Turn on thread page Beta

Work experience watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey there
    do u medics/ dentistry students think that work experience in a pharmacy will be useful when applying to a medicine or dentistry course??
    thnx in advance

ReputationRep:
    why not?
    i suppose you would learn something new about a few drugs and stuff and then theres the communication-side of it

ReputationRep:
    Try to get some Work Experience in Medical Administration of a Surgery/GP, you will find it more beneficial. You might also be allowed to shadow (but it is unlikely because of confidentiality reasons). If you are lucky try for hospital administration.

Anyway, all the best!

ReputationRep:
    Sure, it'd be great! Depending on whether it's a hospital pharmacy or a high street pharmacy, you get to meet patients/doctors, interact with the public, learn about the drugs you're dishing out, general clincical environment. You may be able to use it as a stepping stone into a work shadowing opportunity if you use your initiative. As with any shop-type job, there's communication skills, team-working ability etc all being developed.

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know is currently doing med, and he came into school to tell us prospective doctors about the course and applying and stuff. He said medical related WE is pretty much a must, but they do appreciate how hard it is to get it in a surgery or hospital, and are therefore pretty lenient about where you've taken it, provided there is some sort of medical link, that includes pharmacies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cataclysm)
    Try to get some Work Experience in Medical Administration of a Surgery/GP, you will find it more beneficial. You might also be allowed to shadow (but it is unlikely because of confidentiality reasons). If you are lucky try for hospital administration.

Anyway, all the best!
    That is exactly what I did, I was inputting stuff from the letters from consultants and test results etc. and I found it to be a very valuable experience. Whenever I came across a disease or term I didn't know I'd get out the old medical dictionary and read up on it or wikipedia it and I learnt a lot. It's also what I feel got me an offer, as I wasn't doing too well during my interview until I started going on about the business and administrative side of the NHS, how it's not an endless pot of gold and that I'm not an idealist, citing the Statin Switch as an example. The interviewers seemed really impressed by that, as I doubt many others would've known that kind of stuff or have brought it up and it would've made me stand out from the rest, which is essentially what you're trying to do. Luckily the doctor was quite safe and sometimes when I went and queried things with him (like sometimes you have to show them things so that they know) he'd explain to me how they were managing the patient and how it all works. Sorry for a bit of a wall of text, but that's just my 2 cents (or pence or whatever lol)

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.