The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

T kay
I wouldn't start celebrating just yet :p:

We may hear news of a 'hand injury'. You never know with Floyd, I'll only be convinced once both fighters are in the ring.

Floyd knows that this fight is the only fight out there that matters for him. If he ducks it with another BS injury excuse then I'll be forced to lose all faith in his return.

Jingers
He's not got a weak chin, but it definitely isn't the strongest. Either way, he near enough stands up immediately and then wins.

I think he'd win over Lopez. It might not be as dominating a performance as over Mtagwa, but Lopez fizzles out near the end of a fight. TBF though, he hasn't fought a fighter as good as Lopez.

Lopez/Gamboa is a pick 'em fight if you ask me. Lopez was drained when Mtagwa took him close and looked better against a respected champion in Luevano. Gamboa on the other hand fights with his hands low relying on his lightning quick reflexes and devastating power. There are still question marks over his chin (although I think it's more of a balance issue ala Tito Trinidad early in his career) and whether he can take Lopez power or not. The same applies to Lopez and whether he can take Gamboa's power.
Reply 2801
HELLO, MR. CLEVERLY!

He's the current British, Commonwealth and European Light Heavyweight Champion. We could have a new British World Champion in a matter of months!! You British guys aren't doing so bad are you? You're getting better but a long way off the Mexicans.
Nathan Cleverly has some serious potential. They should throw him in with a guy like Diaconu who's past his prime but still has some name value.
Sweet Pea
Nathan Cleverly has some serious potential. They should throw him in with a guy like Diaconu who's past his prime but still has some name value.

Diaconu/Andrade has been rumoured.
How do we all like young Valero on here?
Reply 2805
shamrock92
How do we all like young Valero on here?

He can punch that's for sure. Is it something like all 27 wins by way of KO? I think it's only a matter of time till he gets a big fight.
but should he be boxing if he has such bad brain troubles

iirc he can only get a permit to fight in texas no?

that aside he is puncher but needs a test
jermaindefoe
but should he be boxing if he has such bad brain troubles

iirc he can only get a permit to fight in texas no?

that aside he is puncher but needs a test

Yeah, he's only got medical clearance to fight in Texas. I'm not sure whether there's a genuinely heightened risk of him getting damaged, though I read that Barry McGuigan's come out yelling for him to retire.
T kay
He can punch that's for sure. Is it something like all 27 wins by way of KO? I think it's only a matter of time till he gets a big fight.

Yeah, I think he's much more than just a slugger though. Very quick feet, good range control, slipping and ducking skills and a much better defensive fighter than he's given credit for. We all know about the punching ability. He looked great against well-rounded boxer DeMarco whom many tipped to beat him. I think the kid has a lot of potential, and really is similar to a young Pacquiao - that's not just hype. Someone like Freddie Roach could smooth over those rough edges and start developing a bit of a bag of tricks, angles, feints etc. a la Pacquiao, and he would be right up there at the top of the sport.

JMM/Valero would be awesome right now if JMM can make weight.
JMM would do well to fight Valero. The reason being is that Valero is a lesser version of Pacquiao, and JMM beat Pacquiao clearly in their second fight. JMM has dropped off a bit, but he's still got enough in him to be able to beat Valero.

JMM beats Valero and then retires.. in an ideal world. He'll most likely go after Amir Khan and get beaten by the cherry picking team Khan because Khan is a styles nightmare for him at this point. It's amazing that Khan managed to avoid Maidana & Bradley and has now ended up with a fight against Paulie Malignaggi. Shocking.
Sweet Pea
JMM would do well to fight Valero. The reason being is that Valero is a lesser version of Pacquiao, and JMM beat Pacquiao clearly in their second fight. JMM has dropped off a bit, but he's still got enough in him to be able to beat Valero.

JMM beats Valero and then retires.. in an ideal world. He'll most likely go after Amir Khan and get beaten by the cherry picking team Khan because Khan is a styles nightmare for him at this point. It's amazing that Khan managed to avoid Maidana & Bradley and has now ended up with a fight against Paulie Malignaggi. Shocking.

JMM has a lot of miles on the clock, though, and his reflexes are dwindling. He'd have handled Valero in his prime, but now? I think it would be a tough fight.
shamrock92
JMM has a lot of miles on the clock, though, and his reflexes are dwindling. He'd have handled Valero in his prime, but now? I think it would be a tough fight.

I see where you're coming from, but I think Valero's power at 135 (he intends to move up to 140 now, where JMM wants to fight) is overrated and his power at 140 will even further decrease. I think Valero can take JMM close, but he won't beat him. He doesn't have the world class fights under his belt yet.

Nice sig.
Sweet Pea

he tried saying that marquez was avoiding me

all he did was call marquez out, when he said he didnt want the fight - hes apparently ducking khan - hes such a joke
jermaindefoe
he tried saying that marquez was avoiding me

all he did was call marquez out, when he said he didnt want the fight - hes apparently ducking khan - hes such a joke

Team Marquez don't want Khan because he's a styles nightmare. It's no JMM, he'll fight anybody they put in front of him but Nacho Beristain doesn't want to throw Marquez in with a tall, quick fighter with lateral movement. Especially not now that Marquez is on the decline.

Beristain is guilty of protecting Marquez on quite a few occasions, the most well known being rejecting an immediate rematch with Pacquiao and rejecting a fight with Prince Naseem Hamed.
Sweet Pea
Team Marquez don't want Khan because he's a styles nightmare. It's no JMM, he'll fight anybody they put in front of him but Nacho Beristain doesn't want to throw Marquez in with a tall, quick fighter with lateral movement. Especially not now that Marquez is on the decline.

Beristain is guilty of protecting Marquez on quite a few occasions, the most well known being rejecting an immediate rematch with Pacquiao and rejecting a fight with Prince Naseem Hamed.

I guess what we are all trying to say is khan is a khant :getmecoat:
jermaindefoe
I guess what we are all trying to say is khan is a khant :getmecoat:

:woo:

An over-confident, cherry picking idiot who was stupid enough to play the race card (despite the likes of Honeyghan, Benn, Watson, Eubank, Lewis & Hamed becoming world wide names). Can't stand him. Would love to see somebody Prescott him again.
Reply 2816
It's been a while since I posted - Kessler match moved a week later. Anyone waiting for an upset on Froch's part? I've seen him a quite a few of his fights and I don't know whether it's just me or not but it doesn't seem as if he punches with any particular hardness although they do create knockouts. I don't know whether it's just the middleweight in general but the Welterweight and Heavyweight divisions sure seems a lot more bloody.
JiangYu
It's been a while since I posted - Kessler match moved a week later. Anyone waiting for an upset on Froch's part? I've seen him a quite a few of his fights and I don't know whether it's just me or not but it doesn't seem as if he punches with any particular hardness although they do create knockouts. I don't know whether it's just the middleweight in general but the Welterweight and Heavyweight divisions sure seems a lot more bloody.

I never have been a fan of Kessler. I couldn't see the big deal in him, he's a come forward guy with a hard right hand (although it's recently be discovered that he's been double wrapping, which is illegal.) and a good chin. It was really only Calzaghe fans who tried to big him up but since Ward showed him up to be a come forward guy who cannot adapt to different styles and struggles with movement.

I'd love Froch to KO him.. Taylor, Dirrell, Pascal & Kessler is a damn good resume.
Sweet Pea
I never have been a fan of Kessler. I couldn't see the big deal in him, he's a come forward guy with a hard right hand (although it's recently be discovered that he's been double wrapping, which is illegal.) and a good chin. It was really only Calzaghe fans who tried to big him up but since Ward showed him up to be a come forward guy who cannot adapt to different styles and struggles with movement.

I'd love Froch to KO him.. Taylor, Dirrell, Pascal & Kessler is a damn good resume.

I think you might be selling him a little short there, Pea. Always came across to me as a well-rounded boxer-puncher type, with good technique, defence, excellent balance, could crack, had a good chin etc. He was never going to be Sugar Ray Robinson, but a very good fighter. Ward may have "showed him up" to an extent, but I think that version of Kessler bares virtually no comparison to the Kessler that fought Andrade, for instance.

Anyway, I'd expect any half-decent version of Kessler to dispense with Froch quite easily. Unfortunately, he doesn't look as sharp as he used to be (despite all the changes he's supposedly made to his training, plus the time off etc.) and I've got an awful feeling he's going to turn up in a crappy state and that Froch will scrape out the W and then blab on about how he's beating all the best at 168 etc. God I really hate Froch. Lucky to get past Pascal, ultra-lucky to get past Taylor and ultra-ultra-lucky to get that absolute gift from Dirrell.

Certainly, the pre-Palle-saga Kessler would have done a complete job on Froch.
shamrock92
I think you might be selling him a little short there, Pea. Always came across to me as a well-rounded boxer-puncher type, with good technique, defence, excellent balance, could crack, had a good chin etc. He was never going to be Sugar Ray Robinson, but a very good fighter. Ward may have "showed him up" to an extent, but I think that version of Kessler bares virtually no comparison to the Kessler that fought Andrade, for instance.

Don't get me wrong, he has very good technique and will always beat the B fighters. But as soon you bring speed and lateral movement into the equation, he struggles (see: Ward & Calzaghe). He doesn't know how to adapt when he's losing fights, he just went head hunting when he knew he couldn't beat Ward. He's obviously lost a step or two and isn't the same fighter he was circa. 2007.

Anyway, I'd expect any half-decent version of Kessler to dispense with Froch quite easily. Unfortunately, he doesn't look as sharp as he used to be (despite all the changes he's supposedly made to his training, plus the time off etc.) and I've got an awful feeling he's going to turn up in a crappy state and that Froch will scrape out the W and then blab on about how he's beating all the best at 168 etc. God I really hate Froch. Lucky to get past Pascal, ultra-lucky to get past Taylor and ultra-ultra-lucky to get that absolute gift from Dirrell.

Certainly, the pre-Palle-saga Kessler would have done a complete job on Froch.

I'd love Froch to beat Kessler, but it won't happen. Kessler is too technically sound, even the post-prime version of him is going to give Froch a whooping because he loves guys who come at him and can handle them all day long. If Froch beats Kessler then luck or not (with regards to his past victories) you cannot deny that he's building up a solid resume of fighters. Pascal has gone onto achieve some solid success at 175, Taylor gave himself a good showing in the opening few rounds vs. Abraham before he inevitably gassed (can't believe he gassed so early against a guy who barely throws a punch) and Dirrell should have got the decision against Froch but when you come to a guys hometown and you fight the champion so negatively, you're bound to be on the losing end of the stick.

Latest