Turn on thread page Beta

Gym for the 1st time... watch

Announcements

how ridiculous would you look with broad shoulders without being built up in other areas. Do all the exercies =P

(Original post by DPM)
    What's the military got to with it.
    its the name for an exercise..

ReputationRep:
    get the long bar, stick 10kg either side and lift it above your head and behind your head 10 times. do this for 5 sets. do this 3 times a week.
    not hard at all. shoulders will bulge in no time.
    for your traps, get the long bar with say 15kg on each side and lift it in front of you so it goes against the front part of your body from your hip to your chest, say 12 times for 4/5 sets.
    perfect shoulders then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mangaroo)
    how ridiculous would you look with broad shoulders without being built up in other areas. Do all the exercies =P
    broad shoulders look good when wearing a t-shirt.

ReputationRep:
    Don't just work out one muscle group, try to construct an all round work out and you will notice the results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrmanps)
    broad shoulders look good when wearing a t-shirt.
    not if you have stick insect arms

You have to question your motives for working out if you just want to develop one body group. Is it purely to look attract women? If so, thats a bad reason to hit the gym, and you won't attract them if you look deformed anyway.

(Original post by JasonN)
    Thats where you're wrong.

It does take a lot of time, but after a year or two of consistant weight training shoulder width will increase a lot.
    No it won't.

ReputationRep:
    If its your first time in the gym stick to heavy compound.

Benchpress - Incline and Flat
    Barbell Row
    Upright Row
    Squats
    You may find it necessary to add some core work also. Lowerback/ abs.

You'll probably find that this is more then enough to give you good growth all around. When you are starting out, it probably isn't even necessary to target the shoulders directly. The upright rows will target the medial head of the deltoid, benchpress the anterior head and row the posterior head, thats the beauty of compound exercises. Leave the Isolation exercises to the personal trainers eh!!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't forget deadlifts, dips and chins. Always been effective for me :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrmanps)
    get the long bar, stick 10kg either side and lift it above your head and behind your head 10 times. do this for 5 sets. do this 3 times a week.
    not hard at all. shoulders will bulge in no time.
    for your traps, get the long bar with say 15kg on each side and lift it in front of you so it goes against the front part of your body from your hip to your chest, say 12 times for 4/5 sets.
    perfect shoulders then
    Only good post so far.

The title is gym for the 1st time. How is the OP meant to know what military press, lateral raise is?

Simple english instructions please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starsailor)
    I wouldn't forget deadlifts, dips and chins. Always been effective for me :-)
    Indeed you could exchange deadlifts for squats, but doing both would most likely be a alot for a person new to training to be able to take.

Dips/ pullups aren't really effective until you can do eight on your own, if he's new I doubt he will be able to do that, therefore I suggest he builds his strength to a point were he can tackle these exercises to a sufficient level that will actually do some good.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do upright rows either, always **** me up a treat they do.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.