Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking about installing Linux watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to install Linux on my old pc, I'm thinking about getting either Fedora Core 5 or RedHat Enterprise, most likely the Fedora.
    Is there anything I need to consider before installing such as hardware compatibility?
    I dont know much about Linux so any help/advice would be apprieciated.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I would just go for it and worry about any issues after or during the install (FC installs are pretty intuitive). Also I find it a good idea to have another comp with me during an install, so I can check the web on any issues that arise.

Fedora Core is a great distro (although you can end up in RPM hell), you could also try CentOS (http://www.centos.org/) which is based on RedHat Enterprise.

Personally I use Gentoo, but I would not recommend it for a first install.

ReputationRep:
    Definately at least install it. Nothing wrong with Fedora Core either.

I use Arch Linux (and sometimes Slackware) in case you were wondering.

PS. I just wasted 5 minutes of my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedeye)
    If I were you I would just go for it and worry about any issues after or during the install (FC installs are pretty intuitive). Also I find it a good idea to have another comp with me during an install, so I can check the web on any issues that arise.

Fedora Core is a great distro (although you can end up in RPM hell), you could also try CentOS (http://www.centos.org/) which is based on RedHat Enterprise.

Personally I use Gentoo, but I would not recommend it for a first install.
    cent os and fedora are gonna be virtually identical, and have you not come accross the redhat package manager "yum" which works like apt-get in debian based systems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra)
    cent os and fedora are gonna be virtually identical, and have you not come accross the redhat package manager "yum" which works like apt-get in debian based systems
    Of course i've heard of yum, but IMHO I don't think it handles dependances as well as say apt-get or portage (or a least it was like that last time I used FC3, maby its improved in 4 or 5). Cent OS is not completely like FC as it is based on RedHat enterprise, which means it should be more stable and secure, as it is not used as a testbed for new technology, therefore it does not contain all the features FC has, and is aimed more at server use.

ReputationRep:
    yum is terrible, try to get a Fedora version of apt-get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monil)
    yum is terrible, try to get a Fedora version of apt-get.
    which has been discontinued as of FC5 and for good reason, i.e it didn't work, although it may not seem so yum is actually more sophisticated in the way it chooses where to download the packages, this is why it's slower, apart from that on the surface to most people it appears to work the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra)
    which has been discontinued as of FC5 and for good reason, i.e it didn't work, although it may not seem so yum is actually more sophisticated in the way it chooses where to download the packages, this is why it's slower, apart from that on the surface to most people it appears to work the same
    It's not the speed that is the problem for me, its the issue of handling dependancies. IMO I think that Ports or Portage are the best. I use Portage in Gentoo, and it takes ages as it compiles all packages from source, but it handles dependancies really well, and I never have issues with programs once they are installed.

This is not somthing I can say for yum and RPM's.

ReputationRep:
    to the OP

just go for it, you may come across problems but thats all part of the learning experience. remember - just coz it doesnt work like windows doesnt mean it doesnt work correctly

i would always suggest ubuntu to the newbies because i like it, its popular, its good etc.

suse or fedora are good choices too tho.

once you are comfortable with a few parts of linux and are no longer intimidated by the command line i suggest moving on to something more minimal that will end up being much more responsive - like arch linux (my fav) or ever gentoo if you're feeling lucky :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    i would always suggest ubuntu to the newbies because i like it, its popular, its good etc.
    thats what i've decided on, thanks for the help everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkened Angel)
    thats what i've decided on, thanks for the help everyone
    if you wait about a week, the next version of ubuntu is being released

its pretty good too!

the current version (5) is code named "breezy badger"

version 6 is "dapper drake" and as i said it is being released very soon

ReputationRep:
    Nice one. Thanks for the heads up

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to install ubuntu on an old PC and having all sorts of trouble. Of course I'm not that good with Linux really. If I'd used it I'd probably end up recommending it... it looks pretty, at least! Only thing is the installer is text based and maybe scary for new people!

I know Fedora has a nice pretty installer... just choose Auto for the complicated stuff like partitions and see how it comes out!

Only thing is that once I actually get it working I will have a Linux box sitting under my desk and nothing to use it for! Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    I've been trying to install ubuntu on an old PC and having all sorts of trouble. Of course I'm not that good with Linux really. If I'd used it I'd probably end up recommending it... it looks pretty, at least! Only thing is the installer is text based and maybe scary for new people!

I know Fedora has a nice pretty installer... just choose Auto for the complicated stuff like partitions and see how it comes out!

Only thing is that once I actually get it working I will have a Linux box sitting under my desk and nothing to use it for! Ah well.
    well it will be a handy backup system when your windows pc inevitably dies

i mean, what *cant* you do on a linux box?

nothing rly, except play posh games and get viruses :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ubuntu is currently on its third iteration (started on 4.10), with the fourth version due out in June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Ubuntu is currently on its third iteration (started on 4.10), with the fourth version due out in June.
    I downloaded 5.10 but it was the CD running version. I have 2 paritions with 1 windows XP prof and other just with some files on it. If i install linux it wont mess up my primary parition? I am considering buying another HDD, £30 is worth is as i can always use it in another machine.

ReputationRep:
    Which one do I need from torrent.fedoraproject.org? i386?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allan87)
    Which one do I need from torrent.fedoraproject.org? i386?
    probably.

iX86 is the normal intel pentium/amd athlon processor type

64 is for amd 64bit processors

ppc is for old style macs (not macintels)

ReputationRep:
    I can install this alongside windows and boot it I take it after I partition the drive?

ReputationRep:
    you get a thing called a "bootloader" installed in the master boot record of the first hard drive

basically: you get a nice menu when the computer loads up where you select which operating system to run.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.