Turn on thread page Beta

Boxing watch

Announcements
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    needs some more time with his new trainer, and he needs to watch some tapes of PBF.
    For when his backs up against the wall, most definitely. None better than Floyd at grinding through unscathed. You have to wonder if Khan would ever be able to convert into that counter punch mode all too well though, he seems to try and force the issue and just hopes he doesn't get caught again.
    Could clearly see after the knockdown he was still swinging trying to slow Gomez, but his arms weren't in it.
    Certainly needs to work on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <CJ>)
    For when his backs up against the wall, most definitely. None better than Floyd at grinding through unscathed. You have to wonder if Khan would ever be able to convert into that counter punch mode all too well though, he seems to try and force the issue and just hopes he doesn't get caught again.
    Could clearly see after the knockdown he was still swinging trying to slow Gomez, but his arms weren't in it.
    Certainly needs to work on it.
    Yeah I agree Mayweather has natural talent that can't really be taught. I was referring more to things like body shape, hand position, maximising hand-speed etc. For example, Mayweather's body position vs Hatton was such that Hatton, who fights in a similar kind of way to Gomez, couldn't get a clean hit for most of the fight. Mayweather was comfortable with the range- in terms of defence he knows when to stay on the outside and when to go in on the inside and close up his body shape to minimise the target. I'm not saying all these things can be picked up by Khan for the next fight, but he should certainly work on them, and try to vary things up a little and build up his boxing smarts. With a few tweaks and a couple more fights I think he could surprise a few people and win a half-decent world title. Having said that, I'm not too sure about his coaching situation. Harrison was **** apparently, and Dean Powell is hardly a world-class trainer Should have gone for a top-class yank- McGirt, Mayweather etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Mayweather was comfortable with the range- in terms of defence he knows when to stay on the outside and when to go in on the inside and close up his body shape to minimise the target. I'm not saying all these things can be picked up by Khan for the next fight, but he should certainly work on them, and try to vary things up a little and build up his boxing smarts. With a few tweaks and a couple more fights I think he could surprise a few people and win a half-decent world title.
    Yeah, a PBF type defence could do wonders for Khan. As far I know PBF didn't have the best of chins but how many times has he ever been hit cleanly?
    Food for thought.

ReputationRep:
    Khan needs to learn defensive tactics. Even if it's not from PBF. He could actually just look at gomez. Gomez was rolling quite well but couldn't match amir's speed. Amir just never seems to roll or parry shots. He's got the hand-speed and he's got the natural pace to be able to be a great counter-puncher. I think being a big man at lightweight has hinded him more than helped as he just seems to want to tee-off at every opportunity. Amir could do with looking at pavlik's style (as they are both big guys at their weight and have similar attributes) and adapt his fast speed into a counter punching style. If he is able to work on this and to develop as a solid out-fighter he really could be good.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really think Khan is as good as people say he is?

He has already been knocked down twice and hasnt got too good of a chin, he would certainly lose against the pacman and is nowhere near a world title fight.

He shouldnt be compared to preetyboy, cuz floyd is a counter puncher his defence is too good, whereas khan is more attacking and looks for the knockout and does no counter punching, well good anyway.

So i dont know whether khan will change his style, if he does he wont be exposing his talents to the max, whereas floyds speed was a major attribute to the counter punching but khan uses his speed in a different way.
    so who knows what will happen nex but we all know

There is only one floyd mayweather jr

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_used_to_love_H.E.R)
    Do you really think Khan is as good as people say he is?

He has already been knocked down twice and hasnt got too good of a chin, he would certainly lose against the pacman and is nowhere near a world title fight.

He shouldnt be compared to preetyboy, cuz floyd is a counter puncher his defence is too good, whereas khan is more attacking and looks for the knockout and does no counter punching, well good anyway.

So i dont know whether khan will change his style, if he does he wont be exposing his talents to the max, whereas floyds speed was a major attribute to the counter punching but khan uses his speed in a different way.
    so who knows what will happen nex but we all know

There is only one floyd mayweather jr
    I still love HER

ReputationRep:
    Respect the name and picture. Manfredo

Hmm i used to love her, the true essence is surely gone tho.

ReputationRep:
    So who else here cant wait for cotto vs margarito.

Most people i talk to are favoring margarito now hes a great boxer with a good chin, but im still going for cotto, because he is lethal.

ReputationRep:
    Heh didn't think you would recognise him there...

Yeah im gunning for Cotto aka Miguel Angel low Blotto

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Khan looks suspect still. Okay he got caught last weekend, but he must've caught Gomez with 10 similar punches yet he didn't go down.
    Comparing him to Floyd is a bit of a joke.

Anyway, I've been watching more UFC than boxing lately. Probably shouldn't mention that around here...:p: Several friends are the same. I wonder where boxing will stand in say 10-15 years time.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone see the Andre Berto fight, he is a serious wetherweight, the division looks really good now.
    What a great time for PBF to retire.

I also think Paul Williams is one of the best Welterweights out there right now, im sure the winner of cotto margarito will face him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Yeah, Khan looks suspect still. Okay he got caught last weekend, but he must've caught Gomez with 10 similar punches yet he didn't go down.
    Comparing him to Floyd is a bit of a joke.

Anyway, I've been watching more UFC than boxing lately. Probably shouldn't mention that around here...:p: Several friends are the same. I wonder where boxing will stand in say 10-15 years time.
    Erm, nobody is comparing Khan with Mayweather afaik. The point was raised that Khan would do well to learn a few tricks from Mayweather, particularly on the defensive side of his game. There's a clear distinction.

Boxing will always be top dog imo.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone see the Andre Berto fight, he is a serious wetherweight, the division looks really good now.
    What a great time for PBF to retire.

I also think Paul Williams is one of the best Welterweights out there right now, im sure the winner of cotto margarito will face him.
    I think williams should fight mosley (he can still be in the ww mix in my opinion) and the victor fights cotto while cotto fights dlh in his farewell fight at the end of the year.
    Like this, cotto and williams will have potentially both beat mosley and margarito
    Anyone watching pac-diaz tonight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roots)
    I think williams should fight mosley (he can still be in the ww mix in my opinion) and the victor fights cotto while cotto fights dlh in his farewell fight at the end of the year.
    Like this, cotto and williams will have potentially both beat mosley and margarito
    Anyone watching pac-diaz tonight
    Wow the pacman definently showed he is the best boxer in the world, obviously considering PBF has 'retired', im not sure whether he should fight hatton because he'll beat em.
    Khan should also wait at least 2/3 years to fight him if he does.

ReputationRep:
    Wow the pacman definently showed he is the best boxer in the world, obviously considering PBF has 'retired', im not sure whether he should fight hatton because he'll beat em.
    Khan should also wait at least 2/3 years to fight him if he does.
    Aye, I just watched it as well. He absolutely hammered Diaz. I was really surprised how well he made the weight. He still looked very quick and his hand speed was amazing. A hatton, pac-man fight would be probably one of the greatest fights ever and on this evidence, I think pacquiao could fight at 140.

Khan could learn a lot from watching how pcquiao fought Diaz. The pac-man has certainly come of age as fighter now that he doesn't just got out and swing windmills for 12 rounds!

Diaz and pacquiao after the fight:

ReputationRep:
    Diaz was such a gracious loser, hats off to him.

ReputationRep:
    Someone told me Khan suggested a fight with the Pacman before the Gomez fight. Is this 'The Sun'-type gossip or a terrible joke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mos Def)
    Diaz was such a gracious loser, hats off to him.
    I agree and i was happy that most people also noticed this, because he showed he had a heart of a lion. So credit to him.
    Khan is a very talented boxer and can face the pacman but just not yet, he cant fight the best in the world without fighting a boxer with half the talent of the pacman. St Clair was a good fighter tho.

ReputationRep:
    Guy with a glass chin cannot walk into the ring with the pacman and hope for a victory, unless of course he has uber defence.

ReputationRep:
    It would be like putting a lamb in with a dinosaur. (i.e. like in Jurassic park, even though I think it's like a goat!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 16, 2019
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.