Nightowl
Grr didn't edit in time :frown:

I keep doing that :p:
Reply 22
yes, you'll slip one day, and on that day.. I'll be there :cool:
Reply 23
Nightowl
yes, you'll slip one day, and on that day.. I'll be there :cool:

I hoped the thread I made would get people used to me representing Sri Lanka...

The Indian representative's comments are welcomed.
Reply 24
I am sorry it will never happen again, ever. :smile:
Reply 25
I think we as a MUN need to differentiate between BILATERAL and GLOBAL issues.

This is clearly bilateral in nature, and does not require involvement by the entire MUN.

Please guys; introducing such threads simply dilutes our topics of discussion. It is due to this very reason that people tend to go inactive.

Talk about hot topics, controversial issues, things that people can take a firm stance on, and things that we can form an informed opinion about. Not this.
Reply 26
Knogle

This is clearly bilateral in nature, and does not require involvement by the entire MUN.

Please guys; introducing such threads simply dilutes our topics of discussion. It is due to this very reason that people tend to go inactive.

Talk about hot topics, controversial issues, things that people can take a firm stance on, and things that we can form an informed opinion about. Not this.

The forum is an international one, and freedom of religion is surely important to the UN? As Chapter 1, Section 3 of the charter states:

"To achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character, and in promoting and encouraging respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion"
Reply 27
sr4470
The forum is an international one, and freedom of religion is surely important to the UN? As Chapter 1, Section 3 of the charter states:

"To achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character, and in promoting and encouraging respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion"

If you really want to be pedantic, then the MUN can discuss every darn article that the BBC or global media publishes, just because it's related (directly or indirectly) to the UN Charter. But do we? No.
Reply 28
Knogle
If you really want to be pedantic, then the MUN can discuss every darn article that the BBC or global media publishes, just because it's related (directly or indirectly) to the UN Charter. But do we? No.

Ok, but I thought it was worth discussing. Why dont you ask the SG's opinion?
Reply 29
Knogle

Don't worry, JonathanH's "Resolutions" coming soon :biggrin:

I don't think this is the most important news we've ever had but I don't think its drastically trivial that a complaint should be made to the SG.
Reply 30
I'm not making a complaint; it's silly to do so. I'm just posting my opinion so others can ruminate over it, and hopefully think about what they post the next time they think they want to. :smile:

I'm looking forward to the resolutions.
Reply 31
Germany certainly does not believe that this is a topic of international concern. Countries can hardly debate about this topic, as each country has citizens with differing beliefs.

In reply to the UN Charter Chapter 1 Paragragh 3, this 'debate' hardly qualifies, if it does at all. This Buhddism topic is not an international problem. Buhddism is not being suppressed, and thus this really isn't a freedom of religion.
Reply 32
Singapore thanks Germany for her support and similar view on this issue.
sr4470
Ok, but I thought it was worth discussing. Why dont you ask the SG's opinion?
Does it do any harm? No.
Does it increase MUN activity? Maybe.
Does it annoy people? Sometimes.

Hmm.

I don't see the problem, to be honest, as long as things stay as they are. If things get ridiculous and we're swamped with threads like "Bus crashes in Somalia, killing 7 and injuring 16 - what is the UN's response!?" then we'll know something's gone wrong.

Essentially, I worry that people might get tired of wall-to-wall disasters and crises.
Reply 34
People get bored of good news more quickly than bad news
True, but we seem to get these inoffensive threads appearing pretty often - so even if they are shorter-lived than the "What to do about Iran" type of thread it doesn't really matter.
Reply 36
Essentially, I worry that people might get tired of wall-to-wall disasters and crises.
:ditto:
Reply 37
Nepal respects China's wishes to hold a Buddhism forum. However, Nepal believes it is a trivial issue, and thus should not concern the global MUN community.

Latest

Trending

Trending