Boxing Watch

Né Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Woo!

B-Hop from Philli

My gosh - the only person he should fight before retiring is the winner of the Jermain Taylor & Winky fight! That's it.

Tarver is now going to wish to fight Calzaghe to try and gain a credible reputation again
He's only ever won the important fights after rematches, and he has now lost at least once to Roy Jones Jnr, Bernard Hopkins and Glen Johnson who are all above him IMO.

He might as well try to ear some cash from those Rocky fights, as he'll only ever get a pittance from minors.

Oh - Oscar De Las Hoya V Floyd Mayweather :eek:
If Oscar performs like he did against Mayorga, Floyd will have trouble. If Floyd beats this guy, you just can't say he isn't the greatest pound-for-pound in a long time.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Come on Calzaghe

Worried but, excited. I predict a Calzaghe win (no bias, honest )
CJ
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
phew i was worried for a second there.... that wasn't the true Calzaghe by a long shot...
he was barely ducking/weaving, not throwing quick 1-2's then stepping back and leaning into the counters...
he needs to sharpen up for his next bout for sure especially if its gonna be a 'big' name fight...
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Yep, I'd agree with you there. I think all in all, Calzaghe did well to win by that margin. Forget style, Sakio Bika had none, and was determined to out-headbutt, out-wrestle and out-muscle Calzaghe.

I think Calzaghe lost in the strength department, but his technical skill and actual boxing were sublime. He lost his head a few times by ignoring the southpaw stance of his, and being drawn into a battle, which he did well at the start, but failed towards the end. Dropping his arms was a silly reckless thing to do, but he cared to much about that non-existent American respect.

I want him to fight Kessler and then retire, hopefully as a great.
CJ
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by walshie)

I want him to fight Kessler and then retire, hopefully as a great.
hmmmm although he seems interested in this title defence record which, if drags on a few more years, could cost his unbeated run....
Klinsmannic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bika was an absolute rock. I wasn't happy with the showboating Calzaghe employed in the first 5 rounds, it showed a lack of respect towards his opponent who was a lot better than expected. If he had started off professionally from the first bell Calzaghe would have won a lot more comfortably imo. Nevertheless he got the job done...hopefully that cut of his can heal up double quick.

Calzaghe's performance against Lacy was the best I've seen in the ten years I've been watching boxing, I was hoping for something similar last night but it never really materialised. There weren't those blistering in-and-out combos and he looked about 30% off his best.
lil_miss_trouble1987
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
im sorry but that was the dirtyest fight i have seen in a long time the headbutts the fighting after the bell.... good fight all in all but propa dirty.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Someone just gave me neg for post number 3 of this thread!! lol wtf! At least tell me why if you don't want to leave your name.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
^ Maybe it was another post, but they just decided it was that one? I don't understand that either :confused:

Upcoming fights:
20th October 06
John Keaton v Lee Swaby (cruiserweight)
21st Pctober 2006
Daniel Ponce de Leon v Al Seeger (Super Bnatamweight)
4th November 2006
Carlos Baldomir v Floyd Mayweather (welterweight)
Serguei Lyakhovich v Shannon Briggs (heavyweight)
Cory Spinks v Rodney Jones (light middlweight)
Juan Diaz v Fernando Angulo (lightweight)
Alex Arthur v Sergio Palomo (super featherweight)
Wladimir Klitschko v Calvin Brock (heavyweight)
17th November 2006
David Haye v Giacobbe Fragomeni (cruiserweight)
18th November 2006
Manny Pacquiao v Erik Morales (super featherweight)
19th November 2006
Acelino Freitas v Julio Diaz (lightweight)
24th November 2006
Carl Froch v Tony Dodson (super middleweight)
2nd December 2006
Miguel Angel Cotto v Carlos Quintana (welterweight)
Antonio Margarito v Joshua Clottey (welterweight)
9th December 2006
Scott Harrison v Nicky Cook (featherweight)
Matt Skelton v Audley Harrison (heavyweight)
Jermain Taylor v Kassim Ouma (middleweight)
Oleg Maskae v Peter Okhello (heavyweight)

And there we have it. Anyone wnat to make any predictions?
Oscar de la Hoya V PBF is a dodgy encounter as I think Oscar will really turn on the style and hurt him. He is naturally heavier, and if PBF does beat him, well you can safely say he'll deal with Ricky Hatton!
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Upcoming fights:
Carlos Baldomir v Floyd Mayweather (welterweight)
Alex Arthur v Sergio Palomo (super featherweight)
Wladimir Klitschko v Calvin Brock (heavyweight)
17th November 2006
David Haye v Giacobbe Fragomeni (cruiserweight)
18th November 2006
Manny Pacquiao v Erik Morales (super featherweight)
19th November 2006
Acelino Freitas v Julio Diaz (lightweight)
24th November 2006
Carl Froch v Tony Dodson (super middleweight)
2nd December 2006
Miguel Angel Cotto v Carlos Quintana (welterweight)
Scott Harrison v Nicky Cook (featherweight)
Matt Skelton v Audley Harrison (heavyweight)
Jermain Taylor v Kassim Ouma (middleweight)
I've picked a few fights and highlighted my predictions. You may wonder why I've gone for an Audley Harrison win, but I think he's learnt his lessons and has a top trainer...plus I don't like Skelton.

I also think Baldomir will upset Pretty Boy....Baldomir is an awesome fighter, and I think his style will be too 'in your face' for Mayweather- shocking as it may seem.

I also think the Pacquiao Morales fight will be awesome.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
I've picked a few fights and highlighted my predictions. You may wonder why I've gone for an Audley Harrison win, but I think he's learnt his lessons and has a top trainer...plus I don't like Skelton.

I also think Baldomir will upset Pretty Boy....Baldomir is an awesome fighter, and I think his style will be too 'in your face' for Mayweather- shocking as it may seem.

I also think the Pacquiao Morales fight will be awesome.
I quite like your predictions on thw whole.
I think PBF will beat Baldomir under the premise of Baldomir's sloppiness. He's a beast who can cause trouble, but PBF iwill be just too quick for him. I just can't see it happening. If Carlos manages to overwhelm Floyd and have a toe-to-toe fight, Carlois will be the eventual winner.

I also think Manny Pacquaio will put aside Morales, which will lead to Morales retirement.

Agree with you on Harrison over Skelton. I think he won't make the same mistake again. As for the other Harrison, I don't think he'll be fighting!

But, I'm looking forward to David Haye putting his opponent aside. I would like to see a showdown with Enzo, as Enzo is quite large, but Haye is by far the better boxer IMO. One of my favourite boxers.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Baldomir coped very well with the speed of Judah, and the overall technical ability of Gatti. PBF combines both these attributes, but I have a sneaky feeling that Baldomir will steal it. If he's can get past round 5/6 intact, he's capable of out muscling anyone imo. Gatti seemed to be comfortable up until round 6 or 7, but after that Baldomir absolutely dominated. His strength and tenacity is unbelievable, and he reminds me of Hatton in certain ways. As you say, if PBF allows it to get toe-to-toe Baldomir will win.

Im a big fan of Morales and expect him to show glipmses of his old self and go out on a high. Pacquiao is obvioulsy a brilliant fighter pound for pound but Morales can take anything thrown at him. Perhaps I'm a bit biased lol, it will be a very tough for for him.

I hear Enzo & JC are off to America to promote themselves...probably looking to arrange fights with US boxers. I think Kessler should be Joe's last fight, but B'Hop would be awesome.
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
PBF should deal with Baldomir.
umarf786
Report 12 years ago
Baldomir coped very well with the speed of Judah, and the overall technical ability of Gatti. PBF combines both these attributes, but I have a sneaky feeling that Baldomir will steal it. If he's can get past round 5/6 intact, he's capable of out muscling anyone imo. Gatti seemed to be comfortable up until round 6 or 7, but after that Baldomir absolutely dominated. His strength and tenacity is unbelievable, and he reminds me of Hatton in certain ways. As you say, if PBF allows it to get toe-to-toe Baldomir will win.

Im a big fan of Morales and expect him to show glipmses of his old self and go out on a high. Pacquiao is obvioulsy a brilliant fighter pound for pound but Morales can take anything thrown at him. Perhaps I'm a bit biased lol, it will be a very tough for for him.

I hear Enzo & JC are off to America to promote themselves...probably looking to arrange fights with US boxers. I think Kessler should be Joe's last fight, but B'Hop would be awesome.
How can you say that PBF wiull struggle v Baldomir. I agree Baldomir did well v Gatti and Judah, BUT PBF is the most slickest fighter ever! I think Baldomir, in his 'trying too hard' approach may get knocked out. I also think that the movement of PBF will be hard for Baldomir to cope against, he will hit and move, hit and move. And Baldomir can't do it like that because he brawls.

Agree about JC and Enzo, two of the brightest spots in British Boxing at the moment. Still think Enzo needs a few more fights before he can go to USA but worth a go.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by umarf786)
How can you say that PBF wiull struggle v Baldomir. I agree Baldomir did well v Gatti and Judah, BUT PBF is the most slickest fighter ever! I think Baldomir, in his 'trying too hard' approach may get knocked out. I also think that the movement of PBF will be hard for Baldomir to cope against, he will hit and move, hit and move. And Baldomir can't do it like that because he brawls.
The reason why the heavyweight division is historically the most spectacular division is because of the awesome power of the fighters and their ability to turn a fight with their strength. That's why I think Baldomir is capable of a causing an upset. The Baldomir-Gatti fight was a fight of two halves...Gatti looked in control for most of the fight and his class was showing through but all of a sudden Baldomir went all guns blazing and turned the fight in the 6th or 7th round IIRC. The guy is a beast, and as we all know lots of upsets in boxing are caused by powerful fighters. PBF will never get outboxed, but I'm sure he is vulnerable to Baldomir's power. This is why we love the sport, anything can happen at any time in most divisions.
Paul69
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
Surely it's vice versa, they get respected 'cos of how good they've proven themselves to be?
I am replying to this pompous, parochial ignoramos, with regards to his comments about boxing. Where do you draw your conclutions from. Ah, from behind your XBox I suppose. Listen mate Boxing is a sport that has risks like many other sports. I dont wanna go down this well debatted path. Boxing exists - Live with it and realise that there are true, heroic Champions out there that you would not be fit to be a 100 miles of. Are you insecure? That is a rhetorical question.
Please dont take offence but please do spend less time on your XBox.
CJ
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Paul69)
I am replying to this pompous, parochial ignoramos, with regards to his comments about boxing. Where do you draw your conclutions from. Ah, from behind your XBox I suppose. Listen mate Boxing is a sport that has risks like many other sports. I dont wanna go down this well debatted path. Boxing exists - Live with it and realise that there are true, heroic Champions out there that you would not be fit to be a 100 miles of. Are you insecure? That is a rhetorical question.
Please dont take offence but please do spend less time on your XBox.
so how do you believe respect to be gained then oh wise one...??
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, I was wrong. PBF outboxed Baldomir from start to finish. To Baldomir's credit he shouwed a lot of heart, but in his own words he felt 'sluggish' whenever he got into the right positions and he payed for it.

PBF intends to retire after fighting De La Hoya some time next year. Will probably be 30 when he retires, which is very young. He could continue for another 5 years at the top.
Né Stig
Rep:
?
Well, I was wrong. PBF outboxed Baldomir from start to finish. To Baldomir's credit he shouwed a lot of heart, but in his own words he felt 'sluggish' whenever he got into the right positions and he payed for it.

PBF intends to retire after fighting De La Hoya some time next year. Will probably be 30 when he retires, which is very young. He could continue for another 5 years at the top.
Carlos is a sluggish, cumbersome Oscar DLH. I always said PBF would beat Baldomir because he is just a lummox. He looked so slow, I was scratching my head thinking, how did he exactly win against Zab, Gatti etc?

Mayweather at times looked so good, all because of a mediocre opponent. Carlos is not medicocre, I can't say that after his recent wins, but the Carlos on the night was just plain awful.

And as for PBF again claiming he will put ODLH on his ass, I will even have a bet it happens the other way. Its the one fighter I think could really deal with PBF, and I hope he does.

Anyway - good weekend from boxing. Looking really forward to Haye soon
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by walshie)
Carlos is a sluggish, cumbersome Oscar DLH. I always said PBF would beat Baldomir because he is just a lummox. He looked so slow, I was scratching my head thinking, how did he exactly win against Zab, Gatti etc?

Mayweather at times looked so good, all because of a mediocre opponent. Carlos is not medicocre, I can't say that after his recent wins, but the Carlos on the night was just plain awful.

And as for PBF again claiming he will put ODLH on his ass, I will even have a bet it happens the other way. Its the one fighter I think could really deal with PBF, and I hope he does.

Anyway - good weekend from boxing. Looking really forward to Haye soon
Against a fighter like Mayweather you need a good start if you're gonna cause an upset, and Baldomir just flopped big time. On his day I still think he can beat anyone (he'll probs retire now actually), but boxing doesn't work like that. Fair play to PBF.

The Golden Boy vs the Pretty Boy- has a nice ring to it :cool:

You see the Kevin Mitchell fight the other week? Everyone was waxing lyrical about him being as good as Khan, but he didn't impress me at all. He got hit far too easily, and while he countered well at times, he could have been knocked out had George Ashie paced himself and actually boxed instead of wildly swinging his right hand.

Haye should be interesting...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.93%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.59%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise