Turn on thread page Beta

Boxing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Must be tough vacating a belt(s) you didnt lose too. Hopefully see him back on the throne soon.
    Exactly. He is a true boss.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Got to question Hearn, who says that he wants "to protect" AJ. Where was his protection of other fighters? I get that a promoter's job is to push a fighter, while protecting them, but throwing Kell in with GGG was hardly sensible business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Got to question Hearn, who says that he wants "to protect" AJ. Where was his protection of other fighters? I get that a promoter's job is to push a fighter, while protecting them, but throwing Kell in with GGG was hardly sensible business.
    I agree about not protecting Brook, but it was still good business. 500k UK households bought a PPV with Brook's name on it, and a lot of them will buy again the next time Brook's in a relevant fight.

Also, if Joshua fights Wlad, that isn't protecting him at all. Besides Ortiz (who Eddie just signed), Wlad is the most dangerous fight Joshua can take right now. If Wlad-Joshua actually happens next, I'll give Hearn all the credit in the world.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    I agree about not protecting Brook, but it was still good business. 500k UK households bought a PPV with Brook's name on it, and a lot of them will buy again the next time Brook's in a relevant fight.

Also, if Joshua fights Wlad, that isn't protecting him at all. Besides Ortiz (who Eddie just signed), Wlad is the most dangerous fight Joshua can take right now. If Wlad-Joshua actually happens next, I'll give Hearn all the credit in the world.
    I completely agree it was good business from a financial point of view, but Hearn was on Five Live saying AJ was his mate, and he wanted to protect him. Those quotes - and trying to do the "best by my fighters", as Hearn put it - doesn't really tally with some of his previous comments.

Yeah, agreed. It's a weird predicament for AJ. Wlad clearly has flaws, but I reckon a loss with Wlad schooling AJ for 12 rounds and winning on points would arguably be worse than AJ getting knocked down early in a fight and being tagged a few times tbh.

ReputationRep:
    You can only protect a fighter so far, then you have to consider whether it is better to take the risk. Brook and AJ are hype fighters, and they were one bad fight away from losing that hype. Perhaps too early for AJ* but Brook had pretty much done all he could, the next stage was to establish himself as either a top tier fighter or a filler for the top tier fighters. Brook got smashed up by GGG, but if Canelo needs a filler fight for example, he can credibly fight Brook without too much risk. From Brook's point of view, he's 30 and can establish himself as one of the names in the division, and as Kenan pointed out, he's made bank. If he didn't make the jump then when was going to get a better chance?

*Then again, heavyweight is so threadbare (minus Fury atm too) that quite possibly the quickest and as a result the safest way to establish AJ as top dog is the put him in the ring with a Wlad who although a massive name, is aging and based on his last fight quick possibly doesn't have his heart in it either mentally and is past it physically. Not to mention he's been in a state of near fight readiness now for how long because of Tyson dragging his heels? At 40 years old, that probably takes its toll. Could just be a calculation that he's not risking AJ at all, but its the illusion that he is that makes it so appealing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bellew retains and stops BJ Flores in three.

ReputationRep:
    ^Then proceeds to tear up Haye post-fight. I wouldn't call myself a Bellew fan but liked how he went for Haye and he'll make more money fighting Haye than trying to unify the cruiserweight division. Haye's response was bland and I hope if they do fight, that his role is a bit more exciting it was in the brief Haye-Fury build up when he tried to let the latter be the clown and he more reserved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A fighter with no defence who throws wild punches hoping for the best.

Easy work for Haye.

ReputationRep:

Well, you've got to give Eddie all the credit now. xD
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    ^Then proceeds to tear up Haye post-fight. I wouldn't call myself a Bellew fan but liked how he went for Haye and he'll make more money fighting Haye than trying to unify the cruiserweight division. Haye's response was bland and I hope if they do fight, that his role is a bit more exciting it was in the brief Haye-Fury build up when he tried to let the latter be the clown and he more reserved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    A fighter with no defence who throws wild punches hoping for the best.

Easy work for Haye.
    The way the crowd got up for Bellew calling Haye out was exceptional.

The latter already has a December bout penned in, and will likely have eyes on Fury's vacated straps, so unsure it'll happen imminently.

But Haye loves a pound sign and, if he values a payday over a title shot at this stage of his career, Bellew is the obvious fight to make.

ReputationRep:
    ^I don't think he has an opponent for December - Briggs was rumoured since Haye's last fight but that's quitened down and tbh, I'd really like to see Haye-Joshua now that AJ-Fury won't happen now. Eddie seems bit hesitant to call for the former fight so he'd probably feel more open if Joshua beats Wlad and gets that defining fight over with which according to reports is a fight set to be confirmed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ^I don't think he has an opponent for December - Briggs was rumoured since Haye's last fight but that's quitened down and tbh, I'd really like to see Haye-Joshua now that AJ-Fury won't happen now. Eddie seems bit hesitant to call for the former fight so he'd probably feel more open if Joshua beats Wlad and gets that defining fight over with which according to reports is a fight set to be confirmed.
    Oh really? You may be right. Thought I heard Haye mention last night that he has a fight coming up. May be a case of it not being announced yet? Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    December 10th seems to be the date for Joshua vs Wlad. Expect confirmation sometime next week.

Hopefully its in Manchester. Never been to a boxing fight before.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yep, everybody reporting it now. Huge.

ReputationRep:
    Wlad supposedly has a calf injury. AJ's next opponent to be announced already......

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah, Eddie has confirmed Wlad-AJ ain't happening.

ReputationRep:
    Joshua-Price wouldn't be a bad option considering if they want to stick to the December 10th date - better than some bum no-one has heard of.

ReputationRep:
    Joshua-Price wouldn't be a bad option considering if they want to stick to the December 10th date - better than some bum no-one has heard of.
    Is it really? This way he's fighting a bum people have heard of, and he'll get more credit than he deserves when he sparks him out inside 4.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Is it really? This way he's fighting a bum people have heard of, and he'll get more credit than he deserves when he sparks him out inside 4.
    The Wlad delay seems a bit peculiar to me. On first glance, it just seemed like Wlad wanted nothing to do with AJ and wanted an easier, smoother fight for his farewell. But now he's saying that he'll fight AJ in the spring, which suggests he doesn't feel he's ready for him before Christmas, which is odd given that he was ready for Fury.

ReputationRep:
    Come on guys the biggest fight of the decade is coming up and this chat is dead. What are your predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.