Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

paying back loan watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering.. you know when it comes time to repay the loans, do you HAVE to keep paying at a fixed rate until its repayed? or can you just pay as much as you want.. say if you had extra money one month and wanted to pay a few hundred or something?

ReputationRep:
    You can pay back more. But at the rate they charge you interest, why bother? It's tiny!

(ie: (This is from the PN1 booklet about loans) if you earn £15000 a year (£1250 a month) you pay back only £7 a month. Even when you are earning £25000 (£2083 a month) a year you pay back just £75 a month. I'd just leave it running and invest any extra money you had.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannywales)
    I was wondering.. you know when it comes time to repay the loans, do you HAVE to keep paying at a fixed rate until its repayed? or can you just pay as much as you want.. say if you had extra money one month and wanted to pay a few hundred or something?
    There is a fixed minimum, once you earn over an amount specified by the government, and which is subject to change at their whim, but you can choose to pay anything above that limit in order to pay off the loan quicker.

ReputationRep:
    If I pay the minimum amount based on my salary (will be a teacher so I know roughly how much it'll increase by) it will take me 23/24 years to repay it all. I might have a child at uni myself by then!

ReputationRep:
    If it takes that long you should just wait until they write it off at 45! Since'll you'll be ~42 anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.