Turn on thread page Beta

Boxing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    Pacman vs PBF will be a cracker. PBF will easily take care of JMM, no sweat. That doesn't even take hesitation when I say that. But Pacman vs Floyd is definitely the very best fight that could happen in many decades.
    Why d'you think he'll beat JMM easily but not Pacquiao? The only argument I can think of is that JMM won't adjust to the weight as well as Pacquiao, but that's pure conjecture until we see the fight happen. I had JMM above Pacquiao in my P4P rankings until last night; Pacquiao had beaten a drained DLH and a paper champ whereas Marquez had taken on hard, hard fights. Stylistically, I don't think either fight is a foregone conclusion. In many ways, in fact, I think Marquez has an advantage. He does leave himself open at times, but he's a great technician and always seems to find a way to land; as we saw against Juan Diaz, even against big punchers he fires back as soon as he gets hit, and Mayweather's not used to doing anything other than the hit-and-run act, so that could cause trouble. Pacquiao is probably slightly more wild and more vulnerable to counter-punching. That said, he probably has more power and speed.

In any case, Mayweather has always struggled with precise, fast punchers. Zab Judah was beating him until he gassed (and neither Pac nor JMM will do that), and a slightly jaded DLH was troubling him with combinations for a period of their right. I wouldn't be surprised to see these fights as very close (ie. an SD).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Well we got Klitschko going to make pizza face lol

Wtf happened to Hatton's chin anyway? He ate punches back in the day but has been looking vulnerable for a couple of years now. It's over now. He's got nothing to gain, only to lose, by continuing.
    You can have the greatest whiskers since smokin' Joe, but if you jump into a big left hook, you're gonna be sparko for the count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamrock92)
    You can have the greatest whiskers since smokin' Joe, but if you jump into a big left hook, you're gonna be sparko for the count.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Why d'you think he'll beat JMM easily but not Pacquiao? The only argument I can think of is that JMM won't adjust to the weight as well as Pacquiao, but that's pure conjecture until we see the fight happen. I had JMM above Pacquiao in my P4P rankings until last night; Pacquiao had beaten a drained DLH and a paper champ whereas Marquez had taken on hard, hard fights. Stylistically, I don't think either fight is a foregone conclusion. In many ways, in fact, I think Marquez has an advantage. He does leave himself open at times, but he's a great technician and always seems to find a way to land; as we saw against Juan Diaz, even against big punchers he fires back as soon as he gets hit, and Mayweather's not used to doing anything other than the hit-and-run act, so that could cause trouble. Pacquiao is probably slightly more wild and more vulnerable to counter-punching. That said, he probably has more power and speed.

In any case, Mayweather has always struggled with precise, fast punchers. Zab Judah was beating him until he gassed (and neither Pac nor JMM will do that), and a slightly jaded DLH was troubling him with combinations for a period of their right. I wouldn't be surprised to see these fights as very close (ie. an SD).
    I say it for two primary reasons:

1) Weight. I know Pacman has adapted well, but it's sheer brilliance on Pacman's part. There are very few fighters who can fluctuate weight divisions let alone carry their power to higher weight divisions. JMM jumping to 147lb is just like Pacman taking on Hatton, but twice that pressure due to PBF brilliance and justifiable P4P fighter for many decades in my opinion. Only Sugar Robinson is better in my opinion.

JMM was also a featherweight, up until Diaz.

2) PBF never fails to show the boxing fraternity the reality that no matter how much trash PBF talks, he is the best. Look at the record. Castillo in his prime twice; Coralles; Judah; Hatton; Gatto; Corley; Chavez et al. It's ridiculously brilliant. JMM has suffered to Chris John and Pacman (both undoubtedly better than JMM).

JMM is exactly like Hatton; Mexican and brave. We saw that Pacman last night showed how he can revert to boxing ability rather than war. PBF is the master of boxing ability.

P4P Rankings in my opinion:

1) PBF
    2) Pacman
    3) Chris John
    4) JMM
    5) Hopkins

What I'm upset about is, Hatton is a loveable rogue. He represented the British well. The next massive fighter for Britain is in my opinion Amir Khan. I really think he can go far is he managed his defence well.

I'm a big fan of Haye. I can see him beating Wladmir, but not so sure if his punches would hold much weight against his brother. Froch also capable, but can't always resort to power. Junior Witter lets me down every time, even though I know he has decent enough skill.

ReputationRep:
    Ricky Hatton: A great loss for British boxing. A great character to watch, in and out of the ring. We really need an up and comer now. Amir Khan has great potential, but he just isn't a talker. Doesn't really have a great way with words.

Now this guy; a very flamboyant individual whose sheer arrogance at times, superseded his skill and ability. One of the greatest British boxers ever imo.

ReputationRep:

1) Weight. I know Pacman has adapted well, but it's sheer brilliance on Pacman's part. There are very few fighters who can fluctuate weight divisions let alone carry their power to higher weight divisions. JMM jumping to 147lb is just like Pacman taking on Hatton, but twice that pressure due to PBF brilliance and justifiable P4P fighter for many decades in my opinion. Only Sugar Robinson is better in my opinion.

2) PBF never fails to show the boxing fraternity the reality that no matter how much trash PBF talks, he is the best. Look at the record. Castillo in his prime twice; Coralles; Judah; Hatton; Gatto; Corley; Chavez et al. It's ridiculously brilliant. JMM has suffered to Chris John and Pacman (both undoubtedly better than JMM).

JMM is exactly like Hatton; Mexican and brave. We saw that Pacman last night showed how he can revert to boxing ability rather than war. PBF is the master of boxing ability.

1) PBF
    2) Pacman
    3) Chris John
    4) JMM
    5) Hopkins

What I'm upset about is, Hatton is a loveable rogue. He represented the British well. The next massive fighter for Britain is in my opinion Amir Khan. I really think he can go far is he managed his defence well.

I'm a big fan of Haye. I can see him beating Wladmir, but not so sure if his punches would hold much weight against his brother. Froch also capable, but can't always resort to power. Junior Witter lets me down every time, even though I know he has decent enough skill.
    What do you think of Hatton finishing with a British showdown, against Witter? Im pretty sure he wont want to retire on a loss, a thumping one at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mos Def)
    What do you think of Hatton finishing with a British showdown, against Witter? Im pretty sure he wont want to retire on a loss, a thumping one at that.
    I get the feeling Witter only really gets pumped up for the big fights. I don't want to see Witter beat Hatton, as that would happen if this fight ever took place, but it won't. I don't want it to happen either. I want to see Hatton walk away with his head held high. Beating the likes of Kosta Tszyu, Castillo, Malignaggi, Tackie, Urango and Collazo is a decent feat.

ReputationRep:

1) PBF
    2) Pacman
    3) Chris John
    4) JMM
    5) Hopkins
    I think the comparison of JMM to Hatton is outrageously unfair. If JMM were just like Hatton-lite, Pacquiao would have wiped the floor with him in their two fights; after all, Pacquiao was always more natural at the weight contracted for the JMM fights. JMM is a technician with a great defence and outstanding ring intelligence, and was known as a counter-puncher for most of his years at Featherweight. It's only recently that he's become more aggressive (and that's probably why he wasn't as popular as Barrera and Morales down at FW back in the day).

It would be easy to see JMM as an all-guns-blazing slugger after his last performance, but he made that a lot harder than he needed to. If he'd kept it in the centre of the ring, it would have been no contest and Diaz would have been worn out and stopped in even more convincing fashion. Seriously, though, a look at his record shows you that this guy has serious boxing ability. I also think he beats Chris John P4P. John's still an up-and-comer in my book, the (marginal) JMM win notwithstanding; especially so since he couldn't get past Juarez earlier in the year.

Also, did you really mean that only SRR beats Pacquiao P4P ATG? lol

ReputationRep:
    Also, did you really mean that only SRR beats Pacquiao P4P ATG? lol
    No. He beats everyone. PBF would be second within the ATG list. Pacman would start having to cement his place within the top 10 also very soon. It's one of those lists that's always controversial. People like Hagler, Leonard, Robinson, Moore, Chavez, Ali will have to be there. PBF definitely, Roy Jones? Hopkins? Calzaghe? Pacman? Not that I'm overlooking Willie Pep, Hearns, Duran etc. But the majority of their fights were BS.

I don't think it's at all shocking to say that any of those question marked could be within that list.

ReputationRep:
    Shane Moselys thrown his name into the hat to fight pacman, but freddies saying he needs to coem down to 140 from 147.... predictions? I don't think pac can knock out shane, he is one strong ass juiced up boxer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mos Def)
    Shane Moselys thrown his name into the hat to fight pacman, but freddies saying he needs to coem down to 140 from 147.... predictions? I don't think pac can knock out shane, he is one strong ass juiced up boxer
    Well I think he said that they'd meet in the middle, ie. 143.5. I think it's more likely Cotto will move down, but then again Cotto's got Clottey to take care of first. Mosley's got a massive strength advantage over Pacquiao, but he still could get beaten up by an accumulation of punches: after all, DLH was a lot stronger than Pacquiao (though weight drained) and he was hurt by his power.

ReputationRep:
    No. He beats everyone. PBF would be second within the ATG list. Pacman would start having to cement his place within the top 10 also very soon. It's one of those lists that's always controversial. People like Hagler, Leonard, Robinson, Moore, Chavez, Ali will have to be there. PBF definitely, Roy Jones? Hopkins? Calzaghe? Pacman? Not that I'm overlooking Willie Pep, Hearns, Duran etc. But the majority of their fights were BS.

I don't think it's at all shocking to say that any of those question marked could be within that list.
    I wouldn't have Pacquiao far up in a top 10 ATG yet. Fighters like Hearns and Pep showed great skill level when they did fight, and both ability and record have to be taken into account, obviously. And add to the names you mentioned: Louis, Tyson, Johnson, Holyfield, Armstrong, Dempsey, Tunney, Marciano, and then you have a lot of names that could push Pacman for his place.

ReputationRep:
    Well the point was he has jumped into quite a few left hooks in the past but he remained standing. Tszyu landed some bombs. He's wobbled a lot since then. He's looked a lot more vulnerable in the last couple of years. Not many expected Mayweather to knock him out cold, let alone Pacquiao. I guess his fighting style caught up with him, that combined with the far more skilled opponents. I'm not saying he could have stood up to Pacquiao's shot, with his silly tactics (or lack of) leaving him there to be hit, but he doesn't look as strong as he used to be.

ReputationRep:
    Well the point was he has jumped into quite a few left hooks in the past but he remained standing. Tszyu landed some bombs. He's wobbled a lot since then. He's looked a lot more vulnerable in the last couple of years. Not many expected Mayweather to knock him out cold, let alone Pacquiao. I guess his fighting style caught up with him, that combined with the far more skilled opponents. I'm not saying he could have stood up to Pacquiao's shot, with his silly tactics (or lack of) leaving him there to be hit, but he doesn't look as strong as he used to be.
    Well Tszyu wasn't really able to connect full power; he likes to have a bit of space to jab and then throw the right cross from range. Pacquiao can just unload at any point, and that's part of his talent. I don't think anyone would have avoided the KO, to be honest; it's an inevitable consequence of not jabbing and leaving yourself open.

ReputationRep:
    I remember Mayweather Snr saying that Hatton needs to change his lifestyle if he wants to be up there with the Pacmans and the Mayweather Jnrs. Hatton replied that he couldn't do that, as it's just who he is, but he would try to meet a compromise.
    Just sums it up really.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently he didn't listen to the corner with keeping the hands up, Snr thinks he needs to quit lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hatton talks about wanting to become the best P4P fighter, yet he's unable to commit to make the sacrifice of not blowing up after fights. Look at Mayweather, he's back and seemed in decent shape at this press conference although we'll really see how well he is against Marquez. You have to make sacrifices if you want to be the best and cutting down on pints and pies isnt that big a sacrifice IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Hatton talks about wanting to become the best P4P fighter, yet he's unable to commit to make the sacrifice of not blowing up after fights. Look at Mayweather, he's back and seemed in decent shape at this press conference although we'll really see how well he is against Marquez. You have to make sacrifices if you want to be the best and cutting down on pints and pies isnt that big a sacrifice IMO.
    Well maybe it is a big sacrifice in his book. He most likely couldn't give up the pies and pints to try and be up there with the elite. So it evidently wasn't worth it for him. Fair play to him. Great fighter, just not elite.
    Mayweather Jnr on the other hand constantly boasts about his fitness levels and the amount of rounds he spars before fights. He might act like the biggest **** in the world but he's gotta be respected for his dedication. Boxing is in his blood.

ReputationRep:
    Of course people will now blame the pies and pints, but the truth is, he demolished Malignaggi and Castillo with those same pies and pints!

There is simply no other excuse other than he was out-classed. Nothing to do with pints or over-blown weight in between fights. He needed to put his fists up for a starter, and we may of then seen his stamina in the later rounds to test on whether his pie eating had caught up with him.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah very little to do with preparation/diet etc. Just a matter of being too slow, too weak and out-thought on the night. I'm a huge Hatton fan, but looking back at his resume, his spotlight victories have been against guys coming down as opposed to guys at the top. Losing against PBF and Manny were to be expected. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.