The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Looks like Broner and Maidana are getting it on again. what do we all think?

Me personally, i think it will be a little closer but i expect maidana to still pull it off

AB is not About Billions, he's About Burgers
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Calzaghe clearly beat Hopkins, clearly.

You missed out a couple names, most notably Hatton; who many regard as Floyd's second best victory after Corrales.

Also, I'd keep an eye on Martin Murray; another guy with huge potential. Deserved at least a draw against Martinez. Would like to see him get it on with Triple G.

I suggest rewatching the fight, with the sound off. See if you still disagree with me? To me Hopkins controlled the pace of the fight, he showed the greater ring generalship through his counter punching, and Calzaghe's aggression wasn't that effective

Hatton was a bum man. He went 38-0 with nobodies, or people past there past (Castillo and Kosta Tszyu), stepped up to the elite for 2 fights, and got outclassed. Hatton barely won a round against Floyd, it was men against boys. All Floyd had to do was box him, and he couldn't get in on the inside. Fair play, to beating Paulie Maliganni, but you can't really go down as HoF for one fight against an arguable journey man in Paullie Maliganni.

I've don't believe I've come across Martin Murray. I've just googled him and turns out he is 31. Any potential he has /(had?) he should have been showing by now tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by oh-my-diddy

Me personally, i think it will be a little closer but i expect maidana to still pull it off

All Broner has to do is box Maidana and he'll win. Maidana's not the greatest boxer, and prefers to make it ugly.

It's like when Roger Mayweather always tells Floyd in the corner if he's ever struggling 'all you gotta do is box the kid, and you'll beat him easy.'
A bit of footwork wouldn't hurt Broner.....
Original post by frankieboy
A bit of footwork wouldn't hurt Broner.....

This is my personal favourite:

Original post by mrmicrosoft
This is my personal favourite:

How about this lol

How about this lol

i honestly dont know if I hate him or love him:rofl:
I suggest rewatching the fight, with the sound off. See if you still disagree with me? To me Hopkins controlled the pace of the fight, he showed the greater ring generalship through his counter punching, and Calzaghe's aggression wasn't that effective

Yeah I remember staying up to watch that fight and I felt Calzaghe was fortuitous to win that night. Hopkins got a first round knockdown and Calzaghe won because he threw alot of punches to get the points on the scorecard but not alot of those punches connected but the judges were swayed. Speaking of Calzaghe, his last fight against Roy Jones Jnr - completely one-sided. Just a massive shame he left just as Froch was making his way up - one BIG British fight that sadly never happened - Froch vs. Calzaghe.

On Maidana vs. Broner II - expect latter to win this time unless Marcos catches him again with a bomb.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5328
i honestly dont know if I hate him or love him:rofl:

How about this lol

Don't you guys think he just comes across as a wannabe Mayweather?

Floyd Mayweather may be a arrogant idiot outside of the ring but inside the ring he is a beast. I reckon Mayweather is way more hardworking than people give him credit for. Same cannot be said about Broner. I reckon Khan could give him a good match providing Khan doesn't get caught.

Hatton was a bum man. He went 38-0 with nobodies, or people past there past (Castillo and Kosta Tszyu), stepped up to the elite for 2 fights, and got outclassed. Hatton barely won a round against Floyd, it was men against boys. All Floyd had to do was box him, and he couldn't get in on the inside. Fair play, to beating Paulie Maliganni, but you can't really go down as HoF for one fight against an arguable journey man in Paullie Maliganni.

I've don't believe I've come across Martin Murray. I've just googled him and turns out he is 31. Any potential he has /(had?) he should have been showing by now tbh.

People saying "watch the fight with sound off" is the most patronising comment in boxing. I don't need the commentators to tell me who I think won the fight.

Hatton was far from a bum. Being outclassed by the two greatest boxers of his generation is nothing to be ashamed off. He had a few excellent victories prior to the Mayweather fight.

As for Martin Murray, I'd still keep an eye on him. 31 isn't that old for a middle-weight.

If I was a betting man, I'd be tempted to put money on Broner winning by decision. I think he'll right his wrongs that he made. Although, I wouldn't take the rematch. Jumping from 135 to 147 was silly, he didn't bring his power up with him. Should go back down to at least 140 and clean out that division first.

:lol: at About Burgers

x

As a fighter, Hatton was always overrated. His only wins of note came against the finished versions of "Cool" Vince Phillips, Tsyzu and a bloated Jose Luis Castillo, who was only there for a paycheck. Between those guys, he got a very generous decision against Luis Collazo, a lifelong gatekeeper who was three fights removed from a win over an opponent with the lofty record of 7-41-1.
Froch saying he's happy to give Groves a re-match (before he'd said he wouldn't give him a pay-day) but only after facing Julio Chavez Jnr in America. TBH, cleverly, Froch's hoping Groves loses his next fight and loses value so he'll avoid a rematch which he's worried about having struggled against Groves in the first one.

Chavez' stock has dropped since he failed his drugs test and lost to Martinez was it? And with Chavez probably being a more recognised name in America than Froch, fight won't bring in as much money as would Froch/Groves II.
Mayweather vs Khan or Maidana, who you like ?
Me personally, i think he'll beat both but i think khan will be tougher to crack. i think maidana is a tad too crude for floyd
Agreed. Khan.
Reply 5334
Khan doesn't even deserve the fight. All he has done is win unconvincingly against a relatively unknown fighter in Juan Diaz and a tune up fight against Carlos Molina. Maidana is definitely my preferred choice but if it were up to me, Mayweather wouldn't even be choosing either of these fighters. Even if he can't fight Pacquiao or Bradley, he could still fight Shawn Porter, Keith Thurman and Lara who would pose more of a threat imo.
Reply 5335
Original post by trrr
Khan doesn't even deserve the fight. All he has done is win unconvincingly against a relatively unknown fighter in Juan Diaz and a tune up fight against Carlos Molina. Maidana is definitely my preferred choice but if it were up to me, Mayweather wouldn't even be choosing either of these fighters. Even if he can't fight Pacquiao or Bradley, he could still fight Shawn Porter, Keith Thurman and Lara who would pose more of a threat imo.

Khan is a former light welterweight champion of the world. Remember Khan beat Maidana :wink: Just because he has won his past two fights against poor opposition should not discredit the fact that he is a former world champion who has beaten some good boxers like Judah, Maidana, Paulio etc.

Floyd has faced boxers like Maidana millions of times and will easily out box them as he did recently with Canelo, Guerrero and many others.

Khans style is different from the norm so it adds a different dimension to the fight.

My opinion..

I really want to see Maidana v Matthyse (Excuse spelling).
I want to see Khan vs Pacquiao. Bit of a grudge match with Roach involved. Two fast exciting boxers.
Reply 5337
Original post by Kutta
Khan is a former light welterweight champion of the world. Remember Khan beat Maidana :wink: Just because he has won his past two fights against poor opposition should not discredit the fact that he is a former world champion who has beaten some good boxers like Judah, Maidana, Paulio etc.

Floyd has faced boxers like Maidana millions of times and will easily out box them as he did recently with Canelo, Guerrero and many others.

Khans style is different from the norm so it adds a different dimension to the fight.

My opinion..

I really want to see Maidana v Matthyse (Excuse spelling).

The Khan/Maidana fight was almost four years ago and that was before he had those 2 consecutive losses to Peterson and Garcia. Since those losses he hasn't fought a single credible opponent while Maidana on the other hand has won his last four fights against better opponents and is actually a champion.
Reply 5338
I want to see Khan vs Pacquiao. Bit of a grudge match with Roach involved. Two fast exciting boxers.

Pacquiao would destroy Khan.
Original post by trrr
Pacquiao would destroy Khan.

Probably. Would still make for an exciting fight.

Latest