Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I just hope Calzaghe doesn't try any of his Hollywood punches he tried before.

Calzaghe to win comfortably, as long as he doesn't show off too much...Manfredo's style of fighting will work in Calzaghe's favour and will be good to watch for all Joe fans

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - agree with Klinsmannic - well done to ITV for bringing this back to terrestial. I have sky sports, but not for long now!

Calzaghe to show boat and get a few hits, but ultimately win. He will say "he's a very tough guy and I underestimated him" blah blah blah.

Enzo to destroy Gunn. I mean - who the heck is he? Enzo could have had Haye - but he opts for crap. You know I'm a Haye supporter

Amir Kahn to beat Bull as well; no surprise.

ReputationRep:
    Kahn seems to box every time there's boxing on ITV!

What time does it start, 9pm?

ReputationRep:
    MANFREDO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOON !!!! w000000000t (early prediction)

ReputationRep:
    He was robbed, well i doubt he wldve won because he wldve found his rhythm late in the match. Freddie Roach's fault for leaving, have to blame something xD
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Disappointing it ended as early as it did, especially as he was stable and weaving just before the stoppage.
    Manfredo knows he isn't in the same class, and did it for experience/(pay day)...

From the Calzaghe POV it would have looked better for Joe if he had knocked him outright as well....but the ref's word is final i guess.

ReputationRep:
    over so fast, pretty lame imo ._.

ReputationRep:
    Calzaghe hardly broke into a sweat!

ReputationRep:
    A potential great night of boxing was all rubbished by nothing more than medicore opponents. I honestly thought the hardest fight would be the Calzaghe / Manfredo fight, and to a degree I was right, as it took him to the 3rd round lol!

Enzo and Gunn was an embarassment. Frank Warren has to do better than that. Amir Kahn and Sheffy Bull - again - Warren has to do better - it's rubbish. Manfredo and Calzaghe was hardly a highlight either.

Warren to stop talking, as he's getting worse than PBF, and start delivering the fights. I'm getting fed up of watching ****.

Calzaghe was always going to win his fight against Manfredo, but it was stopped a little early. Manfredo was using his defence well in parts, moving his head about to avoid the punches being thrown. He was also at fault for just not retailiating, but he should have been warned by the referee about punching back. I feel sorry for him, but Joe is in a different class, and what else do we expect from Frank Warren fights?

Anyway - Amir needs someone like Earl or Murray (maybe too soon), Enzo needs Haye, Bell or Mormeck, and Calzaghe needs Winky Wright, Jermiane Taylor or Hopkins (stuff Kessler). Now that would be a fight night!

ReputationRep:
    About the the two big fights last night.

why did he stop it, fair enough manfredo wasn't doing alot but he was rolling with the punches. calzaghe didn't shock him. lots of punches thrown. most weak.

Amir is always the same. i have no problem with warren taking his time with kahn, he's young, he's got time.

ReputationRep:
    why did he stop it? Manfredo was dead in the water, he was getting massacred, it doesn't matter if he wasn't going to fall down immediately he wouldn't have lasted the round. Like calzaghe said after, another 20 seconds and he was down...probably less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenvY)
    why did he stop it? Manfredo was dead in the water, he was getting massacred, it doesn't matter if he wasn't going to fall down immediately he wouldn't have lasted the round. Like calzaghe said after, another 20 seconds and he was down...probably less.
    lol...no

he was weaving the punches, and his flurry was weak, it's to show off to the judges, not for damage... manfredo wasnt cut or anything, but msot likely he wldve got knocked down in the next round or to. He'll be back though, i hope, with more experience.

im waiting to see Enzo vs Haye wooo what a fight

Taylor will beat calzaghe imo, but i say that abt every1 against calzaghe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T_Bag)
    lol...no

he was weaving the punches, and his flurry was weak, it's to show off to the judges, not for damage... manfredo wasnt cut or anything, but msot likely he wldve got knocked down in the next round or to. He'll be back though, i hope, with more experience.

im waiting to see Enzo vs Haye wooo what a fight

Taylor will beat calzaghe imo, but i say that abt every1 against calzaghe
    "Meanwhile, Calzaghe insisted he had hurt Manfredo, despite admitting that the fight could have been stopped prematurely. "
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/6536599.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    A potential great night of boxing was all rubbished by nothing more than medicore opponents. I honestly thought the hardest fight would be the Calzaghe / Manfredo fight, and to a degree I was right, as it took him to the 3rd round lol!

Enzo and Gunn was an embarassment. Frank Warren has to do better than that. Amir Kahn and Sheffy Bull - again - Warren has to do better - it's rubbish. Manfredo and Calzaghe was hardly a highlight either.

Warren to stop talking, as he's getting worse than PBF, and start delivering the fights. I'm getting fed up of watching ****.

Calzaghe was always going to win his fight against Manfredo, but it was stopped a little early. Manfredo was using his defence well in parts, moving his head about to avoid the punches being thrown. He was also at fault for just not retailiating, but he should have been warned by the referee about punching back. I feel sorry for him, but Joe is in a different class, and what else do we expect from Frank Warren fights?

Anyway - Amir needs someone like Earl or Murray (maybe too soon), Enzo needs Haye, Bell or Mormeck, and Calzaghe needs Winky Wright, Jermiane Taylor or Hopkins (stuff Kessler). Now that would be a fight night!

lol you got it spot on about Gunn. Was quite funny, really: a short fat punch bag against a towering power-puncher...no contest. Manfredo fight was stopped prematurely, poor refereeing imo, but he was always going to lose. My 6th round KO prediction would have been correct :p:.

Also regarding Warren, he's getting really annoying now. He's trying to milk the fighters for every penny. Just give us the fights we want to see. He's destroyed the heavyweight division in this country over the last year or two (actually it was already dead but he's just exhumed it and re-killed it). He's promised Harrison, Sprott, Skelton and Williams world title fights but where are they? The truth is these guys aren't good enough (bar a fit and Danny hungry Danny Williams). He's doing the same with Amir Khan, he's making rubbish fights, Steffy Bull is a joke. Khan is MUCH better than this, and he desrves to be fighting someone of a higher standard. Kevin Mitchell isn't that standard, he talks the talk but all he has really is a lucky left-hook, Khan will stop him. Earl would be a decent match for Khan, but only because he has a heart and chin of steel. Khan is the best lightweight in the country, no doubt. Let him prove it Warren!

Khan challenges domestic rivals

As for Calzaghe, Jermaine Taylor is the way to go. Will be an amazing fight. Both still hungry, both quick, and both show-stopping names. That will be a mega-fight, which Calzaghe is more than capable of winning. I just want to see the same Calzaghe as the one that fought Lacy. Bika was a beast, and Manfredo was just a name...neither have allowed Joe to shine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenvY)
    "Meanwhile, Calzaghe insisted he had hurt Manfredo, despite admitting that the fight could have been stopped prematurely. "
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/6536599.stm
    Your point being? it's boxers speak. posting a quote from the boxer who won is irrelevant. Every boxing gym i've ever trained at everyone is arrogant, it's the way it is, any boxer would always insist they 'hurt' the opposition.

I agree that Calzaghe would have won anyway, but manfredo was rolling with it. no point in ending it that early.

ReputationRep:
    Manfredo was riding the punches well, but he just wasn't retaliating. Joe uses this exposure to end the bout by TKO in a lot of his fights. Like Manfredo stated afterwards "his punches weren't hard; nothing that I've had before, but he's very quick". Joe isn't a puncher, but he's a teriffic boxer - but the fight was a 50/50 stoppage.

Enzo is a puncher; and I have to say, my opinion on him did slightly change, although shouldn't due to the medicore opposition. His punch is devastating, one that will truly knock a 250lb heavyweight to the floor. I can only think of Vitali Klitschko as a harder puncher. But I still prefer Haye's speed, reflex and combination of punchers as well. Haye is no soppy puncher either; anyone remember Gurov in round 1 with the quick one-two? Class.

Oh - did I hear right last night when they said Sheffy Bull was sick from Amir's body punch? Ouch! Must have hurt - seen a few Hatton punches like that.

ReputationRep:
    "The referee should be fined and they can give me the money. He gave Jeff Lacy a beating for 12 rounds, hit him with a million shots and they never even warned him."

True...

ReputationRep:
    Boxing isn't about hitting the other guy hard it's about scoring points by hitting him well. Knockouts are a bonus. Thats why calzaghe is 43-0-0.

Anway fwank warren needs to start bringing some good fights in soon or people will lose patience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fletchinator)
    Boxing isn't about hitting the other guy hard it's about scoring points by hitting him well. Knockouts are a bonus. Thats why calzaghe is 43-0-0.

Anway fwank warren needs to start bringing some good fights in soon or people will lose patience.
    I think boxing is both about banging and scoring points, Ali wouldn't be where the legend he is if he threw chicken punches but scored nicely, everyone wants to see some big hard shots, i know i do...and knockouts are the big thing in this boxing era.

On a new note, boxing gets crowds like 30k, in wales, but for WWE wrestlemania for example, they get 70k, more than double

wow

ReputationRep:
    ^Thats because wrestling draws more than Boxing and is more popular. In addition MMA is rising fast and soon will be far superior to boxing. MMA is fast becoming far more popular than boxing. However I like both MMA and Boxing.

I attended the fight the other week in Cardiff. I travelled over 7 hours just to see Calzaghe live. The atmosphere was awesome and had been building all night. It reached fever pitch as Calzaghe made his way out and the fight got under way. In terms of the early stoppage I agree that it was bull**** and a little too early but there was no way Manfredo was coming back. He was totally outclassed and clearly Joe was on a pedestal compared with him. Manfredo looked intimidated and never looked like causing a threat or damaging Calzaghe and now hopefully Joe goes over to America and gets some big fights going. He really deserves the respect which is finally coming his way.

As for Amir Khan, he is good but it just how good is a different question. Seeing Khan live was pretty great and he has bags full of potential. He punches at lightening speed and looks a really good boxer but to rank him number one (like some are saying) in Britian may be a bit of a stretch, at least untill he steps up a notch and we see how he performs against a more accomplished boxer whom is similar in ability.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 16, 2019
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.