The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

WOW!!

Thats all i gotta say....WOW!!

One of the fights of the year, just brilliant!!

Margarito deserved it, when i saw cotto's face at R11, i was gunna pass out!
Reply 1161
i was gonna cry tears of joy for margarito by then, a role model is born, this guys attitude and qualities in and around the ring need to be revered

even if cotto wins a rematch which he might come to realise is not possible given all that he has to offer versus all that margarito has to give, its margaritos win thatll be remembered, he made cottos feared power punches irrelevant, outdid him in the body punching department, beat him psychologically and exposed him previously suspected vulnerable chin

heres to real fighters and not hype fuelled overrated fighters

p4p where??? higher than cotto?? he beat an unbeatable unbeaten WELTERWEIGHT champion
:s-smilie: OMG. I missed it...sh**. I thoguht cotto was a cert. Highlights should be on setanta though.
:frown: ... Cotto had mad skills though, but yeah Mag had more heart. I don't really want to see oscar v margarhitto though...
Cotto started off well, and i thought he would have won....

But when I saw cotto's face in the 11th, i though, damn throw the towel in now....

Margarito had more heart and passion, cotto is still a warrior....

Im sure there will be a rematch, but no one will ever doubt margarito any more...

Still rate cotto tho
But now i can deffo say Floyd would've taken Cotto.
Reply 1166
Mos Def
But now i can deffo say Floyd would've taken Cotto.

maybe, could cotto get through floyds defence to test floyds chin, mayweather takes 1 or 2 rounds to figure his opponent out so cotto could have still earnt his respect, he would definitely need to go to the body and get him out quick but floyd has better speed, footwork, defence, chin although he is shaky at times, good power and better stamina

id even give floyd the win over margarito in a tough controversial fight, floyd has better stamina, will take fewer punches and is accurate but margarito is tough to get out and works nonstop with good power

mayweather might just edge it in a close decision, maybe split
roots
maybe, could cotto get through floyds defence to test floyds chin, mayweather takes 1 or 2 rounds to figure his opponent out so cotto could have still earnt his respect, he would definitely need to go to the body and get him out quick but floyd has better speed, footwork, defence, chin although he is shaky at times, good power and better stamina

id even give floyd the win over margarito in a tough controversial fight, floyd has better stamina, will take fewer punches and is accurate but margarito is tough to get out and works nonstop with good power

mayweather might just edge it in a close decision, maybe split

Yeah I agree, there are many few boxers like floyd, who are just too good. There are usually a few boxers in each era that are like that, like roy jones jr, sugar ray leonard, marvin hagler, B- hop...

I dont think anyone is going to every beat floyd, his defence is too good he will never get seriously hurt even against margarito....his counter punching is the best in the world.....

Thats why i think he should be considered as one of the best boxers ever...

Margarito should face paul williams next, and cotto should also face a top rank maybe andre berto....
Reply 1168
I_used_to_love_H.E.R
Yeah I agree, there are many few boxers like floyd, who are just too good. There are usually a few boxers in each era that are like that, like roy jones jr, sugar ray leonard, marvin hagler, B- hop...

I dont think anyone is going to every beat floyd, his defence is too good he will never get seriously hurt even against margarito....his counter punching is the best in the world.....

Thats why i think he should be considered as one of the best boxers ever...

Margarito should face paul williams next, and cotto should also face a top rank maybe andre berto....

or he could go ahead with the clottey fight after the berto one, if he beats both well then he shouldnt be regarded as a shell, shot or overrated, clottey troubled margarito and berto is a top prospect then a possible rematch, it cant be too hard to do as long as both fighters are up for it since theyre both top rank fighters
roots
or he could go ahead with the clottey fight after the berto one, if he beats both well then he shouldnt be regarded as a shell, shot or overrated, clottey troubled margarito and berto is a top prospect then a possible rematch, it cant be too hard to do as long as both fighters are up for it since theyre both top rank fighters

Yeah clottey is proving to be a good boxer, is he beats judah he will be a hot prospect in the division 4 sure!!
Reply 1170
thank god for the welterweight division, no matter who you beat theres always someone else waiting, fighters exchanging wins and losses and noones a dead cert, you even have former champs hanging around
That fight was incredible for 3 reasons.

1. Margarito's indefatigability and Cotto's blistering skill.

2. The sight of the great Chavez jumping up and down and grinning wildly at seeing the Mexican hero prevail.

3. Seeing Cotto's missus go from having a big, fat, cheesy smile on her gob after round 4 to seeing her in tears when her man got KOd (sadistic, I know, but meh).
That was a great fight. Margarito showed the heart of a champion to come back from what seemed to be a hiding to nothing after 6 rounds to coming home in style.

Cotto was at his superb best at the start and Margarito was also superb. He showed that you can box inside against a world-class counter puncher and win, and win well.
Reply 1173
Cotto is a good fighter, no doubt. But why people lately have suggested Cotto as one the best p4p is purely nonsense. I read something from a boxing magazine the other day which had 4 well known old skool boxers put Cotto above Calzaghe lmfao and Pacquaio lmfao even more!

Margarito is no slouch. PBF would rather have fought Cotto than Margarito. I honestly thought Margarito was going to come out on top.

P4P rankings at the moment has to be:

1) PBF
2) Pacman
2) Calzaghe
3) Marquez (super feather) & the Juan type lol
4) Hopkins
5) Vasquez
6) Cotto
7) Pavlik
8) Hatton
9) Haye
10) John (little fella) - but awesome nonetheless

Pavlik cannot and should not be worlds number 1, simply because he has only fought and won against Jermain Taylor. Calzaghe has beating Kessler, Hopkins, Lacy and retained a belt for 10 years! He doesn't top 5 - and hopefully Hopkins will expose Pavlik later this year (although I don't think he will). But Hopkins deserves to be above Pavlik just due to names alone.

Hatton lost once, that's it. And that was partially due to bad refereeing. He has still beaten many credible names. Haye also, simply because he's so far and away the best 180lb and most likely the best 200lb + out there at the moment.

Cotto has some decent victories. I do dig Zab a lot, but he does have good hand speed. A victory over him is tricky. Victories over Malignaggi and Mosley were also good, hence why I wouldn't put Margarito over him just yet.....
Margarito is the man of the moment in boxing...

His style reminds me of Pavlik's, they are both big strong, forceful, hardhitting fighters!

I really dont know who margarito could fight, because delahoya will be too easy, PBF isnt going to fight him, maybe paul williams!!

Hatton split with his trainer aswell, bit too late in his career to do that is you ask me, but the decisions been made...
Reply 1175
floyds retired, hopkins is too high, margarito 6, cotto 8, no hatton
Reply 1176
I_used_to_love_H.E.R
Margarito is the man of the moment in boxing...

His style reminds me of Pavlik's, they are both big strong, forceful, hardhitting fighters!

I really dont know who margarito could fight, because delahoya will be too easy, PBF isnt going to fight him, maybe paul williams!!

Hatton split with his trainer aswell, bit too late in his career to do that is you ask me, but the decisions been made...

williams 2, santos 3, mosley?? berto, MANDATORIES i think he'll go after the first 2
My 10 would be:

1. Calzaghe

2. The pacman

3. Ricky Hatton - He's only lost once. To arguably one the best fighters in recent history. A lot of scalps and he still is the dominating force at his weight.
4. Vazquez

5. Juan Marquez

6. Rafael Marquez

7. David Haye

Well I give up after that lol. It's tough after that... (not that it's easy before)
Reply 1178
anyone know who the ring welterweight champion is?

margarito or williams?
roots
anyone know who the ring welterweight champion is?

margarito or williams?

It's vacant. Margarito is rated number 1 though.

Latest