Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimber)
    Damn great fight, if Cotto was smarter in earlier rounds he could have really troubled Pacquiao. Its a shame it was stopped in the 12th though, now let the Pacquiao vs Mayweather hype begin again!
    Pacquiao's going to lose. Mayweather may be a ***** to talk to because he's always going on about himself and even if he does do a fair amount of opponent-dodging, I'm actually quite confident he would have won anyway on those fights. If Pacquiao-Mayweather were to happen (not unless Shane Molsey challenged Pacquiao in another true Welterweight fight), which seems inevitable, Mayweather would win proving too difficult a target to hit. Quite strange that really - you'd thought that his head would be the biggest target yet in boxing.
    Saying that, I really blew this fight on the cheek. I honestly thought that Cotto would have Pacquiao down in the sixth or seventh round. Cotto didn't have a bad night, he just lost fair and square and I don't think Pacquiao was once hurt on any body shot - did you see that every single time it happened, Pacquiao just absorbed it like nothing ever happened; Cotto must have been scared out of his wits!

ReputationRep:
    Pacquiao is not human.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JiangYu)
    Pacquiao's going to lose. Mayweather may be a ***** to talk to because he's always going on about himself and even if he does do a fair amount of opponent-dodging, I'm actually quite confident he would have won anyway on those fights. If Pacquiao-Mayweather were to happen (not unless Shane Molsey challenged Pacquiao in another true Welterweight fight), which seems inevitable, Mayweather would win proving too difficult a target to hit. Quite strange that really - you'd thought that his head would be the biggest target yet in boxing.
    Saying that, I really blew this fight on the cheek. I honestly thought that Cotto would have Pacquiao down in the sixth or seventh round. Cotto didn't have a bad night, he just lost fair and square and I don't think Pacquiao was once hurt on any body shot - did you see that every single time it happened, Pacquiao just absorbed it like nothing ever happened; Cotto must have been scared out of his wits!
    Haha the fights got to happen, Floyd is no doubt pissed that he isn't seen as p4p by most people & Pacquiao probably just wants to shut him up. It would be a great fight though - totally contrasting styles like a masterclass for each style really. My money would be on Mayweather too - hes too slick.

As for the Cotto fight, I was really rooting for Cotto to win, seems like a really nice guy from 24/7 & in the first couple rounds it looked realistic but then the knockdowns just sapped his energy. Your right about Pacquiao though his punch resistance & chin is insane, Cotto smashed him square on the chin & he didn't even stumble + all the rib shots, jeeez.

ReputationRep:
    I dont get why Pac has 5 actual belts - he won 1 last night right - but they say he is a 5 weight champion - i thought that meant he has won 5 titles in 5 weight classes - surely if you move up a division you have to give up the belt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    I dont get why Pac has 5 actual belts - he won 1 last night right - but they say he is a 5 weight champion - i thought that meant he has won 5 titles in 5 weight classes - surely if you move up a division you have to give up the belt?
    Yeah Pac doesnt hold 5 belts at the moment he is/has been a champion in 5 different weight classes (hes actually won belts at 7 weight classes but 2 of them weren't major belts), Just like Floyd Mayweather is a 5-weight-champion

ReputationRep:
    how comes he actually had 5 belts with him at the end of the match?

they just for show?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimber)
    Haha the fights got to happen, Floyd is no doubt pissed that he isn't seen as p4p by most people & Pacquiao probably just wants to shut him up. It would be a great fight though - totally contrasting styles like a masterclass for each style really. My money would be on Mayweather too - hes too slick.

As for the Cotto fight, I was really rooting for Cotto to win, seems like a really nice guy from 24/7 & in the first couple rounds it looked realistic but then the knockdowns just sapped his energy. Your right about Pacquiao though his punch resistance & chin is insane, Cotto smashed him square on the chin & he didn't even stumble + all the rib shots, jeeez.
    Next question: Would Manny have KOed Cotto in the 12th had it not been stopped?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    how comes he actually had 5 belts with him at the end of the match?

they just for show?
    I think a new belt is made everytime the title changes hands but I'm not 100%, so he gets to keep the belt but is not the current belt. Or they could've just been replica belts I guess

I don't think so, Manny slowed down after 9th round & Cotto seemed determined to reach the fianl bell. It was a stupid decision, if the ref was going to call a stoppag it shouldve been done in the 9th.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Pacquiao was absolutely brilliant. I'm amazed that he could carry such power all the way up to welterweight and not lose any of his speed! I was also impressed by his chin, he took some punches flush on the chin but he just absorbed them.

I think in parts Cotto fought very well. When he kept his distance and used that left jab I think he posed some problems for Manny but I think the red mist came down on him and he went in exposed. But kudos to Cotto, he has heart and I think he should have been allowed to carry on in the 12th. He took greater punishment in the 9th round but survived.

Bring on Pacquiao v PBF! I hope PBF doesn't dodge this. I have a feeling he'll only agree to a fight if Manny agrees to fight with one hand! But what a fight that would be.

Congrats to Manny, a world champion at five different weights. I think he's only the fifth fighter? (Sugar Ray Leonard, Hearnes, ODLH, PBF and now Manny). I thought his speed would win him the fight but I was truly shocked that he could carry such power at 145.

Now PBF v MP next year would possibly be fight of the decade.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. He took a greater barrage of punches in the 9th and clung on. And in the 12th his legs didn't give up on him. He should have been allowed to finish the fight.

Pacquiao will KO Mayweather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilongo)
    It's as if i was talking to myself, SELF..

jose
    t kay
    Nabster_88
    ermaindefoe

They weren't even looking my way, pai
    Sorry dude, join in this discussion.

PBF or Manny?

ReputationRep:
    Who do you think is P4P number one right now?

If they were to fight, even though Manny was awesome last night, I just think PBF is too slick. He'll pick him off. It would be a great fight and I hope both parties agree to it.

(Original post by T kay)

If they were to fight, even though Manny was awesome last night, I just think PBF is too slick. He'll pick him off. It would be a great fight and I hope both parties agree to it.
    Honestly think you have to say Manny is, Floyd has only had one fight since coming back and it would be unfair to put him at the top after that.

I seem to have got my predictions right recently, will stay with saying Manny will win but will be very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Honestly think you have to say Manny is, Floyd has only had one fight since coming back and it would be unfair to put him at the top after that.

I seem to have got my predictions right recently, will stay with saying Manny will win but will be very interesting.
    It is a hard fight to call. Two years ago I think most people would say PBF would win but Manny has progressed so much under Roach's tuition.

PBF's only fought once yes but look at how good he was against a top performer! Fair enough, weight was massively in his favour. But the fight showed that he hasn't lost any of his speed, fitness or that defence. And even though Manny's defence has massively improved under Roach, I still think he'll be open for PBF to hit him.

If the fight was to happen, Manny would have to stick to his all-out to style to have a chance of winning. There's no way he should adapt his style to a more cautious approach just because PBF is there. Manny will have to go for a KO, just like he does in all of his fights, while PBF will most likely run away and pick him off when he can.

It would be a brilliant fight, the two best fighters and two of the ATG's head to head. I hope they give the fight all us fans want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    It is a hard fight to call. Two years ago I think most people would say PBF would win but Manny has progressed so much under Roach's tuition.

PBF's only fought once yes but look at how good he was against a top performer! Fair enough, weight was massively in his favour. But the fight showed that he hasn't lost any of his speed, fitness or that defence. And even though Manny's defence has massively improved under Roach, I still think he'll be open for PBF to hit him.

If the fight was to happen, Manny would have to stick to his all-out to style to have a chance of winning. There's no way he should adapt his style to a more cautious approach just because PBF is there. Manny will have to go for a KO, just like he does in all of his fights, while PBF will most likely run away and pick him off when he can.

It would be a brilliant fight, the two best fighters and two of the ATG's head to head. I hope they give the fight all us fans want.
    Definitely would be too close to call but I think Manny can win. Roach would obviously find a way to get at PBF. But I don't think going for the KO would be it - that would play into PBF's hands wouldn't it ?

Then again, playing a technical game against PBF would be bad too because as has been said he can just pick people off. I don't know tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Great fight, amazing from Pacman. I had PBF down as clear fav if they were to fight but after that i'm not so sure. I cant wait for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    I still go for Mayweather as being No 1 P4P. I doubted him too many times, always thinking that the next fighter would be the answer to breaking him down. I thought Castillo would do it, I then thought ODLH would, and I was convinced Hatton would have a great chance due to his brash in your face style. But no.

It's not about one return fight; it's about his career up to now. Marquez was more than a worthy opponent and PBF beat him.

It's just a privilege to be in an era where you could argue that two of the greatest p4p boxers have ever lived.

Pacman vs PBF?

I reckon Mayweather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    I still go for Mayweather as being No 1 P4P. I doubted him too many times, always thinking that the next fighter would be the answer to breaking him down. I thought Castillo would do it, I then thought ODLH would, and I was convinced Hatton would have a great chance due to his brash in your face style. But no.

It's not about one return fight; it's about his career up to now. Marquez was more than a worthy opponent and PBF beat him.

It's just a privilege to be in an era where you could argue that two of the greatest p4p boxers have ever lived.

Pacman vs PBF?

I reckon Mayweather.
    I agree with you on that one. I just think PBF is too smooth for Manny, I don't see Manny getting through that defence a lot. Arguably the best defence ever? Plus PBF has the discipline to stick to his game plan, unlike Cotto. Manny does have a chance, he's in the form of his life and no doubt Roach will have prepared an excellent fight plan but my money would be on PBF.

Anyone see the sky sports interview with PBF? He said he wants to fight Manny but it's up to him to get the ball rolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T kay)
    I agree with you on that one. I just think PBF is too smooth for Manny, I don't see Manny getting through that defence a lot. Arguably the best defence ever? Plus PBF has the discipline to stick to his game plan, unlike Cotto. Manny does have a chance, he's in the form of his life and no doubt Roach will have prepared an excellent fight plan but my money would be on PBF.

Anyone see the sky sports interview with PBF? He said he wants to fight Manny but it's up to him to get the ball rolling.
    I saw that interview and it was such b*ll**k*. How many times has Mayweather been asked if he would like to fight Manny? In all occassions, he too, has dodged the question. I don't even know why he's bothering because Pacquiao has already said on State TV that he'd like to fight Mayweather because he, "Talks too much".

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 16, 2019
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.