Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Martinez vs. Ward? Maybe he should fight Klitschko after that, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamrock92)
    Martinez vs. Ward? Maybe he should fight Klitschko after that, eh?

the hell are you talking about?
    You sound like sweet piss

ward would be the one dropping since it would be for a title shot, all contenders chosen are always obligated to move up and down, not the other way around. A middle weight belt? Ward would take that chance.

They're both middle weights at this point and 8 lbs won't be an issue for ward since—it isn't for any boxing pro—especially a young up-in-comer like ward. It would be an awesome fight.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Valero has now killed himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilongo)
    the hell are you talking about?
    You sound like sweet piss

ward would be the one dropping since it would be for a title shot, all contenders chosen are always obligated to move up and down, not the other way around. A middle weight belt? Ward would take that chance.

They're both middle weights at this point and 8 lbs won't be an issue for ward since—it isn't for any boxing pro—especially a young up-in-comer like ward. It would be an awesome fight.
    You're off your rocker. Ward is in the Super Six, he has like two years more of contracted fights, as welll as having a belt at 168, but you think he's going to come down in weight to fight a former Welter with belts at 154 and 160 who's also basically tied up in the Williams/Pavlik/Martinez triangle?

Sounds real likely.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Valero has now killed himself.
    yeh i just saw that too

ReputationRep:
    I've just heard that Edwin has hung himself

ReputationRep:
    obviously had problems but baging ur wife out - punturing her lung and killing her

then bottling the punishment by killing yourself and then leaving 2 kids parentless really is disgraceful

ReputationRep:
    You're off your rocker. Ward is in the Super Six, he has like two years more of contracted fights

i don't get your point, I'm saying he can fight him, it's possible. You are almost implying that he couldn't- because he's in a showtime tournament ?
    Showtime boxers can cross over to HBO fighters easily as long as theres great ratings and money involved. It's been done before with zab judah and floyd mayweather. Your contract argument is weak and i've already knew about his involvement in that tournament. Doesn't matter.

as welll as having a belt at 168, but you think he's going to come down in weight to fight a former Welter with belts at 154 and 160 who's also basically tied up in the Williams/Pavlik/Martinez triangle?

Sounds real likely.
    I said a 'fight' would be interesting with those two. You're making it seem as if it's an impossible feat in their existence in the world???????

Doesn't have to be now, at this minute; point is that, yes, ward should and would since he's can ,HELLO, unify these titles to become more of a force to reckon in the middle weight division, and/or light heavy.

You seriously are a simple person huh.

ReputationRep:
    WHAT AN IDIOT...

Boxer Edwin Valero found dead in jail
    By FABIOLA SANCHEZ, Associated Press Writer
    2 hours, 10 minutes ago
    Buzz up! 17
    Print
    CARACAS, Venezuela (AP)—Former boxing champ Edwin Valero committed suicide in his jail cell on Monday just hours after he was arrested in his wife’s killing, police said.

The former lightweight champion used his own clothes to hang himself from a bar in his cell early Monday, Venezuelan Federal Police Chief Wilmer Flores told reporters.

He said Valero was found by another inmate, who alerted authorities in the police lockup in north-central Carabobo state. Valero still showed signs of life when they took him down, but they were unable to save him and he died about 1:30 a.m., Flores said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ap-valero-slaying

ReputationRep:
    i don't get your point, I'm saying he can fight him, it's possible. You are almost implying that he couldn't- because he's in a showtime tournament ?
    Showtime boxers can cross over to HBO fighters easily as long as theres great ratings and money involved. It's been done before with zab judah and floyd mayweather. Your contract argument is weak and i've already knew about his involvement in that tournament. Doesn't matter.
    My contract argument is weak? So you don't think that the fact that Ward is booked up to fight every four months for the next two years of his life presents something of an obstacle to him moving down to Middleweight (!) and fighting someone else?

I said a 'fight' would be interesting with those two.
    I could name at least five fights for either fighter that would be more interesting than that fight. They're naturally two weight classes apart and both have unfinished business with other fighters.

Doesn't have to be now, at this minute; point is that, yes, ward should and would since he's can ,HELLO, unify these titles to become more of a force to reckon in the middle weight division, and/or light heavy.
    It's highly doubtful he can even make Middleweight. Plus, there are much more important things for him to do.

I can't believe I have to actually explain to you why this is a stupid fight.

You seriously are a simple person huh.
    Clearly, maybe you should look for a job at Top Rank or GBP, they could use somebody with your matchmaking genius.

ReputationRep:
    He's contractually obligated to fight through this entire tournament for as long as he remains in it. If he broke from the contract not only would he suffer backlash from the boxing world but he'd find himself in big legal problems too.

Having a contract to fight for Showtime and then switching to HBO is easy because very rarely (in fact Mike Tyson is the last guy I remember) do Showtime hand out big money, long length contracts to get guys to sign. Jumping from network to network is fine, but dropping out of a tournament is a big no-no. Taylor was let out because of concerns for the guys health.

Oh and...

RIP Valero. I know he should be rotting but I've begun to feel sympathy for the guy.. he's got some serious mental issues and the people that surround him should seriously take a long hard look at themselves. These people were close friends and advisors of Valero and the best they could do was book him a 30 day stint in rehab. People need to be held accountable for what has happened.. RIP to Mrs. Valero too. She put up with way too much ****.

ReputationRep:
    My contract argument is weak? So you don't think that the fact that Ward is booked up to fight every four months for the next two years of his life presents something of an obstacle to him moving down to Middleweight (!) and fighting someone else?

I could name at least five fights for either fighter that would be more interesting than that fight. They're naturally two weight classes apart and both have unfinished business with other fighters.

It's highly doubtful he can even make Middleweight. Plus, there are much more important things for him to do.

Clearly, maybe you should look for a job at Top Rank or GBP, they could use somebody with your matchmaking genius.
    Don't even bother trying to get through to Vilongo. The guy is completely deluded

ReputationRep:
    Still, incoherent, My point is that a fight is possible, I know they're both tied up at the moment, but it would be to wards benefit to do so, so w/e you're arguing in terms of contracts is totally irrelevant.
    Read carefully, sweet pea's protege.

thats up to opinions here, yours isn't any better than mine. I feel as though ward would make a great fight with martinez and that's that: as me why and I'll tell ya so.

I'm sure you know all to well since your his promoter and trainer.

That wasn't an explanation, that was more of a dismiss to my opinion, which I knew would come about since you're not trying to satisfy me in conceding to the fights quality. I can only prove to you that I actually know what I'm talking about, and you'll just have to look back and concede that even though I'm pugnacious when it comes to boxing, It's only because I'm confident in what I say. Thank you

You're not kidding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet Pea)
    He's contractually obligated to fight through this entire tournament for as long as he remains in it. If he broke from the contract not only would he suffer backlash from the boxing world but he'd find himself in big legal problems too.

Here's the trouble with you and the rest of your ilk...

I CAN'T HAVE A COHERENT DEBATE WITH YOU OR HIM BECAUSE YOU BOTH TOTALLY JUMP THE GUN ON EVERY STATEMENT I MAKE..

I SIMPLY SAID THAT A FIGHT WITH WARD WOULD BE INTERESTING..

YOU TWO TOOK IT UPON YOURSELVES TO TOTALLY CONSIDER THIS IDEA , DE-CONSTRUCT IT, AND LOOK FOR ACUTE REASONS WHY IT "CAN'T HAPPEN."

IT CAN HAPPEN, I STATED THAT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO HAPPEN NOW, OR TOMORROW, OR EVEN 3 YEARS FROM NOW. BUT IT CAN HAPPEN, AND SHOULD HAPPEN, AND BOTH OF YOU SHOULD RECOGNIZE THAT A FIGHT BETWEEN THESE TWO IS TANTAMOUNT TO THE USUAL BIG NAMES OF BOXING, FIGHTING IN THE SAME WEIGHT DIVISION, FOR A TITLE, MONEY PRIZE, OR SOME SORT OF SPECTACULAR EXHIBITION.

geeeeeeeeeeez you two are too ******* SIMPLE!!!!

Having a contract to fight for Showtime and then switching to HBO is easy because very rarely (in fact Mike Tyson is the last guy I remember) do Showtime hand out big money, long length contracts to get guys to sign. Jumping from network to network is fine, but dropping out of a tournament is a big no-no. Taylor was let out because of concerns for the guys health.
    I repeat, I'm sorry if you understood it the wrong way like always, I simply mean't that a fight with these two (AFTER WARDS CONTRACT IS FINISHED LETS SAY, LIKE A COHERENT PERSON WOULD FIGURE BY HIMSELF) would be very interesting, and most likely—knowing how prominent their names are at this point—asked for by the fans. You protege simply seems to be suggesting that martinez isn't a serious contender for ward.

Oh and...

RIP Valero. I know he should be rotting but I've begun to feel sympathy for the guy.. he's got some serious mental issues and the people that surround him should seriously take a long hard look at themselves. These people were close friends and advisors of Valero and the best they could do was book him a 30 day stint in rehab. People need to be held accountable for what has happened.. RIP to Mrs. Valero too. She put up with way too much ****.

It's speculative, it's not known that he's had mental health issues. This is always the platitude that follows such irrational decision making.
    This was obviously a crime of passion (a jealously issue), knowing many men from venezula myself brings me—but doesn't totally convince me—that edwin was just a male chauvinist who had his wife beaten for courting another man. We can accredit the latter to mental issues, but what exactly are 'mental issues', and how serious were they if the man was allowed not just to walk freely around cities where he bought houses in Venezula, but also, fight for a living (a sport literally damaging to the brain)?

Same goes with Chris Benoit (professional wrestle from Canada) when many here in the states stated that it was "roid rage" to blame for killing his wife and child, and not because his wife was horribly cruel to him—turning his child against him during the time they were together.

To me it's speculative, we won't know till we get further accurate reports in. Drugs can exacerbate their mental state, but if they are not reasonably mentally ill, then there's no reason to blame a 3rd rail. I believe anger is an emotion that can be abated with reason, consoling, but it's not an excuse to pardon his guardians or himself from blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet Pea)
    Don't even bother trying to get through to Vilongo. The guy is completely deluded

ReputationRep:
    Sad day for boxing.

Although I think Valero was a scumbag for beating and killing his wife, he was undoubtably a great talent that could have provided many great fights. Sad to see yet more deaths in boxing in the last year or so. RIP.

ReputationRep:
    I’m better than Ali, Robinson, says Mayweather

ARROGANT MAYWEATHER SAYS HE’S BETTER THAN ALI AND SUGAR RAY ROBINSON

Floyd Mayweather claims to be the greatest boxer ever before his upcoming fight with Ricky Hatton on December 8th. The unbeaten American welterweight insists he is better than legends Sugar Ray Robinson and Muhammad Ali.

ReputationRep:
    No one's better than Iron Mike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    No one's better than Iron Mike

ReputationRep:

love those videos bro, had them favourited as soon as I saw them .

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.