Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Outsider, Albert Camus watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There was an article in The Guardian a few days ago about reading, and how books that men read differ very much from books that females read (Anyone see this article??).

Anyway, This book was the most voted book that was read by Males. At the top of the Female list was Jayne Eyre.

Anyone read the outsider? I think it's a great lesson for life. Just because he does not lie, and does not play the game....

ReputationRep:
    I've been hunting everywhere for a copy of this book but the only ones I can find are in books with lots of Camus' other short stories and cost a fortune. If I spoke french I'd do as I do with Kafka and buy the original because it's so much cheaper but alas I forgot French a long time ago!!

ReputationRep:
    I bought mine in Waterstones, in Cambridge.

It was very small, almost didn't see it at all! And yes it was insanely expensive, £7.99....

ReputationRep:
    You can find it in transltation here (with free delivery.)

Here are three articles from The Guardian on the story: 1, 2 and 3

It's an excellent book. I wouldn't say it was my absolute favourite, but I remember reading it at 16 or so and it stayed with me for weeks. There is something very appealing about Camus's attitude towards existence (especially when you are - as I was - in the throes of a religious 'unconversion'); it somehow seems very undogmatic and free. It's also beautifully written and I'd recommend anyone who knows any French to read it in the original (it's actually written in relatively simple French).

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know about polls like that because I'm a female and I've read it (and actually enjoyed it more than Jane Eyre and I know plenty of other girls who read Camus. I just bought The Plague a few days ago but haven't started it yet. Anyone read it?

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, I enjoyed Jane Eyre much more than I do Camus. My favourite of his is The Fall.

ReputationRep:
    I really liked The Outsider, it's such a good book, but I can kind of see why men might like it more than women. I also loved Jane Eyre, not sure which one I prefer.

ReputationRep:
    I read it last summer and it definitely had a big impact on me. Although don't think I really understood all of it! I read it in French, but the language wasn't the problem, I just don't think I 'got' some of the ideas in it. Could anyone explain the 'a cause du soleil' bit to me?! Cheers! x :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I also saw that article, and whilst I enjoyed the outsider; I can't believe it beats catch 22 or catcher in the rye.
    I was also surprised they chose the metamorphosis by kafka, would've thought the trial or the castle...

ReputationRep:
    I also saw that article, and whilst I enjoyed the outsider; I can't believe it beats catch 22 or catcher in the rye.
    I was also surprised they chose the metamorphosis by kafka, would've thought the trial or the castle...
    and also, no kerouac.

ReputationRep:
    Could never get through Jane Eyre, but I love L'Etranger! Just re-read it recently and again thought it was fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Camus' works are good, but a true existentialist hard-nut reads Nausea

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm studying it in French at the moment. Really like it, especially as I've a passion for French and philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    Camus' works are good, but a true existentialist hard-nut reads Nausea
    I have that...started it yonks ago, never continued.

The outsider is almost beautiful, in a slightly pretentious, unemotional way

ReputationRep:
    Started reading it when I was 15 and finished when I was around 16. Then I re-read it in a day when I was 17 and fell in love with it.

ReputationRep:
    To conform to the stereotype, i'm male and i love The Outsider. As trite as it sounds, it's such a profound book. Both philosophically meaningful and beautiful in a literary sense, bleakness abounds. Read it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viciouscircle)
    Well I don't know about polls like that because I'm a female and I've read it (and actually enjoyed it more than Jane Eyre and I know plenty of other girls who read Camus. I just bought The Plague a few days ago but haven't started it yet. Anyone read it?
    I got the Plague for christmas (and what a wonderful christmas that was), s'good so far but I keep starting it, reading a bit then losing it, as you do...
    I didn't like jane eyre after I got past the age of nine, "Ohh, Mr R. has...ANOTHER WIFE! But it's okay because his loses his sight and then gains redemption at the end when he sees his child.."
    Pah. *haughty sniff* :p:
    The Outsider is far superior. Did it for my personal study in higher (highest mark in the year, ooh yeah, thank you camus)- he seems a bit more, damn, what's the word, not "gentle" but more thoughful and less angry than sartre.
    Anyone *finished* Nausea?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.