The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2641
JiangYu
To be honest, I disagree with the last point. The only one who is stubburn is Mayweather and Co. No one has ever stepped up to them to say, "You don't run the fucking show" until now or rather, no one acted on it until now.

C'mon....Arum's just pissed for losing him back in the day and now its personal between them, if Arum wasn't here the fight would be on. Floyd aint being stubborn...I thought he agreed to the weight, gloves & a 50/50 split. I'm betting Pacquaio is begging for the fight to go ahead...unless theres something more sinister going on,,$50 million's alot of money to call off a fight over a little blood test.
Reply 2642
That was a really interesting article shamrock ^
Reply 2643

Quite a frank interview, but nobody is doubting Manny being a drugs cheat. I just don't understand why he doesn't simply allow this one simple thing which is pretty much mandatory in all sports.

I hope however that since the State Commission has taken things by the scruff of the neck, that this whole saga can be resolved.
Né Stig
Quite a frank interview, but nobody is doubting Manny being a drugs cheat. I just don't understand why he doesn't simply allow this one simple thing which is pretty much mandatory in all sports.

I hope however that since the State Commission has taken things by the scruff of the neck, that this whole saga can be resolved.

Well, I don't see the problem with Pacquiao requesting a day or two-long period of immunity to testing. He's not "bending the rules", since these are totally new things Mayweather's introducing. And it's not as if he's going to be improving his performance by doping across 24 hours, is it?
In the interview, Ariza says that Amir Khan is a free agent now. I'd heard that he was nearing the end of his deal with Warren, but no news on whether he'd renewed with FW. Is it likely he will sign with Warren?

Khan has said in the past, when he came back from Athens and was turning pro that Golden Boy had wanted him then but tbh, all promoters have something in it for them and Id rather he stay with FW for the meantime.

About the Pac/Mayweather fight, it looks increasingly unlikely that it will happen, which is a huge shame.
Reply 2646
shamrock92
Well, I don't see the problem with Pacquiao requesting a day or two-long period of immunity to testing. He's not "bending the rules", since these are totally new things Mayweather's introducing. And it's not as if he's going to be improving his performance by doping across 24 hours, is it?

You can improve performance over 24 hours though....EPO, blood doping etc.
Reply 2647
jimber
C'mon....Arum's just pissed for losing him back in the day and now its personal between them, if Arum wasn't here the fight would be on. Floyd aint being stubborn...I thought he agreed to the weight, gloves & a 50/50 split. I'm betting Pacquaio is begging for the fight to go ahead...unless theres something more sinister going on,,$50 million's alot of money to call off a fight over a little blood test.

Touche' on the Bob Arum point - fair enough. On another point, Roach has Yuri in sight but I swear Pacquiao never wanted to go to Super Welter. I thought that Welterweight was as far a division as he would go.
Reply 2648
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bendirs/2009/12/there_are_reasons_why_boxing.html
Echoes my views entirely....+ 1st comment
"There is an episode of HBO's 24/7 Pacquaio Hatton series which shows Manny taking a blood test 24 days before the Hatton fight. Dan Rafeal of ESPN has noticed that and is looking for answers from the Pacquaio camp. It simply does not add up! "

Not too sure if pac would fight yuri, just as long as its not malinaggi, hatton destroyed him so imagine what pac could to him....
jimber
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bendirs/2009/12/there_are_reasons_why_boxing.html
Echoes my views entirely....+ 1st comment
"There is an episode of HBO's 24/7 Pacquaio Hatton series which shows Manny taking a blood test 24 days before the Hatton fight. Dan Rafeal of ESPN has noticed that and is looking for answers from the Pacquaio camp. It simply does not add up! "

Not too sure if pac would fight yuri, just as long as its not malinaggi, hatton destroyed him so imagine what pac could to him....

Version of Malignaggi that fought Diaz >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Version of Malignaggi that fought Hatton.

But still, yeah. Malignaggi would just hold and hold and hold and run and run and run, and he'd still get beaten up. That would be a terrible fight.

I'd really love to see Pacquiao vs. Mosley right now. That would be a massive legacy-enhancer if he can prove he has the strength to compete with a really strong Welterweight, and really put him in the mix in terms of being one of the GOATs.
Reply 2650
Pacquiao V. Mosley - I see Mosley winning it big time although he did get beat by Cotto, who gave him a good fight.
Reply 2651
I think if the fight falls through, then Pacquaio will face Foreman. If PBF ducks Mosley then it will be infinitely clear that he is a ducker and dodger who hand-picked a lot of his fights. I find him really frustrating, he's so talented but why doesn't he have the balls to fight the best there is?!
JiangYu
Pacquiao V. Mosley - I see Mosley winning it big time although he did get beat by Cotto, who gave him a good fight.

That's flawed logic. Mosley lost to Cotto, Margarito annihilated Cotto and Mosley preceded to annihilate Margarito.

Frazier beat Ali, Foreman beat Frazier and then Ali beat Foreman.

Taylor beat Hopkins, Pavlik beat Taylor and then Hopkins beat Pavlik.

Meehan beat Dempsey, Fulton beat Meehan and Dempsey beat Fulton.

Mosley hits harder than Cotto, he's faster, he's stronger, he's got a granite chin, one of the best trainers in the world in his corner. I think Pacquiao would struggle with Mosley, much like Floyd would but neither have the balls to fight him.

Mayweather's been ducking Mosley for a while and team Pacquiao demanded Mosley come down to 142 catchweight to fight Pacquiao and when he agreed they turned him down and opted for Cotto (who, even Roach admits, was clearly not the same fighter post-Margarito).

T kay
I think if the fight falls through, then Pacquaio will face Foreman. If PBF ducks Mosley then it will be infinitely clear that he is a ducker and dodger who hand-picked a lot of his fights. I find him really frustrating, he's so talented but why doesn't he have the balls to fight the best there is?!

That has something to do with Mayweather's lack of confidence in his ability. Zab Judah, a 4 round fighter, gave Mayweather fits for the first 4 rounds of their fight and when he fell off he lost. Castillo actually beat Floyd Mayweather in the first fight that they had, and Castillo is similar (but not as good) fighter to Miguel Cotto. Mayweather ducked Cotto because he knew he'd struggle with him.
The fact is, haters are always going to find someone he didn't fight or he should have.

What is this ducking :snow::snow::snow::snow: about, he can fight who he wants providing its a top class fighter, who all his most recent fights have been.
Powerhouse
The fact is, haters are always going to find someone he didn't fight or he should have.

What is this ducking :snow::snow::snow::snow: about, he can fight who he wants providing its a top class fighter, who all his most recent fights have been.

I'm assuming you're talking about Mayweather..

His most recent fights have sucked. The Hatton fight was a farce, the boxing fans wanted to see Cotto vs. Mayweather but Floyd didn't want anything to do with Cotto who was tearing through everybody in his path. I made an absolute killing off of the Hatton/Floyd fight when many bookies in this country had Hatton as the favourite, I probably made myself in excess of £200 from that fight. He retired without beating a single elite fighter from 140-154. He returns to fight a super-featherweight who was campaigning at lightweight in Juan Manuel Marquez and came to the ring weighing close to 160lbs. Floyd had an advantage in every single department going into the Marquez fight yet you're going to say that Marquez was a "top-class fighter?" No chance. He sure as hell is at super-featherweight and lightweight, but definitely not at welterweight.

List of elite fighters Floyd Mayweather ducked:

Acelino Freitas

Miguel Cotto

Joel Casamayor

Antonio Margarito

Winky Wright

Shane Mosley

Kostya Tszyu

Paul Williams

During Floyd's amateur years, he idolised 'Sweet Pea' Pernell Whitaker. He tried to emulate Whitaker's style and it's a shame that he didn't also try to emulate Whitaker's fighting heart because Sweet Pea would fight anybody.
Sweet Pea
I'm assuming you're talking about Mayweather..

His most recent fights have sucked. The Hatton fight was a farce, the boxing fans wanted to see Cotto vs. Mayweather but Floyd didn't want anything to do with Cotto who was tearing through everybody in his path. I made an absolute killing off of the Hatton/Floyd fight when many bookies in this country had Hatton as the favourite, I probably made myself in excess of £200 from that fight. He retired without beating a single elite fighter from 140-154. He returns to fight a super-featherweight who was campaigning at lightweight in Juan Manuel Marquez and came to the ring weighing close to 160lbs. Floyd had an advantage in every single department going into the Marquez fight yet you're going to say that Marquez was a "top-class fighter?" No chance. He sure as hell is at super-featherweight and lightweight, but definitely not at welterweight.

List of elite fighters Floyd Mayweather ducked:

Acelino Freitas

Miguel Cotto

Joel Casamayor

Antonio Margarito

Winky Wright

Shane Mosley

Kostya Tszyu

Paul Williams

During Floyd's amateur years, he idolised 'Sweet Pea' Pernell Whitaker. He tried to emulate Whitaker's style and it's a shame that he didn't also try to emulate Whitaker's fighting heart because Sweet Pea would fight anybody.

You could make a list of every good fighter a good fighter has missed, so what? You can't fight every fighter out there.

Yeah beating an unbeaten Hatton was a farce, what does that make Pacman's fight against him?.
Powerhouse
You could make a list of every good fighter a good fighter has missed, so what? You can't fight every fighter out there.

Yeah beating an unbeaten Hatton was a farce, what does that make Pacman's fight against him?.

You're missing the point completely. It's not as if Mayweather avoided fighting these guys to take on other world class opposition, he outright ducked anybody who was a legitimate threat to him. He took on two PRIME elite fighters throughout his entire career, Castillo and Chico. Floyd avoided the guys I listed to fight the likes of Bruseles, Corley, Mitchell, a shot Arturo Gatti, N'Dou. It's not like he was opting to face other world class opposition.. he outright avoided anybody who could have potentially beaten him.

Floyd fought an unbeaten Hatton, who was proven to be an average fighter when he stepped up to the welterweight limit (elite at junior welterweight, non-elite at welterweight) ahead of Miguel Cotto. Everybody was clamouring for a Cotto-Mayweather showdown but Floyd ducked him, as usual.

Floyd refused to fight Antonio Margarito, instead opting to fight Carlos Baldomir for $1 (yes.. one dollar) more than what Top Rank offered him to fight Margarito. People wanted to see Margarito-Mayweather, they weren't interested in watching Baldomir lose a lop-sided and very predictable decision.
Sweet Pea
You're missing the point completely. It's not as if Mayweather avoided fighting these guys to take on other world class opposition, he outright ducked anybody who was a legitimate threat to him. He took on two PRIME elite fighters throughout his entire career, Castillo and Chico. Floyd avoided the guys I listed to fight the likes of Bruseles, Corley, Mitchell, a shot Arturo Gatti, N'Dou. It's not like he was opting to face other world class opposition.. he outright avoided anybody who could have potentially beaten him.

Floyd fought an unbeaten Hatton, who was proven to be an average fighter when he stepped up to the welterweight limit (elite at junior welterweight, non-elite at welterweight) ahead of Miguel Cotto. Everybody was clamouring for a Cotto-Mayweather showdown but Floyd ducked him, as usual.

Floyd refused to fight Antonio Margarito, instead opting to fight Carlos Baldomir for $1 (yes.. one dollar) more than what Top Rank offered him to fight Margarito. People wanted to see Margarito-Mayweather, they weren't interested in watching Baldomir lose a lop-sided and very predictable decision.

One weight class does not turn you from elite to :snow::snow::snow::snow:, it barely has an effect if your any good.
Powerhouse
One weight class does not turn you from elite to :snow::snow::snow::snow:, it barely has an effect if your any good.

Some fighters struggle with the added weight of themselves and their opponent. Fighters at 140lbs usually come into the ring at about 150-152lbs. Fighters at 147lbs usually come into the ring at 160lbs, which is the middleweight limit. A fighter like Ricky Hatton didn't have the same physical advantages at 147 that he had at 140lbs. Not every fighter can adapt to the step-up in weight.
Sweet Pea
Some fighters struggle with the added weight of themselves and their opponent. Fighters at 140lbs usually come into the ring at about 150-152lbs. Fighters at 147lbs usually come into the ring at 160lbs, which is the middleweight limit. A fighter like Ricky Hatton didn't have the same physical advantages at 147 that he had at 140lbs. Not every fighter can adapt to the step-up in weight.

this is exactly right

Latest