Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Highlights/Blonde watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So a while ago I was thinking of getting highlights, I posted it here before yonks ago, and I've finally decided to get it done, I know it might look weird or what not, but I'm hoping it doesn't lol, but I just thought, if I want to get it done and see how it looks I can get it over with, without wondering how it would look. So tommorow I'm going to get my sis to try and beach it.

Any tips? Never done it before, like I don't want to do the whole lot just the top/tips kinda thing.

ReputationRep:
    please don't. this stuff is best left to the professionals. or at least be prepared to go to a hairdressers to get it fixed if it goes wrong.

if i can't dissuade you, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter. watch your sister doesn't get any on your scalp and use vaseline as a barrier round your hairline.

make sure you don't leave it on too long and if i were you i'd do a patch test 24 hours before to check the result and make sure you don't have a reaction to the dye

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Totally gotta second Bex on this.

Don't be a cheapskate innit, go to a good hairdressers. Get good quality highlights!

I've just had mine done again [but they put too much in so i look blates gay but whatever].

ReputationRep:
    oh great, didn't know it could go wrong, yeah I know about the 24 hour check, but too much effort lol, 24 whole hours lool, this is starting to sound like a mission, meh, I'll make it a trip to the hairdressers.

ReputationRep:
    i went from mousy brown to having golden blonde higlights and it looks soooooo much nicer, every1 has commented how nice it looks, sum1 told me i look more radiant!
    but yeh, first time go to a salon, its not worth the risk as a) its permanent and b) the salon are proffessionals who can tell you what shades will suit you.
    golden suits me as it warms my skin tone , platinum would look completely stupid and make me look washed out.

just remember you wear ur hair everyday!

ReputationRep:
    I once dyed one side of my hair white with a blonde highlighting pack, also not ONCE has a blonde home dye kit worked. You want good hair...go to a salon!!! Learn from my mistakes

ReputationRep:
    Ps if your roots start going orangy WASH IT OUT!!!

ReputationRep:
    hey i had highlights for years- i would NEVER do them at home. seriously, if you are sure you want them it's worth spending a bit more money and having a professional do it.
    one work of warning- if you get highlights you will get trapped into a cycle of the roots growing out, it looking weird and having to get them done again...i kept my highlights for four years until i finally summoned the courage to live with roots and grow them out...two years later they've still not grown out yet althout you can hardly see them now...
    please make sure you realise that growing them out takes a long time....and please go get it done at the hair salon!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix CG)
    So a while ago I was thinking of getting highlights, I posted it here before yonks ago, and I've finally decided to get it done, I know it might look weird or what not, but I'm hoping it doesn't lol, but I just thought, if I want to get it done and see how it looks I can get it over with, without wondering how it would look. So tommorow I'm going to get my sis to try and beach it.

Any tips? Never done it before, like I don't want to do the whole lot just the top/tips kinda thing.
    What's your original hair colour?

I dyed my hair last week. From blonde to brown. Looks pretty nice and it was my first time.

I agree with what the others said. If you want good hair get it done at the hair salon. You dont want to take any risks :p:

ReputationRep:
    Get it done at the hairdressers, unless your sister IS a hairdresser! :p: Yes, you'll have to pay a lot more than the cheap DIY kits in the shops, but it will look so much better than if you try to do it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    bought myself a cap and hook and bleach and bowl and applicator brush from Sallys (hairdresser/beauticians shop open to the public) and dyed my hair myself and it actually looked awesome, not being modest. i had my hair cut the following week and when my hairdresser asked me where i got it done, i told her and she was stunned into silence! lol might as well give it a go at home. it would have cost me £120 to have it done in the hairdressers and it cost me £10 to do it at home... in fact i'm going to buy some more bleach now to do my roots.

ReputationRep:
    £120?? Which hairdressers do you go to?? I have mine highlighted (well actually I have 3 different colours put in- copper, dark brown and blonde but still the same thing) and it only costs me £45 with a cut and blow dry!

To the OP- if you havent tried it before then I'd really recommend going to a hairdressers for them to do it, otherwise you might end up with dodgy streaks that you cant get rid of, or white hair. Alternatively try one of those semi permanent kits you can get which make your hair a little lighter, the ones you brush on- they are quite hard to use though so be warned!

ReputationRep:
    yer you make a point about if you haven't done it before. i've had my hair dyed so many times over the years, and i just sit and watch exactly what they're doing, so know how to do it, how long to wait etc.

and my hairdressers is so so nice, i wouldn't let anyone else go near my hair, they're amazing, and always do exactly what you want and perfectly, i've never come out of there pissed off. its £120 for a wash cut colour and blowdry.

ReputationRep:
    Am too scared to do it myself, I'll screw it up, will do at the hairdressers, I'm starting to think it will look really corny, I've got a few business meetings and don't want to go looking like, err i dunno what like, but I'm not sure it would look right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Em.)
    £120?? Which hairdressers do you go to?? I have mine highlighted (well actually I have 3 different colours put in- copper, dark brown and blonde but still the same thing) and it only costs me £45 with a cut and blow dry!

To the OP- if you havent tried it before then I'd really recommend going to a hairdressers for them to do it, otherwise you might end up with dodgy streaks that you cant get rid of, or white hair. Alternatively try one of those semi permanent kits you can get which make your hair a little lighter, the ones you brush on- they are quite hard to use though so be warned!
    £45!!!! OMG..it costed me £68 for highlights & 1 colour years ago...£45 would be the norm for a HALF-head of them round here... which is why i havnt been to the hairdressers for nearly 3 years....i bleach my hair myself all the time..though its different i spose cos i then dye it blue...i just slap on the bleach as if im colouring my hair which is sososososo wrong..but im just lazy...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2006
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.