Boxing Watch

Ascient
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well done to him and the team, who he rightly acknowledged, on a very good performance.

I love the way Freddy Roach speaks
T kay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A good fight to watch. Definitely Khan's best performance.

Tactically he was spot on, threw his combinations and quickly withdrew. His defence was much better and even when Kotelnik managed to get Khan flush, Khan's chin stood firm.

Great performance. I say a fight against Maidana or Ortiz is likely next.
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ronaldo VII)
His best fight yet.
Without doubt. Khan was composed and concentrated and he throughly deserved to win. He silenced his critics tonight, me included who needed to see more of him despite his win over Barrera. His footwork, quick and thoughout punches and taking some shots and going on the offensive was a pleasure to see. Now I hope he resists the temptation to fight Hatton and go on to some better.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lefty_P)
If anyone can, Amir Khan.
how long did you spend on that? i could've knocked that one out in 2 mins, but i would've been too embarassed

:cool:
CHRIS_PARTLOW
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol @ khan

didn't even look quick against a SLOW fighter

pmsl @ his 'power' as well. he won't be able to knock ANYBODY out at world level

he's gonna get sent home in a bodybag when/if he meets the likes of Tim Bradley, Nate Campbell or even Judah
Sakapaka
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
0.o
Klinsmannic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Good performance in which he answered a lot of questions. He showed he could take a shot, he proved he has a defense, he stuck to his gameplan and showed he can cut it with very decent level boxers. Still a couple of things he needs to work on before he can enter world class, such as greater head movement, slips and feints. He could still do a lot more to become an elusive fighter, but all the raw materials are there and you can see the work with Roach and Pacman coming into fruition. People will say Kotelnik wasn't hurt, but he keeps such a high guard and defends himself so soundly that it's hard for any fighter to connect clean...we must remember that he beat Maidana lol.

I don't know what Roach has in store for Khan, but I wouldn't go up against a Valero or a Maidana just yet. Go for a warm up fight with Malignaggi or Diaz, then start to take on these big hitters and and bury the Prescott demons once and for all. Prescott incidentally lost the other night...the Mexican dude outboxed him for large periods and deserved to win.

(Original post by CHRIS_PARTLOW)
lol @ khan

didn't even look quick against a SLOW fighter

pmsl @ his 'power' as well. he won't be able to knock ANYBODY out at world level

he's gonna get sent home in a bodybag when/if he meets the likes of Tim Bradley, Nate Campbell or even Judah
How was Khan not fast? lol Kotelnik couldn't get close and Khan's handspeed is at least as good as Bradley's imo

In terms of power I'd make two points: firstly Roach has tried to maximise Khan's speed. If you look at Khan he looks leaner even though he's gone up a division...his shoulders and back look less bulky. Secondly, Khan threw just a handfull of hooks and uppercuts because he was boxing behind the jab and not give Kotelnik any kind of stationery target. When he's more experienced and confident he'll add the powershots to his game. You also have ro remember that Kotelnik has guard tighter than any other good fighter bar Winky, and it's tough to get through it unless you're prepared to hook. Khan will hurt most other fighters.

------
Sad for Enzo btw. Might aswell retire unfortunately
Lefty_P
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Clubber Lang)
how long did you spend on that? i could've knocked that one out in 2 mins, but i would've been too embarassed

:cool:
lol I was taking the piss, as this was the phrase being thrown about by the media prior to his KO by Prescott.

@ the guy saying Khan looked slow, wtf are you on? Khan's handspeed is comparable to Pac, he's just not as agile. Blatant hatin/trollin.

However, I do think he needs another fight or two before he should defend against Maidana who is a real banger and way too risky for Khan just yet.
CHRIS_PARTLOW
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
he was running a lot, against a slow opponent

there's no point comparing his handspeed to pacquiao if barrera comes out after a fight and said he couldn't even feel his punches
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CHRIS_PARTLOW)
he was running a lot, against a slow opponent

there's no point comparing his handspeed to pacquiao if barrera comes out after a fight and said he couldn't even feel his punches
Tbf, Kotelniks speed was under-rated.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Amir done well, very well. Anyone who criticises his performance is seriously naive considering the opponent.

I also feel very sorry for Enzo. He's a nice guy, but he's there to be hit so easily. Haye ruined him and it's been a slippery slope since then. Leaving Enzo's camp also didn't help regardless of what he said about his training. Shame - I was hoping he could dominate after Haye abandoned <200lb for >200lb.

Any thoughts on Cleverly anyone? Very lean and very tall for light-heavy. Can easily beef up and move-on. Definitely one to be watching at the moment.

Also: Pacman versus Cotto in November announced. Neither shy away from the big fights do they! Again, I don't want to say on this. Pacman will meet someone who can provide the strength at 147lb and be quick on their feet; introducing Cotto!
T kay
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Né Stig)

Also: Pacman versus Cotto in November announced. Neither shy away from the big fights do they! Again, I don't want to say on this. Pacman will meet someone who can provide the strength at 147lb and be quick on their feet; introducing Cotto!
Cotto deserves this fight and I have a sneaky feeling that he would win it. But if I was betting on this fight, I'd say pacman.
Lucky_7's
Report 9 years ago
Any thoughts on Cleverly anyone? Very lean and very tall for light-heavy. Can easily beef up and move-on. Definitely one to be watching at the moment.
I've been watching him for a while and he seems to be a real talent. He was head and shoulders above McIntosh the other night.

Keeping with the ITV card, what do you think about Tyson Fury? He's one hell of a unit, but when I see him I can't help but think he could make more of his size.

I'm slightly suprised that Pac will have taken this at 147. I would have thought it may have been done at a catch, somewhere between 140 and 147 instead.
14th of Nov. should be a good night though. UFC 105 in Manchester, then this
shamrock92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lucky_7's)
I'm slightly suprised that Pac will have taken this at 147. I would have thought it may have been done at a catch, somewhere between 140 and 147 instead.
14th of Nov. should be a good night though. UFC 105 in Manchester, then this
It's at 145 lbs....
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
David vs Goliath lol. Apart from the commercial aspect this seems pointless

---

Missed the Cleverly fight but I was impressed with Billy Jo...always rated him
T kay
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So Nov 7th is Haye v Valuev. Who's your money on?

Although it's a step up (definitely in size) I'll say Haye will out-wit and out-speed him.
shamrock92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Valuev is way too cumbersome; the guy is an absolute lummox. Haye will easily get inside against this plodder - an aging Holyfield did it. I'll pick Haye to beat him on a mercy stoppage.

--

In other news, JMM looks like he's really up to take on PBF. He's been training with two-hour runs up at 15,000 ft. in the mountains outside Mexico City, and it looks like he's got a good game plan coming together. I desperately hope he wins this.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Haye will be too quick for him, but I'd like to see him put on a bit more bulk than 215lb. Valuev will try to use his weight as an advantage, but I think Haye will have this.

As for JMM, I really like him. It's just that PBF is simply awesome, whereas JMM is a workhorse. That fight I'm paying for all day long.
T kay
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by shamrock92)
Valuev is way too cumbersome; the guy is an absolute lummox. Haye will easily get inside against this plodder - an aging Holyfield did it. I'll pick Haye to beat him on a mercy stoppage.

--

In other news, JMM looks like he's really up to take on PBF. He's been training with two-hour runs up at 15,000 ft. in the mountains outside Mexico City, and it looks like he's got a good game plan coming together. I desperately hope he wins this.
That's quite a bold - but perhaps possible - prediction isn't it? Valuev has never been stopped but the guy does move in slow motion so maybe Haye will be so quick that he'll be able to crash some devastating combinations.

As for JMM and PBF, I'm looking forward to this fight. There is the possibility that PBF will show signs of ring-rust, but I still have him on points.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haye hasn't fought in ages...when did Haye last fight? He's only had two heavyweight fights. This fight is better for him, the Klitschkos may have came a bit too early for him.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
25.88%
Yes - they're famous (291)
25.53%
No I don't (554)
48.6%

Watched Threads