRep:
    Is it the ABSOLUTE same as higher?

But less credible of course.
    I started off in an Int 2 class last year, and got moved up to Higher, and the difference in teaching was rather noticable. The Int 2 teacher was great, but it was a lot more 'sit down, behave yourself, and learn this', in comparison to the Higher approach of 'So, does anyone have any thoughts on what this phrase might mean?' Higher was a lot more about exploring English, whereas Int 2 seemed more focussed on learning stuff and getting a qualification. And there was less shouting at people in the Higher class, except when we talked and talked and talked and the teacher exploded at us. I miss English... it was interesting, especially the time the teacher was off and we all did colouring in

Also, the Higher Close Reading has 2 passages to analyse to death, but it looks like the Int 2 only has one passage. You might want to have a look at the SQA site and compare their sample papers. I suspect that the Int 2 questions are more straightforward - I recall doing an Int 2 close reading about... a spider or something, and I can't remember the question exactly, but I implied stuff in my answer (e.g. said 'instinct' and stuff), and didn't get marks for it, even though it was essentially right (i hope i'm remembering this correctly, but it was something like that. It was way back in my deep dark past though). If the same text was used for Higher and they were to ask a similar question, then my answer probably would have been more valid.

So, all of the above can be summarised with the answer of 'No, Int 2 isn't the absolute same as Higher'.

ReputationRep:
    Your right, social life does go down the pan in fifth year. Definately worth it though. *Sheds a silent tear* Back to school tomorrow. lol

Mike

ReputationRep:
    Ah dude, tell me about it.

& I'm in so much crap when I get back.

ReputationRep:
    i know, i was thinking to myself the other day and i realised how much i missed out on. all my mates in 6th year always refer to this party and that and i feel like i have blinked and missed the whole lot. but at the same time i am glad, it got me 6 unconditionals and i am happy. i have all the time in the world to make up on the partying and i'll get to do it in classier edinburgh :P

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had gone to my interview for my 6th choice and maybe I too could have had 6 unconditionals. *sigh*..

& you can partay with me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yossarianlives)
    I wish I had gone to my interview for my 6th choice and maybe I too could have had 6 unconditionals. *sigh*..

& you can partay with me!
    Surely school can't affect your social life THAT much. I currently don't go out on school days, mainly due to my location in comparison with friends, but do go out on the weekends and I think this trend will continue next year. Surely?

To be fair I do a hell of a lot of sport during the week which could make things harder.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.