The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Né Stig
I get tired of people stating that boxers always dodge people.

Amir Khan was allowed to fight Salita on the basis that the winner fights Marcos Maidana, the interim WBA champ. Khan beat Salita and in order for him to keep hold of his title he HAD to fight and beat Marcos Maidana (who's the interim champ). However team Khan decided against this and got HBO to pay team Maidana some step aside money so that Khan does not have to fight Maidana for at least the next 18 months. :no:

Malignaggi is supposedly the toughest out of that lot (apart from Bradley), and he's taken him square on after Paulies good win to Diaz.

Malignaggi is not better than Devon Alexander, Timothy Bradley or Marcos Maidana. Bradley & Alexander are both better boxers and whilst Malignaggi is the superior technician to Maidana, I and the majority of fans feel that Maidana possesses the sorts of tools that Khan is trying to avoid (relentless pressure, devastating punch power and a granite chin).

Paulie offers the key to better fighters - not Maidana.

Maidana is recognised as the one of the most dangerous fighters in the JWW division. His punch output, punch power and granite chin make him a styles nightmare for every fighter in the division. Team Khan does not want to throw their guy in the ring with somebody who poses that much of a threat to HBO's new golden boy.

And I do think Khan will clear up. The only thing that could wreck his challenge is power - and Paulie doesn't exactly have that in abundance.

Khan will not clear up. He will not beat Devon Alexander or Timothy Bradley. The best chance at a top fighter in the division is Marcos Maidana and that's assuming he can get through 12 rounds without Maidana tapping that chin.
Reply 2881
The long awaited face-off for Mosley v Mayweather
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFsJwbEHzOI&feature=sub
Reply 2882
jimber
The long awaited face-off for Mosley v Mayweather
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFsJwbEHzOI&feature=sub

Such a great fight this.

PBF is undoubtedly P4P king, but I don't like him as a person. I like Shane Mosley, and weirdly I kind of want him to lose, as I think it will show to many how good PBF is.

But in any event - Shane will walk in the ring heavier than Floyd, but will ultimately lose to superiority in boxing skill and defence. 1st May - so long away!
Reply 2883
vilongo
There's no secret that manny is almost as complete a boxer as Sugar Ray Robinson

No, he isn't. Not even close.

Pacquiao is a great fighter and easily the most accomplished Asian fighter of all-time, but stylistically he is no way near as special or versatile as Ray Robinson, Duran, Ray Leonard, Napoles etc.
cazs

Pacquiao is a great fighter and easily the most accomplished Asian fighter of all-time, but stylistically he is no way near as special or versatile as Ray Robinson, Duran, Ray Leonard, Napoles etc.

Exactly. Robinson is actually the most complete fighter of all time. A man who fought and beat fighters of EVERY style (whilst Pacquiao struggles with counter punchers who lead with the right hand). SRR is hands down the greatest of all time, if anybody wants a Sugar Ray Robinson resume and career breakdown as well as links to all of his fights then send me a PM and I'll get that to you ASAP.
Reply 2885
Sweet Pea
Exactly. Robinson is actually the most complete fighter of all time. A man who fought and beat fighters of EVERY style (whilst Pacquiao struggles with counter punchers who lead with the right hand). SRR is hands down the greatest of all time, if anybody wants a Sugar Ray Robinson resume and career breakdown as well as links to all of his fights then send me a PM and I'll get that to you ASAP.

I wouldn't mind if you sent me that actually :smile:
Reply 2886
cazs

Sweet Pea

that's your opinion, and I have a right to mine.
Both our opinions are in contradiction because both of us feel as though we know better than the other when it comes to boxing.

In your opinions, you state that pacquiao isn't as complete a boxer as sugar ray (as I stated) because I'm assuming you both have seen lots of sugar ray robison reels like, have a keen eye for boxing techniques, footing, power, and speed.
Maybe we're confusing the terms of what a 'complete boxer is.
One doesn't have to achieve every virtue that another before him has accomplished to be considered 'complete'.'

I can tell you soundly that in order for you to tell me, and convince others of your opinion, you must first come up with more than a simple assertion based on mere subjectivity.
Support your assertion as I will right now:
Manny Pacquiao (to me) is as complete a boxer as Sugar ray robinson (notice i didn't say, or trying to imply that manny could 'beat' sugar ray) because his historical achievements rivaled those of sugar ray robinson by far.

Sugar ray, in his life time, has dubbed in 6 weight divisions, and won over 6 championships (junior lightweight- middle); whereas, manny has dubbed into 6 weight divisions (from bantam to welter) and has obtain 6 world championships at those weight divisions--that rivals even floyd mayweather who didn't even come up as hasty as manny to fight world class boxers.
(Though I understand records can be very deceptive, manny has beat, nonetheless, boxers at world class levels. Ray has fought world class boxers and of course, 173 (amateur fights not included) fights in his lifetime would make him the most experienced boxer known to man.)

Like sugar ray robinson, manny pacman has the faculty of strength, which seems immune to weight change when you realize how his power isn't affected by weight. That's a rare natural virtue that robinson was known for; being able to knock out middle weights as a lightweight.
Robinson started out as a lightweight, and moved up to conquer the middleweight division. Manny has been up from bantam to welter--which is even more so laden with competition due to the prestige and lucrativeness in the welter and middle weight division in the 21th century-- where advertisement is now even more so ubiquitous due to the inception of telecommunication technology, and the innovation in advertisement.

Manny has one of the most EXCITING and volatile styles out there as a southpaw due to his training discipline; which allows him to put pressure on an opponent; force that opponent to fight manny
s fight; cut the ring down for that opponent; confuse and disorientate the opponent with a combination of faints and power with 'both hands' (like roberto duran and surgar ray robinson); and allows him to fight both, inside and outside with a consistent boxing mechanism in his style.

This is the type of mechanism that all great fighters obtain as they raise from pro to 'elite' (think bernard hopkins, roy jones, mayweather, lennox lewis, the kilischkos, ali, sugar ray leonard, ect). And to me, he's just a better overall boxer than mayweather even if he looses against him. Styles determine who wins fights, not their boxing record, and I'm not saying mayweather isn't going to beat manny, i believe manny can give him a challenge, but I really doubt that manny is a great contender for floyd just because of the media hype he's procured over the years. I feel as though we have to focus on the techniques here, and whose techniques, and natural abilities can endure against another boxers abilities, and this is why, in my opinion (that hasn't failed me), floyd would find a challenge with boxers on the outside, like those of the ones I mentioned in my last post.
Reply 2887

LMFAO.
I can't argue with somebody who thinks Sugar Ray Robinson fought in the junior middleweight catgeory. Robinson fought in the lightweight, welterweight, middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. He won titles in the welter and middleweight categories and defeated the lightweight world champion Sammy Angott during his brief stay at lightweight but was never given a title shot. He was also one round from beating light heavyweight champion Joey Maxim before collapsing due to heat exhaustion.

It's not that hard to win titles in multiple divisions when you have the following belts available: WBC, WBO, WBA, IBF & Ring Magazine. You also have the luxury of divisions a few pounds north and a few pounds south. In the great Sugar Ray Robinson's (who had 85 amateur fights, not the 173 you seem to think he had. His amateur record is 85-0) day there were no junior and super divisions, no alphabet titles. There was simply ONE world title in each weight class (flyweight, bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight). That's it.. 8 weight classes, 8 world titles. Not the 5 world titles in the 17 or so weight classes there are now.

I'll PM you the Robinson related stuff now T kay.
Reply 2889
vilongo

LMFAO.

You make a good argument in your previous post, although slightly contradictory in that you state 'style wins fights', then post utter nonsense with the tag "LMFAO" over Hamed/Barrera?
Reply 2890
Sweet Pea
I can't argue with somebody who thinks Sugar Ray Robinson fought in the junior middleweight catgeory. Robinson fought in the lightweight, welterweight, middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. He won titles in the welter and middleweight categories and defeated the lightweight world champion Sammy Angott during his brief stay at lightweight but was never given a title shot. He was also one round from beating light heavyweight champion Joey Maxim before collapsing due to heat exhaustion.

You've said nothing counter intuitive to my last post.
Junior lightweight and lightweight is a matter of 5 lbs, it's saying the same, im going by ibf standards.

And the hell are you on? of course junior lightights existed back then, 130's weren't classified under specific categories is all the difference until the inception of boxing organizations like the IBF 30 years later or so. I was being accurate about the weight he was in during the time because he might have been considered a middle weight, but he was really, now, a super middle weight during the late 50's.
How is this relevant to manny not being at on sugar rays league?

It's not that hard to win titles in multiple divisions when you have the following belts available: WBC, WBO, WBA, IBF & Ring Magazine.

Oh really? Why don't you assert that to a career boxer and see how hard it is just to win an amateur boxing title. It's easy to spread the titles to different divisions now, but the fighters and competition doesn't change, mate.

You also have the luxury of divisions a few pounds north and a few pounds south. In the great Sugar Ray Robinson's (who had 85 amateur fights, not the 173 you seem to think he had. His amateur record is 85-0) day there were no junior and super divisions, no alphabet titles. There was simply ONE world title in each weight class (flyweight, bantamweight, featherweight, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight, light heavyweight, heavyweight). That's it.. 8 weight classes, 8 world titles. Not the 5 world titles in the 17 or so weight classes there are now.

I'll PM you the Robinson related stuff now T kay.

I never said he 'had' 173 amateur fights , read again please :
"173 (amateur fights not included)" these were his 'wins'. he had 200 fights in total.

i said 6 not 5 championships, and notice how once again, you have seem to skim my post rather than read it entirely; I said championship for ray and 'world championship' for manny.

Championship were the following belts sugar ray had obtain in 6 different class divisions now, because there were differences in weight if you check the record ACCURATELY:

NBA World welterweight tilte - Tommy Bell, 12/20/1946
World welterweight title - Tommy Bell, 12/20/1946
Pennsylvania State World middleweight title - Robert Villemain, 6/5/1950
NBA World middleweight title - Gene Fullmer, 5/1/1957
NYSAC World welterweight title - Tommy Bell, 12/20/1946
(one can be in the middleweight class, but have a difference of 5 lbs, and still be considered middleweight, period. I'm just putting an accurate stamp to the correct weight class as we know them today.)

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=009625&cat=boxer&pageID=2

so what's left? How far does manny stand behind sugar ray? I simply consider manny to be on sugar rays league, your vitriol comes from not reading properly. Don't make assumptions just by skimming details, look at them, read them. I'm sorry if you didn't get them the first time, ill make it a bit more clear next time.
Reply 2891
Né Stig
You make a good argument in your previous post, although slightly contradictory in that you state 'style wins fights', then post utter nonsense with the tag "LMFAO" over Hamed/Barrera?

styles do win fights, for example: Joe calz totally out-boxed roy jones--whose style (or should i say technique) totally worked against him since his unorthodox fighting regiment was ironically designed to confuse a boxer with a load of faints, and instead, the faints were totally working against him in his fight with joe. Joes unorthodox style totally deceived and frustrated jones since he finally got a taste of his own bobing and weaving medicine.

How was that contradictory?
lol I simply found naseem's cocky attitude declining in that fight and it made me smile to see him disenchanted and frustrated in that fight, that's all. Still bewildered?
[QUOTE="vilongo"]You've said nothing counter intuitive to my last post.
Junior lightweight and lightweight is a matter of 5 lbs, it's saying the same, im going by ibf standards.

And the hell are you on? of course junior lightights existed back then, 130's weren't classified under specific categories is all the difference until the inception of boxing organizations like the IBF 30 years later or so. I was being accurate about the weight he was in during the time because he might have been considered a middle weight, but he was really, now, a super middle weight during the late 50's.

You said:

Sugar ray, in his life time, has dubbed in 6 weight divisions, and won over 6 championships (junior lightweight- middle)

Which is completely inaccurate. He won titles in 2 weight divisions and fought in 4, not the 6 you seem to think he fought in (lightweight, welterweight, middleweight and light heavyweight) I merely pointed out that the junior and super divisions did not exist during Robinson's career. That's a fact, what the hell are you on?

How is this relevant to manny not being at on sugar rays league?

I love how Manny gets whooped by Marquez twice, steps up and beats a ****** Diaz, a weight drained and shot Oscar, a post-prime Hatton, a post-prime Miguel Cotto and a B-level Joshua Clottey and suddenly he's in the same league as Sugar Ray Robinson.

Oh really? Why don't you assert that to a career boxer and see how hard it is just to win an amateur boxing title. It's easy to spread the titles to different divisions now, but the fighters and competition doesn't change, mate.

Of course it's easy for a decent fighter to win a world title when there are 5 titles and 17 or 18 weight classes. Look at David Diaz, Nikolay Valuev, Felix Sturm, Isaac Hlatshwayo, Jan Zaveck.. they all won "world" titles in some of boxings most historically rich divisions. Promoters can buy there fighters shots at world titles now, it's just that simple. A guy like Sturm can cherry pick average competition his entire career (which he has done) and when he gets beaten by an average fighter, that fighter will precede to do the exact same thing.

I never said he 'had' 173 amateur fights , read again please :
"173 (amateur fights not included)" these were his 'wins'. he had 200 fights in total.

My bad.

i said 6 not 5 championships, and notice how once again, you have seem to skim my post rather than read it entirely; I said championship for ray and 'world championship' for manny.

so what's left? How far does manny stand behind sugar ray? I simply consider manny to be on sugar rays league, your vitriol comes from not reading properly. Don't make assumptions just by skimming details, look at them, read them. I'm sorry if you didn't get them the first time, ill make it a bit more clear next time.

Haha, Manny is not in Sugar Rays league. Look at the level of opposition that Robinson beat, it simply is not even close:

Pete Lello (#3 LW 1940)
Sammy Angott (#1 LW 1940, LW Champ 1941, #2 LW 1943, #8 WW 1945)
Maxie Shapiro (#8 LW 1942)
Marty Servo [Undefeated] (WW Champ 1946)
Fritzie Zivic (WW Champ 1940, #3 WW 1941, #8 WW 1942)
Maxie Berger (JWW Champ 1939, #6 WW 1940)
Norman Rubio (#10 WW 1941)
Reuben Shank (#8 MW 1943)
Tony Motisi (#9 WW 1942)
Jake LaMotta (#6 MW 1942, #1 MW 1943, #2 MW 1944, #3 MW 1945, #1 MW 1946)
(#5 MW 1947, #3 MW 1948, MW Champ 1949 & 1950)
Izzy Janazzo (#2 WW 1940, #8 WW 1941 & 1943)
Vic Dellicurti (#10 MW 1944)
Al Nettlow (couple close fights with Bob Montgomery, beat Maxie Berger)
California Jackie Wilson (#2 WW 1941, #3 WW 1942)
Ralph Zannelli (#5 WW 1943, #4 WW 1947)
Henry Armstrong (WW Champ 1938 & 1939, #1 WW 1940, #2 WW 1942, #1 WW 1944)
Sheik Rangel (#10 WW 1942)
George Martin (beat Ralph Zannelli, Garvey Young, V. Vines, Pedro Montanez, Battling Battalino)
(Andy Callahan)
Tommy Bell (#1 WW 1946, #2 WW 1947)
George Costner (#5 WW 1947, #2 WW 1949)
Jimmy McDaniels (#4 WW 1944)
O'Neill Bell (just beat George Costner, Jackie Wilson, and Fritzie Zivic back to back to back)
Joe Curcio (beat Fritzie Zivic, Cecil Hudson, and Johnny Green)
Vinnie Vines (beat Sam Baroudi and Jackie Alzek)
Ossie Harris (beat Tommy Bell, Reuben Shank, and Fritzie Zivic)
Cecil Hudson (beat Tommy Bell, Fritzie Zivic, Freddie Dixon, Ossie Harris, & Sheik Rangel)
Artie Levine (beat Jimmy Doyle, Marvin Bryant, Vic Dellicurti, Herbie Kronowitz, & Joe Agosta)
Georgie Abrams (#5 MW 1946)
Jimmy Doyle (#2 WW 1945, #7 WW 1946)
Billy Nixon (beat Johnny Green, Buster Tyler, & Johnny Hutchinson)
Chuck Taylor (beat Frankie Abrams, Tony Pellone, and Honeychile Johnson)
Henry Brimm (beat Vic Dellicurti, Holman Williams, Joey DeJohn, Arte Towne, & Tony Elizondo)
Bernard Docusen (#3 WW 1948 & 1949)
Kid Gavilan (#1 WW 1948, 1949, 1950, & 1951, WW Champ 1952 & 1953)
Bobby Lee (beat Livio Minelli, Billy Nixon, Nava Esparza, Dorsey Lay, Honeychile Johnson)
(Chico Varona, & Gene Burton)
Don Lee (beat Jimmy McDaniels, Vince Foster, Sheik Rangel, Joe Danos, Howard Bleyhl)
(Billy Tierney)
Earl Turner (beat Sheik Rangel, Fred Apostoli, Cecil Hudson, Cocoa Kid, Don Lee, Jackie Wilson)
(George Costner, George Duke, etc)
Steve Belloise (#2 MW 1948, #5 MW 1949)
Al Mobley (beat Fritzie Zivic, Georgie Benton, Honeychile Johnson, George Martin, Sylvester Perkins)
(Otis Graham, & Bert Linam)
Aaron Wade (#7 MW 1945)
Ray Barnes (#7 MW 1950)
Robert Villemain (#3 MW 1949, #8 MW 1950, #9 MW 1951)
Charley Fusari (#3 WW 1950, #8 WW 1951)
Jose Basora (#4 MW 1943 & 1944)
Joe Rindone (beat Ralph Zannelli, Paul Pender, Bob Murphy, Pierre Langlois, Joe Blackwood)
(Charley Zivic, & Henry Lee)
Bobo Olson (#3 MW 1952, MW Champ 1953 & 1954, #1 MW 1955)
Bobby Dykes (#2 WW 1952, #5 MW 1953)
Jean Stock (beat Randy Turpin, Bobby Dawson, Omar Kouidri, Cyrille Delannoit, Robert Charron)
(Edouard Tenet)
Luc van Dam (beat Jean Stock, Cyrille Delannoit, Jacques Royer Crecy, Albert Finch)
(Bep van Klaveren, & Felix Wouters)
Hans Stretz (beat Randy Turpin, Jacques Royer Crecy, Al Mobley, Peter Mueller, Rudi Pepper)
(Carl Schmidt, Heinz Sanger, Alex Buxton, Johnny Sullivan, Franco Festucci)
Holley Mims (#8 MW 1953, #3 MW 1954, #6 MW 1955)
Cyrille Delannoit (#5 MW 1948)
Randy Turpin (#1 MW 1951 & 1952, MW Champ 1951)
Rocky Graziano (#3 MW 1946, MW Champ 1947, #10 MW 1948 & 1951)
Garth Panter (beat Pierre Langlois, Walter Cartier, and Earl Turner)
Rocky Castellani (#1 MW 1953, #2 MW 1954, #5 MW 1955)
Gene Fullmer (#1 MW 1956, MW Champ 1957, #2 MW 1957 & 1958)
(#1 MW 1959, 1960, 1961, & 1962)
Carmen Basilio (WW Champ 1955 & 1956, MW Champ 1957, #1 MW 1958)
Denny Moyer (#9 MW 1961, #6 MW 1962, JMW Champ 1963, #9 MW 1968, #2 MW 1969)
Ralph Dupas (#2 WW 1961, #3 WW 1962, #4 WW 1963, JMW Champ 1963)
Yoland Leveque (beat Bennie Briscoe, Jacques Marty, Art Hernandez, & Bo Hogberg)
Reply 2893
Sweet Pea

You said:

Sugar ray, in his life time, has dubbed in 6 weight divisions, and won over 6 championships (junior lightweight- middle)

Which is completely inaccurate. He won titles in 2 weight divisions and fought in 4, not the 6 you seem to think he fought in (lightweight, welterweight, middleweight and light heavyweight) I merely pointed out that the junior and super divisions did not exist during Robinson's career. That's a fact, what the hell are you on?

Are you ignoring those championships belts i mentioned?

another thing, I said the following too:

vilongo
Championship were the following belts sugar ray had obtain in 6 different class divisions now, because there were differences in weight if you check the record ACCURATELY

The issue here is that you're classifying the divisions by the early 1930's standards. I'm looking at the record here and looking at the weight disparity and classifying the weights by our new refined boxing weight division.

Those latter belts were won at this weight by robinson: Tommy Bell-146lbs, Jake Lamotta--155/160lbs; Gene Fullmer-160lbs; Robert Villemain-159 lbs.

These weight's aren't all different? Show me these '2' infamous weight titles because I feel it's just a issue of semantics when we speak of 'championships title belts.

I love how Manny gets whooped by Marquez twice, steps up and beats a ****** Diaz, a weight drained and shot Oscar, a post-prime Hatton, a post-prime Miguel Cotto and a B-level Joshua Clottey and suddenly he's in the same league as Sugar Ray Robinson.

homie, sugar ray lost plenty of decision fights just like manny, you really haven't seen the reels i've seen so you speak very subjectivity and superficial, therefore, i can only tell you that it's a matter of opinion.

I really don't see manny as someone who is at par with sugar ray, but like china with the usa, manny is on brink of a new league--sugar rays legaue. By todays standards, yes, we can say that there's a lot more safety, and less crude than it was 40-50 yrs ago, however, boxing is just as competitive as it always was, even more so now, just a lot more comfortable and bearable. Like i stated before, style (technique) determine fights more so than a boxers abilities. Joshua was overwhelmed by manny for godsakes, it was totally obvious from the get-go. Marquez is a great boxer, and though he didn't get the decision, he still had his match, and to me, he didn't get credit for those rounds that he rightfully won,this doesn't mean that manny was any less a great boxer p4p as sugar ray was. He's on his league to me for beating a decision over marquez.

Of course it's easy for a decent fighter to win a world title when there are 5 titles and 17 or 18 weight classes. Look at David Diaz, Nikolay Valuev, Felix Sturm, Isaac Hlatshwayo, Jan Zaveck..

correct, sugar ray as well.

they all won "world" titles in some of boxings most historically rich divisions. Promoters can buy there fighters shots at world titles now, it's just that simple. A guy like Sturm can cherry pick average competition his entire career (which he has done) and when he gets beaten by an average fighter, that fighter will precede to do the exact same thing.

Just so you know, srr was a great businessman as well, so I can speculate as you can when it comes to conspiracy.
My point is that you're placing SRR in a position of infallibility,and impunity simply because you really do admire the 'past' as if it was a time of innocence, and candor when it came to business, drugs, and or illegals activities like 'cheating' during the fight.
I respect SRR as a boxer and i could never state that manny was a
'better' boxer than he was since it's obviously absurd to say so, im simply saying that as a young fighter, especially in this stressful time in boxing histroy, manny stands out like a sore thumb with puss, and it's time to recognize that not for the media hype, but because of his record.

Haha, Manny is not in Sugar Rays league. Look at the level of opposition that Robinson beat, it simply is not even close:

Pete Lello (#3 LW 1940)
Sammy Angott (#1 LW 1940, LW Champ 1941, #2 LW 1943, #8 WW 1945)
Maxie Shapiro (#8 LW 1942)
Marty Servo [Undefeated] (WW Champ 1946)
Fritzie Zivic (WW Champ 1940, #3 WW 1941, #8 WW 1942)
Maxie Berger (JWW Champ 1939, #6 WW 1940)
Norman Rubio (#10 WW 1941)
Reuben Shank (#8 MW 1943)
Tony Motisi (#9 WW 1942)
Jake LaMotta (#6 MW 1942, #1 MW 1943, #2 MW 1944, #3 MW 1945, #1 MW 1946)
(#5 MW 1947, #3 MW 1948, MW Champ 1949 & 1950)
Izzy Janazzo (#2 WW 1940, #8 WW 1941 & 1943)
Vic Dellicurti (#10 MW 1944)
Al Nettlow (couple close fights with Bob Montgomery, beat Maxie Berger)
California Jackie Wilson (#2 WW 1941, #3 WW 1942)
Ralph Zannelli (#5 WW 1943, #4 WW 1947)
Henry Armstrong (WW Champ 1938 & 1939, #1 WW 1940, #2 WW 1942, #1 WW 1944)
Sheik Rangel (#10 WW 1942)
George Martin (beat Ralph Zannelli, Garvey Young, V. Vines, Pedro Montanez, Battling Battalino)
(Andy Callahan)
Tommy Bell (#1 WW 1946, #2 WW 1947)
George Costner (#5 WW 1947, #2 WW 1949)
Jimmy McDaniels (#4 WW 1944)
O'Neill Bell (just beat George Costner, Jackie Wilson, and Fritzie Zivic back to back to back)
Joe Curcio (beat Fritzie Zivic, Cecil Hudson, and Johnny Green)
Vinnie Vines (beat Sam Baroudi and Jackie Alzek)
Ossie Harris (beat Tommy Bell, Reuben Shank, and Fritzie Zivic)
Cecil Hudson (beat Tommy Bell, Fritzie Zivic, Freddie Dixon, Ossie Harris, & Sheik Rangel)
Artie Levine (beat Jimmy Doyle, Marvin Bryant, Vic Dellicurti, Herbie Kronowitz, & Joe Agosta)
Georgie Abrams (#5 MW 1946)
Jimmy Doyle (#2 WW 1945, #7 WW 1946)
Billy Nixon (beat Johnny Green, Buster Tyler, & Johnny Hutchinson)
Chuck Taylor (beat Frankie Abrams, Tony Pellone, and Honeychile Johnson)
Henry Brimm (beat Vic Dellicurti, Holman Williams, Joey DeJohn, Arte Towne, & Tony Elizondo)
Bernard Docusen (#3 WW 1948 & 1949)
Kid Gavilan (#1 WW 1948, 1949, 1950, & 1951, WW Champ 1952 & 1953)
Bobby Lee (beat Livio Minelli, Billy Nixon, Nava Esparza, Dorsey Lay, Honeychile Johnson)
(Chico Varona, & Gene Burton)
Don Lee (beat Jimmy McDaniels, Vince Foster, Sheik Rangel, Joe Danos, Howard Bleyhl)
(Billy Tierney)
Earl Turner (beat Sheik Rangel, Fred Apostoli, Cecil Hudson, Cocoa Kid, Don Lee, Jackie Wilson)
(George Costner, George Duke, etc)
Steve Belloise (#2 MW 1948, #5 MW 1949)
Al Mobley (beat Fritzie Zivic, Georgie Benton, Honeychile Johnson, George Martin, Sylvester Perkins)
(Otis Graham, & Bert Linam)
Aaron Wade (#7 MW 1945)
Ray Barnes (#7 MW 1950)
Robert Villemain (#3 MW 1949, #8 MW 1950, #9 MW 1951)
Charley Fusari (#3 WW 1950, #8 WW 1951)
Jose Basora (#4 MW 1943 & 1944)
Joe Rindone (beat Ralph Zannelli, Paul Pender, Bob Murphy, Pierre Langlois, Joe Blackwood)
(Charley Zivic, & Henry Lee)
Bobo Olson (#3 MW 1952, MW Champ 1953 & 1954, #1 MW 1955)
Bobby Dykes (#2 WW 1952, #5 MW 1953)
Jean Stock (beat Randy Turpin, Bobby Dawson, Omar Kouidri, Cyrille Delannoit, Robert Charron)
(Edouard Tenet)
Luc van Dam (beat Jean Stock, Cyrille Delannoit, Jacques Royer Crecy, Albert Finch)
(Bep van Klaveren, & Felix Wouters)
Hans Stretz (beat Randy Turpin, Jacques Royer Crecy, Al Mobley, Peter Mueller, Rudi Pepper)
(Carl Schmidt, Heinz Sanger, Alex Buxton, Johnny Sullivan, Franco Festucci)
Holley Mims (#8 MW 1953, #3 MW 1954, #6 MW 1955)
Cyrille Delannoit (#5 MW 1948)
Randy Turpin (#1 MW 1951 & 1952, MW Champ 1951)
Rocky Graziano (#3 MW 1946, MW Champ 1947, #10 MW 1948 & 1951)
Garth Panter (beat Pierre Langlois, Walter Cartier, and Earl Turner)
Rocky Castellani (#1 MW 1953, #2 MW 1954, #5 MW 1955)
Gene Fullmer (#1 MW 1956, MW Champ 1957, #2 MW 1957 & 1958)
(#1 MW 1959, 1960, 1961, & 1962)
Carmen Basilio (WW Champ 1955 & 1956, MW Champ 1957, #1 MW 1958)
Denny Moyer (#9 MW 1961, #6 MW 1962, JMW Champ 1963, #9 MW 1968, #2 MW 1969)
Ralph Dupas (#2 WW 1961, #3 WW 1962, #4 WW 1963, JMW Champ 1963)
Yoland Leveque (beat Bennie Briscoe, Jacques Marty, Art Hernandez, & Bo Hogberg)

wait wait... i can do this too!

2010-03-13 145¾ Joshua Clottey 147 35-3-0
Cowboys Stadium, Arlington, Texas, United States W UD 12 12
~ referee: Rafael Ramos | judge: Levi Martinez 119-109 | judge: Nelson Vazquez 119-109 | judge: Duane Ford 120-108 ~
~ WBO welterweight title ~
2009-11-14 144 Miguel Angel Cotto 145 34-1-0
MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States W TKO 12 12
~ time: 0:55 | referee: Kenny Bayless | judge: Adalaide Byrd 109-99 | judge: Duane Ford 108-99 | judge: Dave Moretti 108-100 ~
~ WBO welterweight title ~
2009-05-02 138 Ricky Hatton 140 45-1-0
MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States W KO 2 12
~ time: 2:59 | referee: Kenny Bayless | judge: Michael Pernick 10-7 | judge: C.J. Ross 10-7 | judge: Glenn Trowbridge 10-7 ~
~ International Boxing Organization light welterweight title ~
2008-12-06 142 Oscar De La Hoya 145 39-5-0
MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States W RTD 8 12
~ time: 3:00 | referee: Tony Weeks | judge: Dave Moretti 80-71 | judge: Adalaide Byrd 80-71 | judge: Stanley Christodoulou 79-72 ~
2008-06-28 134½ David Diaz 135 34-1-1
Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States W TKO 9 12
~ time: 2:24 | referee: Vic Drakulich | judge: Gary Merritt | judge: C.J. Ross | judge: Paul Smith ~
~ WBC lightweight title ~
2008-03-15 129 Juan Manuel Marquez 130 48-3-1
Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States W SD 12 12
~ referee: Kenny Bayless | judge: Duane Ford 115-112 | judge: Jerry Roth 112-115 | judge: Tom Miller 114-113 ~
~ WBC super featherweight title ~
2007-10-06 130 Marco Antonio Barrera 130 63-5-0
Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States W UD 12 12
~ referee: Tony Weeks | judge: Jerry Roth 118-109 | judge: Glenn Trowbridge 118-109 | judge: Tom Schreck 115-112 ~
~ WBC International super featherweight title ~
2007-04-14 128¾ Jorge Solis 130 33-0-2
Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas, United States W KO 8 12
~ time: 1:16 | referee: Vic Drakulich | judge: Larry O'Connell | judge: Gale E. Van Hoy | judge: Oren Shellenberger ~
2006-11-18 129 Erik Morales 129 48-4-0
Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States W KO 3 12
~ time: 2:57 | referee: Vic Drakulich | judge: Guido Cavalleri | judge: Glenn Towbridge | judge: Duane Ford ~
2006-07-02 129½ Oscar Larios 129 56-4-1
Araneta Coliseum, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines W UD 12 12
~ referee: Bruce McTavish | judge: Humbert Furgoni 117-110 | judge: Daniel Van de Wiele 118-108 | judge: Noppharat Sricharoen 120-106 ~
Larios down once in rounds seven and twelve.
2006-01-21 128½ Erik Morales 130 48-3-0
Thomas & Mack Center, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States W TKO 10 12
~ time: 2:33 | referee: Kenny Bayless | judge: Jerry Roth 87-84 | judge: Dave Moretti 86-85 | judge: Paul Smith 87-84 ~
WBC Super Featherweight Title Eliminator
2005-09-10 130 Hector Velazquez 130 42-10-2
Staples Center, Los Angeles, California, United States W TKO 6 12
~ time: 2:59 | referee: Lou Moret | judge: Steve English | judge: Alejandro Rochin Mapula | judge: Marty Sammon ~
~ vacant WBC International super featherweight title ~
2005-03-19 129½ Erik Morales 130 47-2-0
MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States L UD 12 12
~ referee: Joe Cortez | judge: Paul Smith 113-115 | judge: Dave Moretti 113-115 | judge: Chuck Giampa 113-115 ~
~ vacant WBC International super featherweight title ~
~ vacant International Boxing Association super featherweight title ~
Vacant IBA Super Featherweight Title
2004-12-11 125 Fahsan 3K Battery 124 44-7-1
MC Home Depot Open Air Arena, Taguig City, Metro Manila, Philippines W TKO 4 12
~ time: 1:26 | referee: Ferdinand Estrella ~
IBF Featherweight Eliminator for the #2 Spot
2004-05-08 125 Juan Manuel Marquez 125 42-2-0
MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States D PTS 12 12
~ referee: Joe Cortez | judge: John Stewart 115-110 | judge: Burt A. Clements 113-113 | judge: Guy Jutras 110-115 ~
~ WBA Super World featherweight title ~
~ IBF featherweight title ~
Marquez down three times in 1st.
2003-11-15 125 Marco Antonio Barrera 126 57-3-0
Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas, United States W TKO 11 12
~ time: 2:56 | referee: Laurence Cole | judge: Ray Hawkins 97-90 | judge: Gale E. Van Hoy 97-89 | judge: Glen Rick Crocker 97-90 ~
2003-07-26 120 Emmanuel Lucero 121¼ 21-0-1
Olympic Auditorium, Los Angeles, California, United States W TKO 3 12
~ time: 0:48 | referee: Jose Cobian ~
~ IBF super bantamweight title ~
2003-03-15 126 Serikzhan Yeshmagambetov 126½ 17-5-1
Luneta Park, Intramuros, Philippines W TKO 5 10
~ time: 1:52 | referee: Silvestre Abainza | judge: Alex Villacampa | judge: Ramon Flores | judge: Richard Flores ~
Manny Pacquiao down in round 4. Serikzhan Yeshmagambetov down in round 5.
2002-10-26 122 Fahprakorb Rakkiatgym 121 37-2-0
Rizal Memorial Sports Complex, Davao City, Philippines W KO 1 12
~ time: 2:46 | referee: Bruce McTavish | judge: ~
2002-06-08 120 Jorge Eliecer Julio 122 44-3-0
The Pyramid, Memphis, Tennessee, United States W TKO 2 12
~ time: 1:09 | referee: Bill Clancy | judge: Paul Artisst | judge: Bruce Foster | judge: Fred Steinwinder III ~
2001-11-10 120½ Agapito Sanchez 120½ 31-9-2
Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, California, United States D TD 6 12
~ time: 1:12 | referee: Marty Denkin | judge: Raul Caiz Jr 55-57 | 56-56 | judge: Ric Bays 58-54 ~
~ WBO super bantamweight title ~
Sanchez lost two points for low blows. Ringside doctor stops bout in 6th round due to bad cut on Pacquiao's right eye caused by an accidental headbutt in Round 2 and worsened by another headbutt in Round 6.
2001-06-23 121 Lehlohonolo Ledwaba 122 33-1-1
MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States W TKO 6 12
~ time: 0:59 | referee: Joe Cortez | judge: Bill Graham 50-44 | judge: Jerry Roth 50-44 | judge: Debra Barnes 50-44 ~
2001-04-28 122 Wethya Sakmuangklang 41-3-0
Kidapawan City, Cotabato (del Norte), Philippines W TKO 6 12
~ time: 2:40 | referee: Bruce McTavish ~
~ WBC International super bantamweight title ~
2001-02-24 122 Tetsutora Senrima 121½ 19-4-3
Ynares Sports Center, Antipolo City, Rizal, Philippines W TKO 5 12
~ referee: Wan-Soo Yuh | judge: Gene Del Bianco | judge: Vincent Rodrigues ~
2000-10-14 121 Nedal Hussein 122 19-0-0
Ynares Sports Center, Antipolo City, Rizal, Philippines W TKO 10 12
~ time: 1:48 | referee: Carlos Padilla 87-80 | judge: Dae-Eun Chung 87-83 | judge: Garry Dean 87-85 ~
2000-06-28 121¾ Seung-Kon Chae 23-0-0
Araneta Coliseum, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines W TKO 1 12
~ time: 1:42 | referee: Bruce McTavish ~
2000-03-04 119 Arnel Barotillo 22-9-3
Ninoy Aquino Stadium, Malate, Metro Manila, Philippines W KO 4 12
~ referee: Bruce McTavish ~
1999-12-18 122 Reynante Jamili 122 41-5-0
Elorde Sports Complex, Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines W TKO 2 12
~ referee: Ferdinand Estrella | judge: Vincent Rodrigues | judge: Alex Villacampa | judge: Ferdinand Estrella ~
1999-09-17 113 Medgoen Singsurat 112 18-0-0
Pakpanag Metropolian Stadium, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Thailand L KO 3 12
~ time: 1:32 | referee: Jose Guadalupe Garcia | judge: Ray Solis 18-20 | judge: Walter Schall 18-20 | judge: Dae-Eun Chung 18-20 ~
~ WBC flyweight title ~
1999-04-24 111¾ Gabriel Mira 110½ 19-7-1
Araneta Coliseum, Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines W TKO 4 12
~ time: 2:45 | referee: Richard Steele | judge: Tony Perez 29-26 | judge: Dalby Shirley 30-26 | judge: Jae-Bong Kim 30-25 ~
~ WBC flyweight title ~
1999-02-20 116 Todd Makelim 115 7-4-0
Kidapawan City, Cotabato (del Norte), Philippines W TKO 3 10
~ time: 2:52 ~
1998-12-04 112 Chatchai Sasakul 112 33-1-0
Tonsuk College Ground, Phuttamonthon, Thailand W KO 8 12
~ referee: Malcolm Bulner | 64-70 | 64-69 | 65-68 ~
~ WBC flyweight title ~
1998-05-18 114 Shin Terao 113½ 10-2-1
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo, Japan W KO 1 10
~ time: 2:59 ~
Pacquiao scored three knockdowns
1997-12-06 111 Panomdej Ohyuthanakorn 110 7-3-0
South Cotabato Stadium, Koronadal City, Cotabato del Sur, Philippines W KO 1 12
~ time: 1:38 | referee: Bruce McTavish ~
~ OPBF flyweight title ~
1997-09-13 114 Melvin Magramo 113 23-12-2
Cebu City Coliseum, Cebu, Philippines W PTS 10 10
1997-06-26 112 Chokchai Chockvivat 110 34-2-0
Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila, Philippines W KO 5 12
~ time: 2:46 | referee: Ferdinand Estrella ~
~ OPBF flyweight title ~
1997-05-30 112 Ariel Austria 112 9-6-3
Almendras Gym, Davao City, Philippines W TKO 6
1997-04-24 113 Wook-Ki Lee 115 0-4-1
Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines W KO 1 10
~ time: 1:04 | referee: Silvestre Abainza | judge: Vincent Rodrigues | judge: Alex Villacampa | judge: Martin Dalida ~
1997-03-08 113 Mike Luna 112 20-7-4
Muntinlupa City, Metro Manila, Philippines W KO 1 10
~ time: 1:56 | referee: Danny Rodenas | judge: Martin Dalida | judge: Ramon Flores ~
1996-12-28 113 Sung-Yul Lee 0-2-0
Muntinlupa City, Metro Manila, Philippines W TKO 2
~ time: 1:51 | referee: Danny Rodenas | judge: Ramon Flores | judge: Martin Dalida | judge: Chris Odullo ~
1996-07-27 114 Ippo Gala 1-11-1
Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila, Philippines W TKO 2
1996-06-15 116 Bert Batiller 116 10-1-2
General Santos City, Cotabato del Sur, Philippines W TKO 4
1996-05-20 114 John Medina 111 31-30-5
Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines W TKO 4
1996-04-27 112 Marlon Carillo 21-7-3
Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines W PTS 10 10
1996-02-09 110 Rustico Torrecampo 110 11-4-4
Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila, Philippines L KO 3
1996-01-13 113 Lito Torrejos 5-7-1
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines W TD 5
fight stopped due to accidental head clash
1995-12-09 109 Rolando Toyogon 108 12-11-2
Manila, Metro Manila, Philippines W PTS 10 10
1995-11-11 106 Rudolfo Fernandez 107 8-9-5
Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila, Philippines W TKO 3 10
1995-10-21 109 Renato Mendones 2-3-0
Puerto Princesa City, Palawan, Philippines W TKO 2 8
~ referee: Silvestre Abainza | judge: Ferdinand Estrella | judge: Rudy Perez | judge: Virgilio Abainza ~
1995-10-07 109 Lolito Laroa 109 4-7-2
Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines W PTS 8 8
1995-09-16 110 Armando Rocil 2-10-0
Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila, Philippines W KO 3
1995-08-03 108 Acasio Simbajon 107 4-1-1
Mandaluyong Sports Complex, Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila, Philippines W UD 6 6
1995-07-01 110 Dele Decierto 2-0-0
Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila, Philippines W TKO 2
1995-05-01 107 Rocky Palma 107 4-0-1
Cavite, Philippines W PTS 6 6
1995-03-18 107 Pinoy Montejo 107 2-4-0
Mindoro Occidental, Philippines W PTS 4 4
1995-01-22 106 Edmund Enting Ignacio 1-1-0
Mindoro Occidental, Philippines

your point is taken though, granted, the earlier years of boxing were much more laden with competitors;however, how do you know personally that all those boxers (including the amateurs) were any different than those manny fought during his amateur fight years?
This is left to a priori's, and I'l tell you this much, I've seen some late reels on SRR, those boxers he fought weren't at all boxers i'd consider 'chest players' (aka elite)..
Reply 2894
lol when i saw vilongo's first long ass post, i thought i feel sorry for anyone who gets into an arugement with him!
vilongo
Are you ignoring those championships belts i mentioned?

?

another thing, I said the following too:

The issue here is that you're classifying the divisions by the early 1930's standards. I'm looking at the record here and looking at the weight disparity and classifying the weights by our new refined boxing weight division.

Those latter belts were won at this weight by robinson: Tommy Bell-146lbs, Jake Lamotta--155/160lbs; Gene Fullmer-160lbs; Robert Villemain-159 lbs.

146lbs, welterweight. 155lbs, 1lb above todays junior middleweight limit which means it's middleweight. 160, 160 and 159lbs all middleweight.

WELTERWEIGHT AND MIDDLEWEIGHT.

These weight's aren't all different? Show me these '2' infamous weight titles because I feel it's just a issue of semantics when we speak of 'championships title belts.

homie, sugar ray lost plenty of decision fights just like manny, you really haven't seen the reels i've seen so you speak very subjectivity and superficial, therefore, i can only tell you that it's a matter of opinion.

I've seen every Sugar Ray Robinson fight available on the internet. Hell I've even seen a 30 second amateur clip. Robinson lost decisions after his prime ended (which for arguements sake we'll say was after his first retiremenet in 1952). The decision losses came after the first Randy Turpin fight, but few people were going to decision Robinson in his prime years. Not even the first LaMotta fight was a good decision.

I really don't see manny as someone who is at par with sugar ray, but like china with the usa, manny is on brink of a new league--sugar rays legaue. By todays standards, yes, we can say that there's a lot more safety, and less crude than it was 40-50 yrs ago, however, boxing is just as competitive as it always was, even more so now, just a lot more comfortable and bearable. Like i stated before, style (technique) determine fights more so than a boxers abilities. Joshua was overwhelmed by manny for godsakes, it was totally obvious from the get-go. Marquez is a great boxer, and though he didn't get the decision, he still had his match, and to me, he didn't get credit for those rounds that he rightfully won,this doesn't mean that manny was any less a great boxer p4p as sugar ray was. He's on his league to me for beating a decision over marquez.

Boxing isn't as competitive as it used to be because there simply aren't as many great boxers and the boxers today don't have the same hunger they did in the 40s and the 50s. Everybody wants to be the best but the moment they get to the top they're content to just sit there and defend titles against mandatories or they stop training and fall off. Like Hagler said, "It's hard to get up and train in the morning when you're sleeping on silk pillows" and that's the sort of attitude that many of todays so called elite fighters show. Back in Robinson's day, heavyweight contenders were still being paid $1500 for bouts against other top contenders. Today guys like Clinton Woods and Tavoris Cloud will take home $200,000 minimum (and that's not taking into account any of the TV money). Boxing is not as competitive now as it was 60 or so years ago, fighters have so many different ways they can get to the top that it doesn't really make it as competitive as it was. In the 40s, 50s and 60s Robinson could make it to the top by beating ONE champion, and he would have to fight the top contenders below him to remain champion. Right now a guy like Zsolt Erdei defended his WBO light heavyweight title something like 14 times and managed to do that without fighting any of the following top light heavyweight fighters: Antonio Tarver, Bernard Hopkins, Joe Calzaghe, Roy Jones, Glen Johnson, Clinton Woods, Chad Dawson, Tomasz Adamek, Adrian Diaconu, Eric Harding, Tavoris Cloud, Gabriel Campillo, Yusaf Mack, Julio Cesar Gonzalez..

That's astonishing. Through the years that he held the WBO title he managed to do it without fighting a single one of the names listed above and all of them were ranked in the top 10 at one stage or another and many of them are still top 10 ranked fighters in his division. Don't tell me boxing is more competitive nowadays when you have guys like Erdei fighting in his hometown defending his alphabet world title against bums and scrubs. You think Robinson would have gotten away with fighting the likes of Victor Troise, Charley Burns and Oliver White as legitimate world title defences? Hell no. He had to defend his strap against all time great fighters like Fullmer, Basilio, Zale, Graziano, LaMotta, Servo, Zivic, Turpin, Olson, Gavilan, Angott, Maxim and so on..

Just so you know, srr was a great businessman as well, so I can speculate as you can when it comes to conspiracy.
My point is that you're placing SRR in a position of infallibility,and impunity simply because you really do admire the 'past' as if it was a time of innocence, and candor when it came to business, drugs, and or illegals activities like 'cheating' during the fight.

I'm placing Sugar Ray Robinson where he belongs and that's as the greatest fighters in history. Greater than Ezzard Charles, Willie Pep, Henry Armstrong, Joe Gans, Sam Langford, Sugar Ray Leonard, Ricardo Lopez, Pernell Whitaker..

I respect SRR as a boxer and i could never state that manny was a 'better' boxer than he was since it's obviously absurd to say so, im simply saying that as a young fighter, especially in this stressful time in boxing histroy, manny stands out like a sore thumb with puss, and it's time to recognize that not for the media hype, but because of his record.

His record is solid, but it isn't great. I'd take Pernell Whitaker's resume over Manny Pacquiao's anyday. Head to head and record by the way.

wait wait... i can do this too!

Umm, I didn't copy and paste his Boxrec record, I listed all of the notable opponents and there notable achievements in brackets. Mine wasn't just some copy and paste job you know. :rolleyes: Actually read it.

your point is taken though, granted, the earlier years of boxing were much more laden with competitors;however, how do you know personally that all those boxers (including the amateurs) were any different than those manny fought during his amateur fight years?
This is left to a priori's, and I'l tell you this much, I've seen some late reels on SRR, those boxers he fought weren't at all boxers i'd consider 'chest players' (aka elite)..

I've seen Manny Pacquiao and I've seen Sugar Ray Robinson. I've watched all the fights available for both men and I'll tell you this, Robinson was the better boxer and his competition impressed me more. I can't take a Clottey over a Fullmer, a Cotto over a Basilio, a Hatton over a LaMotta and so on.. I think obviously you have to take into consideration that Robinson fought 200 fights and obviously there are going to be scrubs on that record (much like a Chavez or a Duran did when padding their record) but looking into Robinson's record it's easily the most incredible record in the history of the sport.
Reply 2896
Sweet Pea
?

146lbs, welterweight. 155lbs, 1lb above todays junior middleweight limit which means it's middleweight. 160, 160 and 159lbs all middleweight.

WELTERWEIGHT AND MIDDLEWEIGHT.

Again, when i said 6 weight divisions, I also included his amateur class wins as well, i simply didn't include his wins in his amateur life in that number. Read carefully.

These are the 2 weights you didn't know he won and i added:

Amateur Titles won in 1939:

New York Golden Gloves Tournament of Champions at featherweight vs. Armand Dascenza

Intercity Golden Gloves Tournament at featherweight vs. Tony Ancona

New York Daily News Golden Gloves Tournament at featherweight vs. Louis Valentine

Amateur Titles won in 1940:

New York Golden Gloves Tournament of Champions at lightweight vs. Jimmy Butler

Intercity Golden Gloves Tournament at lightweight vs. Tony Ancona

New York Daily News Golden Gloves Tournament at lightweight vs. Andy Nonella

On another note:

Tommy Bell-146lbs--- This was his weight during his fight with tommy bell for a championship, which isn't middleweight in todays classifying standards, as you know im placing them in order to truly see how many belts he's won in different weight classes.

Jake Lamotta--155/160lbs;
Gene Fullmer-160lbs;----- We can say that he was in the middle weight fighting both jake and gene.

Robert Villemain-159 lbs--- believe it or not, he was 158-159 during the time which wasn't considered middleweight, it's considered welter weight, even during those times.

Now add the other 2 (or 3 if you check what his weight was during his fight during his feather weight years) and you'll see that it's 5-6 divisions he's been champion in, and i wasn't mistaken bing. The problem is that you leave everything for another (person) to inquire and wait for it to be stamped: "certified by boxing associational experts." Before you believe something to be accurate or objectively true.

I've seen every Sugar Ray Robinson fight available on the internet. Hell I've even seen a 30 second amateur clip. Robinson lost decisions after his prime ended (which for arguements sake we'll say was after his first retiremenet in 1952). The decision losses came after the first Randy Turpin fight, but few people were going to decision Robinson in his prime years. Not even the first LaMotta fight was a good decision.

k, up to opinion, as long as you acknowledge that SSR lost decisions based on judges and not you.

Boxing isn't as competitive as it used to be because there simply aren't as many great boxers and the boxers today don't have the same hunger they did in the 40s and the 50s.

again, this is purely speculative on your part, you can say so 10000 times, doesn't make it true. I know of 3 career boxers who are moving up in amateurs and find it overwhelming, even for guys who've been boxing since i remember them as tots. I have that plus the fact that the tricks and business practices, along with technological innovations, have mobilized the world to push the envelope, whereas you believe boxers in the past had no choice but to push their bodies to the maximum to push that envelop, and that, again, is purely subjective and can be argued until some inquiry has already been done to solidify the idea that boxers of the past were more competitive than boxers today.

Everybody wants to be the best but the moment they get to the top they're content to just sit there and defend titles against mandatories or they stop training and fall off. Like Hagler said, "It's hard to get up and train in the morning when you're sleeping on silk pillows" and that's the sort of attitude that many of todays so called elite fighters show.

Yea, because silk pillows didn't exist in the 30's, or any other luxaries for boxers who fought hard. As if the psychology of relaxation is a lot more accommodated by electronic gizmos. Pure opinion.

Back in Robinson's day, heavyweight contenders were still being paid $1500 for bouts against other top contenders.

yea, and in america, a DOLLAR was worth a DOLLAR!
American money in the 40's 50's was the most valuable of its time.
1500 was't chump money, oh man, please you know little of this portion, im not even going there.

Today guys like Clinton Woods and Tavoris Cloud will take home $200,000 minimum (and that's not taking into account any of the TV money).

Trust me when i say that fighters made a HELL of alot more moneyy in the 40's and 50's if you were to translate the amount into todays green back money.

Boxing is not as competitive now as it was 60 or so years ago, fighters have so many different ways they can get to the top that it doesn't really make it as competitive as it was.

pure speculation, i can't argue about it since I don't like speculating on mere empirical data.

In the 40s, 50s and 60s Robinson could make it to the top by beating ONE champion, and he would have to fight the top contenders below him to remain champion. Right now a guy like Zsolt Erdei defended his WBO light heavyweight title something like 14 times and managed to do that without fighting any of the following top light heavyweight fighters: Antonio Tarver, Bernard Hopkins, Joe Calzaghe, Roy Jones, Glen Johnson, Clinton Woods, Chad Dawson, Tomasz Adamek, Adrian Diaconu, Eric Harding, Tavoris Cloud, Gabriel Campillo, Yusaf Mack, Julio Cesar Gonzalez..

DUDE, business in those days was just a pessimistic as it is today, ray didn't fight a lot of good boxers who were deemed great contenders for sugar ray. If you'd really weren't under the pure suggestive favor of the legend of sugar ray, you'd know about a contemporary of his who was said to be a lot more than just an exceptional contender-- his name was Charlie Burley. Robins camp didn't want to give charlie a championship fight for good reason, and if not for his misfortunes, you would have held known of him, and treated him with the same reverence you do SRR. It's facts like this that are shrouded in the annals of boxing, and which compel me to reevaluate the supposed 'greatest boxers' of all time. Hell, even sugar ray leonard was known to duck aaron pryor, if you knew who that was.

My point is that, the contenders that robinson had can't all be held as 'great contenders', rather, push overs (pawns) that robinson knew he would be badgered about in the press if he didn't fight them due to the great expectation of his image during the time where a 'middle class' champion (as you say) was the quintessential division man to conquer for all contenders-- so the attention would undoubtedly be on sugar ray more than the distribution of champions nowadays in sub-categories in any major weight division.

Like i mentioned, todays business practices are more cynical and even harder to make because we both know that image and money are synonymous with a boxers 'greatness', and though i see your point in the lazy attitudes todays boxers SEEMINGLY undertake due to (in your opinion) 'innovations in technology to spread their names faster and further; I seriously don't believe that todays P4P champions CAN'T beat the contenders that are ranked below them, and/or begging for fight with them. I just think that boxing business has become a lot more protectionist because, like floyd's exploiting in the business part of boxing, fights that he could easily win, can be avoided for self-preservation issues, and taken as last resort only if great pay-days fights aren't plausible. Your issue seems to be in the truly romantic sense that great boxers fight boxers; whereas, im explaining that this still exist, it's just that boxers today tend to chase a more materialistic objective (easier popularity and money). I just want you to understand that the past was just as similar to the present with the exceptions of gear, and rules which can be reverted and be easily adjustable to as you've seen boxers after 12 rounds assert in their ring-interviews that they could continue till 15 rounds if they could.

Don't tell me boxing is more competitive nowadays when you have guys like Erdei fighting in his hometown defending his alphabet world title against bums and scrubs. You think Robinson would have gotten away with fighting the likes of Victor Troise, Charley Burns and Oliver White as legitimate world title defences? Hell no. He had to defend his strap against all time great fighters like Fullmer, Basilio, Zale, Graziano, LaMotta, Servo, Zivic, Turpin, Olson, Gavilan, Angott, Maxim and so on..

Btw, in the states, the press is even more stressful on boxers to push for a fight contract then it is in europe.

I'm placing Sugar Ray Robinson where he belongs and that's as the greatest fighters in history. Greater than Ezzard Charles, Willie Pep, Henry Armstrong, Joe Gans, Sam Langford, Sugar Ray Leonard, Ricardo Lopez, Pernell Whitaker..

Well, im sorry to hear this, i believe
greatness' isn't concentrated in one person; i believe it's distributed. Srr was one of the best, and probably the best of his era, but the greatest of all times is very arbitrary to state. I'd say he's in his own great league, doesn't mean nobody else can enter it at any time. As you saw, bernard hopkins has entered the hall of fame (if not) by equating his defenses to his idol SRR.

His record is solid, but it isn't great. I'd take Pernell Whitaker's resume over Manny Pacquiao's anyday. Head to head and record by the way.

k, i'd leave it up to speculation, I'd put aaron pryor and pernell at par. A great fight it would be.

Umm, I didn't copy and paste his Boxrec record, I listed all of the notable opponents and there notable achievements in brackets. Mine wasn't just some copy and paste job you know. :rolleyes: Actually read it.

so did I, those were manny's notable opponents, and im sure you wrote that all by yourself.

I've seen Manny Pacquiao and I've seen Sugar Ray Robinson. I've watched all the fights available for both men and I'll tell you this, Robinson was the better boxer and his competition impressed me more.I can't take a Clottey over a Fullmer, a Cotto over a Basilio, a Hatton over a LaMotta and so on.. I think obviously you have to take into consideration that Robinson fought 200 fights and obviously there are going to be scrubs on that record (much like a Chavez or a Duran did when padding their record) but looking into Robinson's record it's easily the most incredible record in the history of the sport.

How many times do i have to tell you that I'm not equating ray robinson to manny and saying they're equally achieved boxers by comparison?

You're prejudice is not allowing you to get off that notion. I'm simply saying that Manny is on the brink of sugar ray's league, and of course you're going to disagree because your reverence for SRR is obviously strong, and impenetrable by any real inquiries by others to state otherwise. I wish you'd do a candid re-evaluation of both boxers and think how much more similarities in their records they have to other boxer contenders. Thought there might be some unknowns out there that might just have surpassed both of them (i've heard of a legendary boxer in dominican republic with over 500 fights), we know of these two in particular as prominent champions.
vilongo
Again, when i said 6 weight divisions, I also included his amateur class wins as well, i simply didn't include his wins in his amateur life in that number. Read carefully.

These are the 2 weights you didn't know he won and i added:

Of course I knew he won titles in the amateur weights, but nobody includes amateur titles when talking about a fighters achievements. Not unless it was olympic. For the love of God Roy Jones won amateur titles at junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight but nobody calls him a 7 weight world champion.

On another note:

Tommy Bell-146lbs--- This was his weight during his fight with tommy bell for a championship, which isn't middleweight in todays classifying standards, as you know im placing them in order to truly see how many belts he's won in different weight classes.

He beat Tommy Bell at welterweight for the world welterweight title, with both guys weighing in under the welterweight limit of 147. What are you trying to get at?

Jake Lamotta--155/160lbs;
Gene Fullmer-160lbs;----- We can say that he was in the middle weight fighting both jake and gene.

Yes..

Robert Villemain-159 lbs--- believe it or not, he was 158-159 during the time which wasn't considered middleweight, it's considered welter weight, even during those times.

Haha, not it wasn't. The welterweight division has always been a maximum weight of 147lbs and the middleweight of 160lbs. He fought Villemain weighing 8lbs over the welterweight limit and 5lbs under the middleweight limit. That makes it a middleweight fight. :rolleyes:

Now add the other 2 (or 3 if you check what his weight was during his fight during his feather weight years) and you'll see that it's 5-6 divisions he's been champion in, and i wasn't mistaken bing. The problem is that you leave everything for another (person) to inquire and wait for it to be stamped: "certified by boxing associational experts." Before you believe something to be accurate or objectively true.

I'm not too sure you understand what you're saying here. Robinson won welterweight and middleweight titles, plus he won lightweight and feather amateur tournaments (which mean nothing when talking about professional careers by the way). Stop trying to create divisions that never existed at the time.

k, up to opinion, as long as you acknowledge that SSR lost decisions based on judges and not you.

Robinson lost decisions years after his very peek. He also won decisions against great fighters years after his prime. Manny got whooped in his prime by Marquez twice. Manny loses to fighters who lead with the right hand and can actually counter punch. Excellent timing, lead right hands and counter punching beats Pacquiao. That's why they avoided a third Marquez fight and that's why they don't want the Mayweather fight (haha @ the BS needle excuse).

again, this is purely speculative on your part, you can say so 10000 times, doesn't make it true. I know of 3 career boxers who are moving up in amateurs and find it overwhelming, even for guys who've been boxing since i remember them as tots. I have that plus the fact that the tricks and business practices, along with technological innovations, have mobilized the world to push the envelope, whereas you believe boxers in the past had no choice but to push their bodies to the maximum to push that envelop, and that, again, is purely subjective and can be argued until some inquiry has already been done to solidify the idea that boxers of the past were more competitive than boxers today.

Yea, because silk pillows didn't exist in the 30's, or any other luxaries for boxers who fought hard. As if the psychology of relaxation is a lot more accommodated by electronic gizmos. Pure opinion.

What? I was using that as an example of how boxers lose hunger. Boxers today get huge paydays, even B-level contenders earn a solid amount of money. That's my point.

yea, and in america, a DOLLAR was worth a DOLLAR!
American money in the 40's 50's was the most valuable of its time.
1500 was't chump money, oh man, please you know little of this portion, im not even going there.

The $1500 dollar example was Jimmy Young in the 70s. He'd fight for under $1000 sometimes. Don't tell me what I do and don't know because I clearly know more than you.

Trust me when i say that fighters made a HELL of alot more moneyy in the 40's and 50's if you were to translate the amount into todays green back money.

Trust you? haha, you can't be serious. Fighters in the 40s and 50s earnt piddles compared to what they earn today. That goes for EVERY SINGLE sport. Footballers in the early 40s and 50s played for chump change, now the average premier league salary is something like £35,000. You had to be a superstar to earn a lot of money in the 40s and 50s. Especially given the fact that the 40s was a time of post-war economy.

pure speculation, i can't argue about it since I don't like speculating on mere empirical data.

If you say so.

DUDE, business in those days was just a pessimistic as it is today, ray didn't fight a lot of good boxers who were deemed great contenders for sugar ray. If you'd really weren't under the pure suggestive favor of the legend of sugar ray, you'd know about a contemporary of his who was said to be a lot more than just an exceptional contender-- his name was Charlie Burley. Robins camp didn't want to give charlie a championship fight for good reason, and if not for his misfortunes, you would have held known of him, and treated him with the same reverence you do SRR. It's facts like this that are shrouded in the annals of boxing, and which compel me to reevaluate the supposed 'greatest boxers' of all time. Hell, even sugar ray leonard was known to duck aaron pryor, if you knew who that was.

Robinson didn't fight Charley Burley, big deal. Robinson's team used the money excuse but the fact is Burley was fighting for chump change in bingo halls whilst Robinson was one of the biggest sports stars on earth. Besides, that's one contender but he sure as hell fought the rest. I just listed you about 10 fighters that Zsolt Erdei has managed to avoid in about a 3 or 4 year period. Now why don't you go ahead and give me a list of 10 fighters that Robinson managed to avoid throughout his entire career. You won't be able to do it. He fought every contender and every champion. He moved up 15lbs and fought an ATG light heavyweight in Joey Maxim and was one round from winning.

Sugar Ray Leonard ducked more than just Aaron Pryor (and for the record I know who Aaron Pryor is...).

And of course I know who Charley Burley is you idiot. He's an ATG middleweight, poorly managed and widely ducked. One of my favourite fighters ever, Ezzard Charles, dealt with Burley twice.

My point is that, the contenders that robinson had can't all be held as 'great contenders', rather, push overs (pawns) that robinson knew he would be badgered about in the press if he didn't fight them due to the great expectation of his image during the time where a 'middle class' champion (as you say) was the quintessential division man to conquer for all contenders-- so the attention would undoubtedly be on sugar ray more than the distribution of champions nowadays in sub-categories in any major weight division.

I gave you a breakdown of Robinson's notable opponents. You obviously didn't read it.

Like i mentioned, todays business practices are more cynical and even harder to make because we both know that image and money are synonymous with a boxers 'greatness', and though i see your point in the lazy attitudes todays boxers SEEMINGLY undertake due to (in your opinion) 'innovations in technology to spread their names faster and further; I seriously don't believe that todays P4P champions CAN'T beat the contenders that are ranked below them, and/or begging for fight with them. I just think that boxing business has become a lot more protectionist because, like floyd's exploiting in the business part of boxing, fights that he could easily win, can be avoided for self-preservation issues, and taken as last resort only if great pay-days fights aren't plausible. Your issue seems to be in the truly romantic sense that great boxers fight boxers; whereas, im explaining that this still exist, it's just that boxers today tend to chase a more materialistic objective (easier popularity and money). I just want you to understand that the past was just as similar to the present with the exceptions of gear, and rules which can be reverted and be easily adjustable to as you've seen boxers after 12 rounds assert in their ring-interviews that they could continue till 15 rounds if they could.

I agree that boxing has become a lot more protectionist. The sole reason for that is the fans of the sport today. Take Kelly Pavlik for example, huge hype and HBO invested big bucks in him and hyped him to the high heavens. Hopkins beats him silly for 12 rounds and now nobody wants to know him. Why should promoters have to risk their cash cows by throwing them in the ring with a dangerous contender knowing that a loss would mean the fighters becomes seriously devalued in the eyes of the public? In the golden era of the sport losing didn't mean the end of somebodys career, it pretty much does now. Fighter are written off after one lost, it's silly and annoys me. Look at Chris Arreola (fat useless lump) had a big following, lost to Vitali Klitschko and now nobody wants to know him. That's just the way boxing works nowadays, it sucks but that's just the way it is.

Btw, in the states, the press is even more stressful on boxers to push for a fight contract then it is in europe.

If you say so.

greatness' isn't concentrated in one person; i believe it's distributed. Srr was one of the best, and probably the best of his era, but the greatest of all times is very arbitrary to state. I'd say he's in his own great league, doesn't mean nobody else can enter it at any time. As you saw, bernard hopkins has entered the hall of fame (if not) by equating his defenses to his idol SRR.

Hopkins is yet to enter the hall of fame, if he does decide to retire his main accomplishment will be breaking the middleweight record (held by Carlos Monzon) of title defences and doing what he great Sugar Ray Robinson couldn't do and that's jump from middleweight to light heavyweight and beat the champ. Not that Robinson wasn't good enough but the heat just got to him. Speaks volumes about the mans greatness when he can beat an ATG light heavyweight in Joey Maxim (well, not beat.. but be a round from beating) despite only really being a welterweight/middleweight.

k, i'd leave it up to speculation, I'd put aaron pryor and pernell at par. A great fight it would be.

I like Pryor he's a great fighter but there will always be that mystery about him in his first fight with Arguello.

so did I, those were manny's notable opponents, and im sure you wrote that all by yourself.

No you didn't, you just copied and pasted his boxing record. You didn't give me any details like I gave you.

How many times do i have to tell you that I'm not equating ray robinson to manny and saying they're equally achieved boxers by comparison?

You're prejudice is not allowing you to get off that notion. I'm simply saying that Manny is on the brink of sugar ray's league, and of course you're going to disagree because your reverence for SRR is obviously strong, and impenetrable by any real inquiries by others to state otherwise. I wish you'd do a candid re-evaluation of both boxers and think how much more similarities in their records they have to other boxer contenders. Thought there might be some unknowns out there that might just have surpassed both of them (i've heard of a legendary boxer in dominican republic with over 500 fights), we know of these two in particular as prominent champions.

And I'm telling you that Manny is not on the brink of entering the same league as Sugar Ray Robinson. Manny's accomplishments are becoming overrated, people forget that he was a teenager when he started and has just entered his physical prime (which starts in the late 20s and ends in your early 30s.. in most cases) and is now at the weight that he's most comfortable at. Hence the maximised punching power, speed, quick feet.. it's all because he doesn't have to drain himself to make the weight and is now fighting at his favourite fighting weight. He walks around at close to 160lbs right now, the sort of weight that quite a lot of welters walk around at.

Don't get me wrong, Manny is a great fighter but it takes more than a few wins to have you thrown in the same class as SRR. He's going to need to stick around and show the boxing world what he can do for a few more years.. if he calls it a day after losing to Mayweather then how can he be ranked in the same class as Robinson? If he beats Mayweather and picks up another win over a world class fighter then he can be on the brink of enterting Robinson's league but right now.. no.

By the way, it's nice to have another member who knows his boxing. Good stuff.
Reply 2898
Of course I knew he won titles in the amateur weights, but nobody includes amateur titles when talking about a fighters achievements. Not unless it was olympic. For the love of God Roy Jones won amateur titles at junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight but nobody calls him a 7 weight world champion.

Nobody calls him that because amateur and pros are to different boxing classifications (doesn't mean jones didn't conquer, didn't exist as a junior welter, or wasn't great at junior welter in the Olympics just because he was labeled 'amateur),that doesn't mean that it's untrue or inaccurate to state just how in fact, how many weight classes SRR has moved up and been champion in. Are you trying to say
that the amateurs don't count now when we're trying to reach a compromise to the validity of an answer as to how many weight divisions SRR really conquer ,regardless of the semantic classification from amateur to pro?

He beat Tommy Bell at welterweight for the world welterweight title, with both guys weighing in under the welterweight limit of 147. What are you trying to get at?
I was merely stating that 146 was considered 'welterweight', still, but pointing out how
arbitrary and primitive the weight classifying was, so you know that back then, the weight classes weren't really consistent or accurate as I'm trying to place them using todays standard models.

Haha, not it wasn't. The welterweight division has always been a maximum weight of 147lbs and the middleweight of 160lbs. He fought Villemain weighing 8lbs over the welterweight limit and 5lbs under the middleweight limit. That makes it a middleweight fight.

Back to my Tommy Bell's explanation: Weight divisions were very poignant and primitive. And you have it confused bro, 147 is the PROPER (starting) point, NOT the MAX, the max is 159, and 160 (going by traditional standard 8) is Middle weight. By todays
standards, 158-159 would be considered welterweight if they decided to fight welterweight, and it would also qualify for middle weight if accepted by the middleweight champ or challenger. You can fight, for example, at 155 and be considered both a middle weight or a welter weight depending at which class they'd like to fight for the title in. All I'm saying is that 158 was still welter as the lower middleweight.

I'm not too sure you understand what you're saying here. Robinson won welterweight and middleweight titles, plus he won lightweight and feather amateur tournaments (which mean nothing when talking about professional careers by the way). Stop trying to create divisions that never existed at the time.

I'm not too sure you comprehend what I'm doing here, as i stated before, I'm accurately placing Robinson's weight, in accordance to his record, in comparison with the revamp weight classes we have today and it clearly shows that robinson, today, was in more than just 3 class divisions during the time he fought—according to the new standard weight classifications. If you're simply going on a traditional 8 scale weight division classification, then yes, you're correct, but if you're going by how I'm matching him as of today, you'd realize that
he was—as i first mentioned he was and you denounced it as rubbish—in fact a junior lightweight when he began he professional career, but since you seem to think you know better by your own accounts then I can't do much for you then to implore a careful re-examination of the weight he was in at amateur, and his first fight as a professional (this means that my previous statement about SRR coming from Junior lightweight to middleweight was correct, and not wrong as you stated since you didn't understand how I was classifying then, or now.)

Robinson lost decisions years after his very peek. He also won decisions against great fighters years after his prime. Manny got whooped in his prime by Marquez twice. Manny loses to fighters who lead with the right hand and can actually counter punch. Excellent timing, lead right hands and counter punching beats Pacquiao. That's why they avoided a third Marquez fight and that's why they don't want the Mayweather fight (haha @ the BS needle excuse).

Excuse me? How did you get a hold of sugar rays early filmed material when the bulk of all his fights is concentrated in the late part of his boxing career?
Again, manny isn't SRR and vice versa, but he stood up against rough, world-class boxers —erik morales and marquez. Manny's got weaknesses with his defensive technique but only when he's on the offensive, the right hooks are his
achilles heel. Mayweather would beat manny, he can't counter or neutralize mayweather left jumping hook (the one he kept countering marquez with all night) at all.
I wrote about this already.

What? I was using that as an example of how boxers lose hunger. Boxers today get huge paydays, even B-level contenders earn a solid amount of money. That's my point.

and I'm saying that lost of 'hunger' isn't new, even back in those days, as it isn't today, it's just seems lax now since boxers are more careful about their image which makes them the 'money' they so look after, and their health, whereas, in SRR era, boxers didn't give a **** about their health even with a substantial amount of cash flow .
Name a b-classer (you got that term from floyd LMFAO)

The $1500 dollar example was Jimmy Young in the 70s. He'd fight for under $1000 sometimes. Don't tell me what I do and don't know because I clearly know more than you.

That's because Jimmy young was a garbage ass boxer sir. If you're NOT an exciting to watch boxer, and you lack skills in the ring, you're going to lose, hence, people don't want to see a lame boxer, and therefore they don't
pay as much to see him, if not, to see him get knocked out. What's your point? Would you pay $50 to see john ruiz fight? (I wouldn't)

Trust you? haha, you can't be serious. Fighters in the 40s and 50s earnt piddles compared to what they earn today. That goes for EVERY SINGLE sport. Footballers in the early 40s and 50s played for chump change, now the average premier league salary is something like £35,000. You had to be a superstar to earn a lot of money in the 40s and 50s. Especially given the fact that the 40s was a time of post-war economy.

The issue here is that you really don't understand that boxing has transformed itself from an event to a cash crop over the years due to innovations in technology that have allowed this to happen. Boxing has always been a latent cash crop, the difference was that
there were as many boxers out there as there are today, but less heard of since the media wasn't all too enthusiastic of the sport as they were (at least here in the states) about baseball.
HOWEVER, the money that flowed around in SRR (which he himself had his hands in) was valued higher then than it is today, i promise you that if he made $39,000 for a fight, it would have been like a $300-400 thousand dollar pay day. You're talking about a time when a NICKLE! 5 cents got you ice cream and/or a milk shake, you can't get that today without a DOLLAR at least. So please, don't get into the economic side of this.

Robinson didn't fight Charley Burley, big deal. Robinson's team used the money excuse but the fact is Burley was fighting for chump change in bingo halls whilst Robinson was one of the biggest sports stars on earth.
Besides, that's one contender but he sure as hell fought the rest. I just listed you about 10 fighters that Zsolt Erdei has managed to avoid in about a 3 or 4 year period. Now why don't you go ahead and give me a list
of 10 fighters that Robinson managed to avoid throughout his entire career. You won't be able to do it. He fought every contender and every champion. He moved up 15lbs and fought an ATG light heavyweight in Joey
Maxim and was one round from winning.

Bull **** in my opinion, Charley was a damn Roy jones Jr (who has obviously studied charley very well), I mentioned him because charley was the one boxer I know, that could comparatively be matched technique wise, to an existing live sample that is roy jones jr, and has
proven just how virtuous the technique—as unorthodox as it maybe— is. In my opinion, Charley was ducked by sugar for more than just money, and since it was only one contender, in your opinion, then the duck goes on condoned.
You know, I also just pointed out something totally equatable to your argument against manny and boxers of today entirely:
I just gave you a boxer whom ray 'DUCKED', and you agreeably admitted that not only was he ducking charlie, he also did it for the one cause, for that one ugly little factor in a boxing contract compromise which you seem to scorn other boxers—with the exception of SRR—for when they CHOOSE not to fight "10 other contenders" for. You're opinion is always going to be bias due to your doubtful speculative inclinations towards boxers who seem 'too good' to be true, in this case, manny pacman is ducking 10 contenders because he can't defeat them in your opinion? The fight with Paciquiao and Floyd is on, so I have no idea why you would consider it a duck anymore. Not sure if you're up-to-date yet.

And once more, stop assuming that I'm placing manny on Robinsons level, im not. relax yourself; I'm merely saying he's generally at the helm of robinsons league which generally means to me that he's an overall quality boxer on an elite level that has to be recognized at this point, even if it doesn't compare to the standards of the 1930's.

Sugar Ray Leonard ducked more than just Aaron Pryor (and for the record I know who Aaron Pryor is...).

I mentioned Pryor because I really ddo believe that sugar didn't duck him due to money, unlike some others he ducked.
yea sure, after i told you... lmao

I gave you a breakdown of Robinson's notable opponents. You obviously didn't read it.

I did, I just don't have much reverence for boxers who held world-class belts at a time when techniques, nourishment, training regiment, diet regiments, and gear were surely primitive. If you think that 'primitivism' makes a boxer 'harder and better', which seems to be the case, then I have to part ways with you since I'm a fan of biology.

I agree that boxing has become a lot more protectionist. The sole reason for that is the fans of the sport today. Take Kelly Pavlik for example, huge hype and HBO invested big bucks in him and hyped him to the high heavens. Hopkins beats him silly for 12 rounds and now nobody wants to know him. Why should promoters have to risk their cash cows by throwing them in the ring with a dangerous contender knowing that a loss would mean the fighters becomes seriously devalued in the eyes of the public? In the golden era of the sport losing didn't mean the end of somebodys career, it pretty much does now. Fighter are written off after one lost, it's silly and annoys me. Look at Chris Arreola (fat useless lump) had a big following, lost to Vitali Klitschko and now nobody wants to know him. That's just the way boxing works nowadays, it sucks but that's just the way it is.

That's because the expectations, and hallmarks of a great 'fighter', nowadays, have transitioned into trivial notions that are as superficial as a boxer with loads of cash, and as petty as a boxer with insignificant minor achievement on his record—like being undefeated. Supposedly, the boxing event is more intense and rich in quality if both fighters are undefeated, since both the crowd and the boxers acknowledge that their future, ego, money, and legacy is on the line. This is simply the ethos of the status quo because people want to feel the thrill of shock. Totally unappreciative of real quality boxing of real quality boxers with real elite achievement to their names.

Hopkins is yet to enter the hall of fame, if he does decide to retire his main accomplishment will be breaking the middleweight record (held by Carlos Monzon) of title defences and doing what he great Sugar Ray Robinson couldn't do and that's jump from middleweight to light heavyweight and beat the champ. Not that Robinson wasn't good enough but the heat just got to him. Speaks volumes about the mans greatness when he can beat an ATG light heavyweight in Joey Maxim (well, not beat.. but be a round from beating) despite only really being a welterweight/middleweight.

I wrote (if not) because I wasn't if he entered yet or not.
And a bout with bernard and SRR wouldn't be a bad one. I know that by looking at those old reels, you get the sense that SRR has such graphic looking hooks, and jab made out of conviction, but they weren't any harder than those which your exceptional power punching boxer throws today. You'd get this tacit awareness of his raw power and simply envision the fight in comparison to the soft images we see on HDTV, to those old, raunchy, grainy reels of traditional boxing, and assess them by sheer imagination; the old grainy reel of a man throwing those graphic hooks look like they can take down the best heavy weight fighter anytime of the day if we simply go by our A priori's. So please don't tell me bernard would get massacred.

I like Pryor he's a great fighter but there will always be that mystery about him in his first fight with Arguello.

Actually, there is no more mystery, have you seen "assault in the ring?"

Luis resto EXPOSES ALL!!! lmfao, panama lewis was a corruption from the start. Luis even confronted panama in that documentary, he even asserted that panama mixed methamphetamines inside Aarons water, though I don't think he needed it at all, bing.

Though it's the testimony of one person, It should still be left to some sort of inquiry, but I give credence to this man anyway.

No you didn't, you just copied and pasted his boxing record. You didn't give me any details like I gave you.

Because I can't make up any details of any of those boxers, they were what they were—a mix of champs and pawns.

And I'm telling you that Manny is not on the brink of entering the same league as Sugar Ray Robinson.

K, we can agree to disagree.

Manny's accomplishments are becoming overrated, people forget that he was a teenager when he started and has just entered his physical prime (which starts in the late 20s and ends in your early 30s.. in most cases) and is now at the weight that he's most comfortable at. Hence the maximised punching power, speed, quick feet.. it's all because he doesn't have to drain himself to make the weight and is now fighting at his favourite fighting weight. He walks around at close to 160lbs right now, the sort of weight that quite a lot of welters walk around at.

You forget, or don't know, that it's NOT easy to move up in weight and still maintain your natural bodily, and boxing faculties. If he beat someone at middleweight, it won't count then? He still isn't on the brink of sugar ray because he hasn't busted himself up like sugar ray and kept his health sound? I understand why you like this very exceptional boxer, but please, don't let his legend overshadow every boxer after him just because he set a higher standard that can be adjusted to, as he wasn't any less or more human than manny.

Don't get me wrong, Manny is a great fighter but it takes more than a few wins to have you thrown in the same class as SRR. He's going to need to stick around and show the boxing world what he can do for a few more years.. if he calls it a day after losing to Mayweather then how can he be ranked in the same class as Robinson? If he beats Mayweather and picks up another win over a world class fighter then he can be on the brink of enterting Robinson's league but right now.. no.

K, fair enough. Let time solidify your believes, or contradict you. Either way, I find manny to be a better boxer than floyd overall, and an exceptional boxers with a lot of other historically underrated phenomenas who live in the annals of boxing history.
I'm going to get back to your post when I finish college, but I just want to let you know that Jimmy Young was not a garbage boxer. Garbage boxers don't beat the sh1t out of Ron Lyle, George Foreman and get robbed of wins over Muhammad Ali & Ken Norton. The rest of your post, including giving you a lesson on economics is coming up very soon sir.

Latest