Is war inevitable? Watch

naivesincerity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Is there any possibility that war is not inevitable, given historical evidence? Are there any aspects of human behaviour which lasted for centuries and then eventually ceased, and if so, could the same occur with war?
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
Is there any possibility that war is not inevitable, given historical evidence? Are there any aspects of human behaviour which lasted for centuries and then eventually ceased, and if so, could the same occur with war?
Nah, i believe conflict is a bigpart of human nature, and a sense of "otherness" will always remain. And when two groups have different opinions on the way thigs should be done, it gets nasty. Whether that is in a job, or on an international scale. It really is just human nature. I honestly can't think of one human behaviour that has died out. And a few centuries doesnt even bei=gin to cover how long conflict has managed to last!
Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well the sun is due to burn out in about 5 billion years or so.
Bismarck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As long as politically-organized groups have clashing interests, and as long as the cost of war is not prohibitive, wars will continue to occur.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
As long as politically-organized groups have clashing interests, and as long as the cost of war is not prohibitive, wars will continue to occur.
Bugger cost! If people couldn't use tanks, they'd use sticks and stones!
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cottonmouth)
Bugger cost! If people couldn't use tanks, they'd use sticks and stones!
Sticks and stones don't raise the cost of war (in fact, they do the opposite). I was implying that if all states had some form of an effective nuclear deterrant (or something equally effective), it would be highly irrational for anyone to start a war.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sticks and stones don't raise the cost of war (in fact, they do the opposite). I was implying that if all states had some form of an effective nuclear deterrant (or something equally effective), it would be highly irrational for anyone to start a war.

Internationally, yes, civilly, no.
Lawz-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Youre forgetting a little thing called religion. Rationality is not metred out to the human race in equal quantities. I think some people must have missed that part of the creation...

"you ever notice how people who believe in creationism, ... look ... really unevolved?"
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
Youre forgetting a little thing called religion. Rationality is not metred out to the human race in equal quantities. I think some people must have missed that part of the creation...

"you ever notice how people who believe in creationism, ... look ... really unevolved?"
The fact that we finally agreed on something has made me so ait i must go to bed. Why are we all so nocturnal? It can't be healthy....
Lawz-
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by cottonmouth)
The fact that we finally agreed on something has made me so ait i must go to bed. Why are we all so nocturnal? It can't be healthy....
Its not hard to agree that religious fanatics are oddballs...

dont mind it - I am often up to 6 on the weekends
SolInvictus
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It is part of our nature to engage in war. In fact scientists have now found that Chimpanzees and higher level primates have now adopted warfare. The patterns are amazingly identical to ours (ie, depopulated buffer zones, intimidation, use of atrocities to scare other troops, resource nodes as centers of conflict, refugee populations) Nothing we can do will ever stop wars. The best we could do is try to keep them to a minimum.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by SolInvincitus)
It is part of our nature to engage in war. In fact scientists have now found that Chimpanzees and higher level primates have now adopted warfare. The patterns are amazingly identical to ours (ie, depopulated buffer zones, intimidation, use of atrocities to scare other troops, resource nodes as centers of conflict, refugee populations) Nothing we can do will ever stop wars. The best we could do is try to keep them to a minimum.

I agree, There are just about enough good people in the world to stem the bad, its a decent balance. Bad will never go away, but it can be combatted forever. This type of thing is why the Harry Potter book are so brilliant. The underlying concepts about human nature, racism, conflict, and what can stop it, are awesome. And they give very good moral ideologies.
deedee7
Report 12 years ago
No matter how small there must be a possibility that within a finite period war will become a 'thing of the past'. It can't be too difficult to imagine, if we had some sort of fanatics in charge of affairs a nuclear holocaust destroying a large part of the planet and leaving relatively few people. They could then decide that war really isn't a very good idea and learn to live together?
Fortunately of course we have the innate good sense to arrange leaders such as Bush and Blair (& others) so we don't have much to worry about!
SuperhansFavouriteAlsatian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If there were no wars, Hollywood would lose a big chunk of its revenue.

And for that reason alone, I don't think wars will - nor should - stop.
Tina_O
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Whilst men are in charge, then yes war is inevitable :mad:
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tina_O)
Since we all know that Elizabeth, Catherine the Great, and Thatcher never started any wars.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Since we all know that Elizabeth, Catherine the Great, and Thatcher never started any wars.
And boo-deeka!
Ferrus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well humans generally do clash in their interests, that's why you have wars, also why you have school play ground fights, political parties and office politics. Do you seen any chance of eliminating these?

Of course anarchists may see this differently, I suggest you go over to the thread that talks of that.
Q.E.D
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think that conflict is inevitable if only because we are all individual and unique, and therefore respond differently and form different opinions based on the same thing, but we may (personally I doubt it) learn to resolve this conflict in a non-violent way
British Patriot
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tina_O)
Are you mad women are far more conflicting than Men. They always moan and have an excuse for everything. Women would Nuke a Country fore charging too much import tax on nappies or lipstick. Women do make Execellent Rulars like Victoria, but as she stated . A Women will Rule The Country this Century. But the Men Will Fight It. Men Vs Women in physical Combat. There is a clear winner
IS war really inevitable it is all about understanding a (choice) - The Matrix. Do you understand a choice, eg Falklands war - Inevitble
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.54%
No (534)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise