Boxing Watch

roots
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by I_used_to_love_H.E.R)
Yeah i agree the match was boring. I hope David Haye KO's him, but after that who else is there that can contest Haye.

PAul WIlliams is also going to fight kelly Pavlik.

Should be an interesting fight, but williams has to move 2 weights up against probably the best from the division, so I see pavlik winning this.

I think DElahoya is going to fight cotto/margarito, and thats his last, he'll lose against cotto and maybe margarito.

PBF needs to come back and put this situation to rest.
haye has monte barrett and james toney :rolleyes: possibly vitali

can williams actually win, how will he react to the harder punches, it would be a great way for pavlik and arum to lull calzaghe into a fight with pavlik at light heavy if he kos williams

so many names are being thrown around for oscar, i wouldnt be surprised if its neither of the two
I_used_to_love_H.E.R
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by roots)
haye has monte barrett and james toney :rolleyes: possibly vitali

can williams actually win, how will he react to the harder punches, it would be a great way for pavlik and arum to lull calzaghe into a fight with pavlik at light heavy if he kos williams

so many names are being thrown around for oscar, i wouldnt be surprised if its neither of the two

Oscar should retire if you ask me, his time was up ages ago.

LOL, Barrett and Toney, it would be funny to see Haye fight those OAP's but Toney will test him, also Rahman is still around maybe the winner of that may have a chance.
The heavyweight division still has some decent boxers if you think about it, but haye will close the book on all of them.
roots
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oscar should retire if you ask me, his time was up ages ago.

LOL, Barrett and Toney, it would be funny to see Haye fight those OAP's but Toney will test him, also Rahman is still around maybe the winner of that may have a chance.
The heavyweight division still has some decent boxers if you think about it, but haye will close the book on all of them.
someone like oscar de la hoya isnt going to retire with steve forbes as their last fight

i dont keep up much with the heavyweights, who is there chagaev, valuev, ruiz

felix trinidad and fernando vargas could probably win a heavyweight title, plenty of belts to go around
I_used_to_love_H.E.R
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by roots)
someone like oscar de la hoya isnt going to retire with steve forbes as their last fight

i dont keep up much with the heavyweights, who is there chagaev, valuev, ruiz

felix trinidad and fernando vargas could probably win a heavyweight title, plenty of belts to go around
Yeah those heavyweights are good too, Chagaev has good potential and should fight haye too and so should valuev, but not ruiz.

I think haye should have a few more fight before vlad..

WOuldnt it be funny is Oscar retired with forbes as his last fight........lol......

The greatest fighter of our era bows out against the contender runner up..
roots
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah those heavyweights are good too, Chagaev has good potential and should fight haye too and so should valuev, but not ruiz.

I think haye should have a few more fight before vlad..

WOuldnt it be funny is Oscar retired with forbes as his last fight........lol......

The greatest fighter of our era bows out against the contender runner up..
his promotional company isnt doing too well either apart from haye, hatton - exposed, de la hoya - retired, mosley- inactive, barrera - gone, hopkins - retiring, mayweather - gone

you have to give it to bob arum hes turned it around with cotto, pavlik and pacquiao, hes being really crafty feeding diaz, soto and valero to pacquiao, just a year or 2 ago you couldnt get far without goldenboy
I_used_to_love_H.E.R
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by roots)
his promotional company isnt doing too well either apart from haye, hatton - exposed, de la hoya - retired, mosley- inactive, barrera - gone, hopkins - retiring, mayweather - gone

you have to give it to bob arum hes turned it around with cotto, pavlik and pacquiao, hes being really crafty feeding diaz, soto and valero to pacquiao, just a year or 2 ago you couldnt get far without goldenboy

yeah i agree Bob Arum has done well, and hes got the best boxers in the world today....but mayweather hates him alot.....oh well thats boxing..
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't everyone forget the success of 'Frank Warrens Sport Network' lmao... he did really well because of JC and a few others...

Damn gona miss Cotto v Mag because of work, I call it as Cotto winning by KO in the 10th, or pretty much UD Cotto.
username138327
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think williams is gonna struggle against pavlik. He's tall, but I don't think he's that tall and going up 2 weight categories is bad enough let alone fighting a top fighter like pavlik.

I think cotto will win. I can see the fight getting stopped and I reckon Margaritto will cut badly.
roots
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Fellas)
I think williams is gonna struggle against pavlik. He's tall, but I don't think he's that tall and going up 2 weight categories is bad enough let alone fighting a top fighter like pavlik.

I think cotto will win. I can see the fight getting stopped and I reckon Margaritto will cut badly.

its as if everything changes in the boxing world day to day, now pavlik is going to face hopkins on hbos request, de la hoya wants pacquiao and calzaghe isnt retiring after all, oh yeah and james toneys still winning
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Was a decent fight last night. I'm glad for Williams. I hope he has the hunger to train harder and shed some more weight- he looked sluggish again and let his guard down too often. Even at his age, a fit and hungry Danny Williams could be a menace in the heavyweight division, and I hope he knuckles down.
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh dear, it appears as though Calzaghe has busted his hand again. Fight postponed.
username138327
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
Oh dear, it appears as though Calzaghe has busted his hand again. Fight postponed.
Damn not again. Hopefully it'll fully healed soon and he can crack on with training.
roots
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Damn not again. Hopefully it'll fully healed soon and he can crack on with training.
he might be having second thoughts about jones, its rescheduled for november and he might continue after the jones fight
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I doubt it. Calzaghe is the better fighter at the present time, and it's unlike him to dodge a fight/stall. I hope he continues though. Everyone wants a Pavlik showdown. Would be an awesome end to his career.
roots
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
I doubt it. Calzaghe is the better fighter at the present time, and it's unlike him to dodge a fight/stall. I hope he continues though. Everyone wants a Pavlik showdown. Would be an awesome end to his career.
its a money fight so he will take it, its also risky, jones may be motivated and he might be the last guy with the chance to knock that 0 off

calzaghe doesnt offer much to real boxing fans with this fight the ones who dissect your record, 20, 30 years down the line the casual fan will hear that he beat eubank, lacy, reid, mitchell, kessler, hopkins and jones and think hes the greatest, even though the last 2 are beyond their prime
username138327
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by roots)
its a money fight so he will take it, its also risky, jones may be motivated and he might be the last guy with the chance to knock that 0 off

calzaghe doesnt offer much to real boxing fans with this fight the ones who dissect your record, 20, 30 years down the line the casual fan will hear that he beat eubank, lacy, reid, mitchell, kessler, hopkins and jones and think hes the greatest, even though the last 2 are beyond their prime
You could equally argue that he's past his prime as well...
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But then when did he reach his prime, and how long did it last for? Because I can't remember it ... all that comes to mind is Lacey... and then post Lacey he didn't have anything fantastic, Kessler fight wasn't that WOW neither.
roots
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you could but when you see that his last opponent was bernard hopkins, the guy who makes you look poor and creates boring fights with his clinching you have to reserve judgement, he looked fine against kessler, even though id like to see a rematch, calzaghe won that one with his ring intelligence, even still a prime calzaghe beats kessler

if he looks bad against jones, he will retire
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by roots)

Thing is, you can say a lot about the quality of fighter he has come up against, but there's no doubt about his in ring ability. And as has been mentioned, he's fighting the so-called 'old-timers' past his own peak. He's always had hand trouble, and his fights are fewer and far between due to the recovery time needed (especially as he is susceptible to cuts now and then). I just think he's a class above. He'll nail RJJ, and hopefully the new golden-boy in the States, Mr. Pavlik, will be next in line to get taken down a notch or two.

I think you also have to consider the Frank Warren factor. Warren is notorious for protecting his fighters- Naz didn't fight the right guys before he met Barrera, and he looked clueless (literally) that night. Perhaps that experience has led to the possible over-protection of Khan and Calzaghe (up until a few years ago). If that is the case however, surely he should pitch fights which will acclimatise Khan to a fighting a quality boxer. Warren just baffles me tbh. Always has. I'm sure he's made enough money to retire on now. I get the feeling Joe is picking his own fights nowadays, and Warren is happy to let him do it 'cause he knows he'll make another fortune.
username138327
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by roots)
you could but when you see that his last opponent was bernard hopkins, the guy who makes you look poor and creates boring fights with his clinching you have to reserve judgement, he looked fine against kessler, even though id like to see a rematch, calzaghe won that one with his ring intelligence, even still a prime calzaghe beats kessler

if he looks bad against jones, he will retire
Yeah I agree with that, he got a lot of stick he didn't deserve, Hopkins isn't easy to fight and I bet you'll see Pavlik struggle with him as well. My theory as to why he's past his prime is his punching power. He punches nowhere near as hard as he used too, or provide that sort of err dynamite if you know what I mean. Calzaghe used to have dynamite hands, I know it's not really his fault he's lost it. Having broken hands all the time has really taken a lot of the force out of his punches

(Original post by Mos Def)
But then when did he reach his prime, and how long did it last for? Because I can't remember it ... all that comes to mind is Lacey... and then post Lacey he didn't have anything fantastic, Kessler fight wasn't that WOW neither.
Now I remember my first calzaghe fight I watched. I was around 2001 and he was fighting this promising german (or maybe belgian) fighter called Veit. My dad sat me down and said, this fighter is one of the best I've seen, his names Calzaghe and he's the most under-rated fighter in the world. I didn't have to sit down long. It was over in round one. I think calzaghe knocked down Veit 3 times in the first round and the ref stopped it. Since then he's probably been my favourite fighter. He used to bash opponents around and even if he didn't knock them out completely he'd win 12 rounds. In my eyes his peak was around (or maybe just after then). His best performances. Despite that he rotted on sky and when he got the chance to fight this new promising young fighter called Lacey (just like all the other promising fighters who he battered) he battered him and now he's back, but he never went anywhere. Infact he didn't even punch as hard as he used to otherwise lacey never would have got up when he was finally knocked down.

It is a shame that people will forget all the great fights he fought because he had to chase fights or fight infront of a couple of people and a dog on sky. Some even go as far to say he never beat anybody decent, well I can tell you that he didn't fight anybody decent, because after they fought joe they were shadows of themselves.

Spoiler:
Show
sorry if I bored ya!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (130)
46.43%
Pro-humanity (150)
53.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise