Boxing Watch

Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
Dirrel is the reason people like me watch MMA. I don't want to watch someone walk backwards for 36 minutes.
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by T kay)
Apparently Hatton has hinted he'll come back if he's offered a rematch with PBF.

Fat chance that happening

Although knowing PBF, I won't be surprised if he took it up to avoid Mosley/Pacman/Cotto.
that was always the case tho, they agreed imo after the fight for a rematch, it makes money sence, the idea was hatton was meant to beat pacqiou! and set it up, with floys father training hatton

that went to pot but you never no if it will happen again becauause the £££££
shamrock92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rucklo)
Dirrel is the reason people like me watch MMA. I don't want to watch someone walk backwards for 36 minutes.
"I've watched it; it's horrible; the guys roll around like homosexuals on the ground; they can't throw a punch to save their ass; when the punches land, the guys have no chins..."
Rucklo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by shamrock92)
"I've watched it; it's horrible; the guys roll around like homosexuals on the ground; they can't throw a punch to save their ass; when the punches land, the guys have no chins..."
Because a 4-6oz glove hurts a load more than a boxing glove.

And if you want to take that view you can say "I don't want to watch boxing because I don't want to see grown men hug each other."
shamrock92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Né Stig)
Dirrell didn't do enough, not nearly enough. I'm amazed at the split decision to be frank. Froch wasn't remotely in trouble the entire fight. You could say the case for Dirrell, but he ran like the wind. There was one moment in the later round (8-10) IIRC that Froch did rock him and his legs went jelly like.

Froch won the 5 out of the first 6 rounds IMO. You could argue he won all 6 in fact. So that's half the fight, not to mention the deduction of a point. That's why I'm thinking this fight wasn't a split.

Kessler will be a great fight. Calzaghe beat him somehow. For Froch to be truly thought of means beating this guy and I wouldn't like to be placing bets. I think Kessler has more power and experience, which are Froch's strongest attributes. So my heart says Froch, head says Kessler.
(Original post by Né Stig)
I watched the fight and thought Froch deserved it. Not saying he's going to be beating Abraham or Kessler, but it's good that he's getting through fights victorious without actually fighting well., By the time he does meet Kessler, he should be well equipped.
Eh? That was one of the biggest robberies I've seen in the last few years. Dirrell was constantly landing the cleaner, harder shots; Froch was sweeping at thin air. The first five rounds for Froch?! Apart from the first, I thought Dirrell won them all! And I don't accept that it was "one of those fights" that "could have gone either way". Dirrell was clearly the better man.

I'm sorry (and I keep on predicting this) but Froch is going to get absolutely schooled next time out. Kessler just has way too much of everything for him, and he comes to fight and can punch hard (unlike Dirrell). This will be like Kessler/Andrade all over again, but even more of a beat-down and with Froch getting stopped around the middle rounds with a bloody face. He'll have to be sitting in that hot tub of his for a month to recover, lol.
shamrock92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Because a 4-6oz glove hurts a load more than a boxing glove.
True, although when boxers go over to the MMA you still get them KO'ing everyone (50-year-old Ray Mercer is a good example).

And if you want to take that view you can say "I don't want to watch boxing because I don't want to see grown men hug each other."
Most boxers don't do that. Of the fights we've had this year, Mayweather/Marquez and Froch/Dirrell were really the only stinkers (and I don't even think the latter was that bad). JuanMa/Mtagwa, Marquez/Diaz and soon Cotto/Pacquiao are what great boxing is all about.
Rucklo
Report 9 years ago
True, although when boxers go over to the MMA you still get them KO'ing everyone (50-year-old Ray Mercer is a good example).
Ray Mercer won one fight didn't he? How can you base that boxers can KO anyone in MMA off one fight?

Most boxers don't do that. Of the fights we've had this year, Mayweather/Marquez and Froch/Dirrell were really the only stinkers (and I don't even think the latter was that bad). JuanMa/Mtagwa, Marquez/Diaz and soon Cotto/Pacquiao are what great boxing is all about.
Thats exactly what i'm saying, many MMA matches don't end up on the floor, you can't generalise.
shamrock92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ray Mercer won one fight didn't he? How can you base that boxers can KO anyone in MMA off one fight?
I don't; I don't think your average boxer would beat your average MMA-artist at MMA, just as I don't think your average MMA-artist would beat your average boxer at boxing. I do think the boxing that goes on in MMA is sloppy, though: the guys really can't punch like boxers, and really can't take punches like boxers. That's to be expected, though, as a lot of them have backgrounds in other sports like Judo and have latched the boxing on afterwards. MMA fighters have other skills. I just think MMA is a bit watered-down.

Thats exactly what i'm saying, many MMA matches don't end up on the floor, you can't generalise.
Well, wrestling and locking is kind of integral to the sport, is it not? I'm not saying that's always a bad thing; it's just that, personally, it turns me off.
Rucklo
Report 9 years ago
I don't; I don't think your average boxer would beat your average MMA-artist at MMA, just as I don't think your average MMA-artist would beat your average boxer at boxing. I do think the boxing that goes on in MMA is sloppy, though: the guys really can't punch like boxers, and really can't take punches like boxers. That's to be expected, though, as a lot of them have backgrounds in other sports like Judo and have latched the boxing on afterwards. MMA fighters have other skills. I just think MMA is a bit watered-down.

Well, wrestling and locking is kind of integral to the sport, is it not? I'm not saying that's always a bad thing; it's just that, personally, it turns me off.
Won't post after this cos it's a boxing thread and I don't want to be seen to be dissing boxing.

A lot of KO's in MMA come ground and pound, when you are on the floor and someone is on top of you smashing you in the head, you can't move back or dodge like in boxing, therefore your getting to get KO'd where as in boxing this won't happen.

It's been done time and time again, a boxer vs MMA or boxing vs judo and in MMA rules the MMA fighter has won 85% of the time. Sure the boxer will connect now and again, but that happens.

Boxing all you need to condition for is being hit in the head and chest by punches, guys in MMA have to condition there leg's to take kick's which if a unconditioned boxer got hit by one, would fall to the floor from a dead leg.

They don't punch like boxers because boxing is useless in MMA in the form used in boxing matches, you try do boxing in MMA and the opponent if feeling they were getting outboxed would spear you to the floor. You have to punch in a way which does not enable your opponent to grab your waist or leg for a take down, thing's boxers do not need to worry about.
shamrock92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A lot of KO's in MMA come ground and pound, when you are on the floor and someone is on top of you smashing you in the head, you can't move back or dodge like in boxing, therefore your getting to get KO'd where as in boxing this won't happen.
That's hardly a good thing. That's one of the reasons I don't think MMA operates on the same skill level as boxing: you get someone in a certain position and you just snap their arm or batter their head and it's all over in one. In boxing, there's a lot more emphasis on defence, and the fight doesn't just end once one person gets a minute advantage, and that allows for some really exciting comebacks and toughing it out.

It's been done time and time again, a boxer vs MMA or boxing vs judo and in MMA rules the MMA fighter has won 85% of the time. Sure the boxer will connect now and again, but that happens.
I agree - I said in my last post. It's not surprising that an MMA artist beats a boxer at MMA. Similarly, I'd imagine that near 100% of MMA artists would lose to boxers at boxing.

Boxing all you need to condition for is being hit in the head and chest by punches, guys in MMA have to condition there leg's to take kick's which if a unconditioned boxer got hit by one, would fall to the floor from a dead leg.

They don't punch like boxers because boxing is useless in MMA in the form used in boxing matches, you try do boxing in MMA and the opponent if feeling they were getting outboxed would spear you to the floor. You have to punch in a way which does not enable your opponent to grab your waist or leg for a take down, thing's boxers do not need to worry about.

MMA has more variety for the simple reason that it integrates different sports, so obviously they need to be prepared for different attacks. But "jack of all trades, master of none" applies here, I think. I'd rather see two boxers exchanging hydrogen bombs and taking them well than watch the kind of glass jaws that MMA is notorious for.
Rucklo
Report 9 years ago
You get about 3 "bombs" a round in boxing.
shamrock92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You get about 3 "bombs" a round in boxing.
Rubbish. You've obviously been watching too much of Cherryweather.

The thing is, I can name fights like Gatti/Ward, Ali/Frazier III, Basilio/Demarco, Hagler/Hearns, Pacquiao/Morales I and III, Zale/Graziano, Pryor/Arguello, Chavez/Taylor... the list goes on. I challenge anybody to produce me an MMA fight that had half the action, skill, heart, intensity on display! Just see these two rounds!

[youtube]7LFjuGqOlk4[youtube]

Rucklo
Report 9 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCw60HSUm3s&feature=fvw

Why do most of the fights you list happen years ago?
john87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

how can you compare a boxer's hands to a MMA'ist?

all boxers have to do is worry about hands,in MMA you need to worry about hands, kicks, knees, elbows, takedowns, submissions etc, of course a boxer will be better at boxing than an MMA guy, not to mention, loads of the little moves in boxing and head movements are useless in MMA so it will never look as "crisp" as it does in boxing.

comparing the two sports is dumb, they are apples and oranges
T kay
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCw60HSUm3s&feature=fvw

Why do most of the fights you list happen years ago?
And then Forrest Griffin got KO'd by a jab from Anderson Silva. A jab?!
Rucklo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by T kay)
And then Forrest Griffin got KO'd by a jab from Anderson Silva. A jab?!
Yeah he obviously had some problems in that fight, you can quite clearly see from that fight he can take blows.

Khan got KO'D by a jab and he's a world champion now in boxing lmfao.
T kay
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah he obviously had some problems in that fight, you can quite clearly see from that fight he can take blows.

Khan got KO'D by a jab and he's a world champion now in boxing lmfao.
Quite a bit of a difference between a boxer's jab and a MMA jab though isn't there.

And the Griffen v Bonnar fight was one of few MMA fights that was actually fought primarily on feet, not f****** around on the floor.

Sorry, I think MMA is okay but nothing to boxing.
Rucklo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by T kay)
Quite a bit of a difference between a boxer's jab and a MMA jab though isn't there.

And the Griffen v Bonnar fight was one of few MMA fights that was actually fought primarily on feet, not f****** around on the floor.

Not much difference, MMA punch is harder if anything because of the smaller gloves.
T kay
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not much difference, MMA punch is harder if anything because of the smaller gloves.
Smaller gloves yes, I'd still rather getting punched by an MMA fighter than a boxer.
john87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by T kay)

that is your opinion, personally I prefer the well roundedness of MMA which is a closer representation of a real fight over the one dimensional sport of boxing

if you want to see a good MMA fight, go watch clay guida vs diego sanchez that happened a few months ago, **** was pure fire
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads