Turn on thread page Beta

Finding a prom/ball dress with an Asian influence - where to start? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    This year I'd love to find a dress to wear to my summer prom with a bit of an asian influence (I'm thinking more Indian/Pakistani rather than Chinese/Japanese, just so you know what region of Asia I'm on about )

I've tried looking but I can't find an actual dress with an Asian twist/design - I can only seem to find saris and salwars, and although they're lovely, I'd really prefer a dress. :p:

Does anyone have any ideas as to whereabouts I might be able to start looking? :p: Has anyone ever worn an Asian-y style dress and has pictures?

+Rep for anyone who can help me! Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    you mean sort of like satine's wedding dress in moulin rouge? you might want to get a plain one and have a sash attatched by a dressmaker.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the thing to do is get a really plain, simple satin or chiffon dress and then buy a piece of beautiful Indian fabric or a stole with an asian print which you can drape around your shoulders. That way it's Asian-ish, but you still get to wear a dress that you really like!

ReputationRep:
    If you live, or know anyone in Manchester you'd be sorted! Curry Mile has soo many sari shops, that also sell material. If you know a dress maker, or can afford to pay for someone to do it, it might be worth designing a dress and buying the fabric to make it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I live in Manchester, definitely agree! There's probably similar shops online, why not try searching there? My friend's getting a dress made for her in India.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh yes - I love the stole idea
    And kittennffc, I like about an hour from manchester and I'm going shopping there on thursday, but where's curry mile? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, well its on Wilmslow Road, heading away from the city centre. If you are in the car, follow directions for Rusholme, Didsbury or Fallowfield as they are all in the same direction, you'll know when you're on Curry Mile If you are going to be taking the bus, get any 42, 142, or 143

ReputationRep:
    Hey you could always visit Bradford, I'm sure you would find something here. We have dedicated Asian areas. Streets full of asian stores, one large store I can think of is Bombay Stores they sell everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    Ahh, well its on Wilmslow Road, heading away from the city centre. If you are in the car, follow directions for Rusholme, Didsbury or Fallowfield as they are all in the same direction, you'll know when you're on Curry Mile If you are going to be taking the bus, get any 42, 142, or 143
    Thank you so much for all your help!

ReputationRep:
    No probs chick Need any help with anything, just give me a PM!

ReputationRep:
    I want this dress!!! But I don't think it'll be long enough to count as "ball" length... what do you all think? :confused:

Any ways to make it longer?! (hehe) :p:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    i think that's a lovely dress, and tbh, i think it is suitable for a ball. its not a 'casual' dress, and i think that it could look great, with the right accessories and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you get a ganghra or a lengha? Those are sort of Indian ball gowns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosalily)
    Hello
    This year I'd love to find a dress to wear to my summer prom with a bit of an asian influence (I'm thinking more Indian/Pakistani rather than Chinese/Japanese, just so you know what region of Asia I'm on about )

I've tried looking but I can't find an actual dress with an Asian twist/design - I can only seem to find saris and salwars, and although they're lovely, I'd really prefer a dress. :p:

Does anyone have any ideas as to whereabouts I might be able to start looking? :p: Has anyone ever worn an Asian-y style dress and has pictures?

+Rep for anyone who can help me! Thanks guys!
    http://www.utsavsarees.com/pages/sar...d=2&type=Party

lenghas are the best - look very smart too!
    there's loads of indian style dresses in river island and new look and ofcourse monsoon...check them out

ReputationRep:
    wow, some of those from that link are gorgeous, lovely bright colours, and so pretty too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *~vicki~*)
    wow, some of those from that link are gorgeous, lovely bright colours, and so pretty too
    and very expenisive too :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosalily)
    I want this dress!!! But I don't think it'll be long enough to count as "ball" length... what do you all think? :confused:

Any ways to make it longer?! (hehe) :p:

I think that's lovely. definitely fine for a ball, with some little heels.
    and also, that model is gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    Wow rosalily that pic you posted was gorg where is the dress from?

One think you could do if you took it to a dress maker to make it longer would be to attatch some fabric (mabye burnt orange or red) to the bottom in a fish tail shape to make it really sexy and 'red carpet' looking, v. CZJ or JLO. But it really is ok as it is.

Good luck - please tell me where the pic came from.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    You need to buy a lengha They are just like ball dresses but two piece. I would like to wear them but they are normally too ornate though so look a bit OTT for usual western functions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by button16)
    Hey you could always visit Bradford, I'm sure you would find something here. We have dedicated Asian areas. Streets full of asian stores, one large store I can think of is Bombay Stores they sell everything!
    Yep.

Bear in mind though, these dresses are normally VERY expensive.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.