Boxing Watch

One Blood
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
I thought Amir Khan was quite good and yes he did fight alot of bums. I think the problem was he lost the hunger that a boxer needs at the weigh in he was all blinged out with his watches etc...

They deffinatly underestimated Prescott, soon as the fight started andi saw the way Prescot moved i new it didnt look good for Khan.

British media always pumps up its sportsmen way to much.

I have to say comparing him to greats was silly...

Amir Khan is noway on the level of the likes of Prince Naseem
SuperDaz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dr. Arnold Kegel)
Not a valid excuse.

And to think Khan was calling out Manny Pacquaio earlier this year. He would have got knocked out when they touch gloves before the fight.
:toofunny:

I dont think Ramadan is a valid excuse, if he was a professional then he would think about his career ahead of something make believe :confused:
Jooeee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Think Khan's fight was a big anti-climax lol.
e-lover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If he was fasting, what a fool. He could made those days up AFTER the fight.

I never rated Khan. All hype and hopefully he'll get rid of that sleaze-dog Frank Warren. He should go back to training, get some fights with people in his league and in 5 years time try and make it big again.

Also, I get the feeling greed was partly to pay. The family wanted £325,000 for the fight for a boxer who hasn't really proved himself. You get what you deserve. And for Khan that's eating from a straw for the next few months :p:
uzi786
Badges: 9
Report 10 years ago
As much as I like Khan, it seems like he doesn't follow a gameplan, which imo is crucial in the fight game. If you know the guy has KO power, you don't go out and try to brawl with the guy, especially if you have a suspect chin. He was rocked, totally. I mean, he was lost. I'm not holding that against him, any one who's been hit hard enough knows how it shakes up your equilibrium.

I really do like Khan as a fighter, but I always knew the guy had limits, especially since they kinda fed him some lower class opponents. I've never found him to be cocky or arrogant. I mean I'm sure I've always seen him embrace his opponent after the fight. And regarding his speeding/driving offences, he's still young, our age (I'm sure there are some 21 year olds here) and we all make mistakes. If it had been a random rich person we wouldn't use his mistakes against him, he does a lot of good too.

Also, regarding him fasting or not, that can't be an excuse, I mean he shouldn't fight if he's fasting. I train and spar a bit when I fast, but nothing to level of if I wasn't fasting. Fasting shouldn't get in the way of your normal life, but it isn't always that easy.

I really do hope he can come back, and I'm sure he will. But if his biggest problem is his chin, he may have some difficulty coming back, as having a good chin can't always be taught, but you never know. Maybe he needs some new sparring partners, and not be afraid to clocked properly in sparring, not that I have any idea how he trains. Also, regarding the crowd in the arena, cheering for him upon entrance, booing him out the door when the guy loses. That just must be demoralising. I mean come on, it's a fight, there's always a chance it'll end with 15seconds let alone 60 (more MMA then boxing maybe)

Oh yeah, to the guy who was saying all the Indian-Pakistani stuff, you really are an ignorant little person.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Harry_Plonker)
His defensive technique means little to me; he has a glass chin.

Even if he didn't lose this fight, he was going to get knocked out sooner, rather than later. All great boxers in the past decade, Calzaghe, Nas, Hatton, Pacquio, De La Hoya, Margarita, Marquez etc have got to the top because of their ability to take a beating.

You can spend millions on improving his attack/defense, but it counts for zilch when its not backed up by a strong chin. It was just a matter of time, before a proper boxer exploited this, and Prescott did this. Kudo's to him, you can get no where in boxing without a strong chin, it is the foundation of every boxers success. Khan go's down far too easily, and too be honest I see a rematch ending with the same result.

Frank Bruno was the same, but eventually fixed up with a title belt. When he got caught Bruno was very brave and really got punished. But Bruno learnt to get dirty, holding and elbowing. At least Khan has talent, but not last night.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Arka)
Thomas Hearns is considered an all time legend,even though,during his career, he was thought to have a slightly suspect chin.Still,it was granite compared to Amir Khan's.
Prescott reminds me of Hearns. Yeh, Hearns gave arguably the best fight in history with Marvin Hagler who knocked him out spectacularly.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hasan)
I don't watch boxing much but after watching the fight I was shocked at how ridiculous he looked, the way he was stumbling after falling for the first time was scary. I don't get how people can find something like that funny. Or is this kind of thing normal in boxing?
He walked into a punch, he was too impetuous.
Dr. Arnold Kegel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MeAndBubbles)
Prescott reminds me of Hearns. Yeh, Hearns gave arguably the best fight in history with Marvin Hargler who knocked him out spectacularly.
Let's not get crazy now. Hearns was one of the best ever to step in the ring.
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
this chin talk, is it a metaphor or does Khan literally, physically, have a weak pussy of a chin? He's not beefy enough in the face...? He physically can't take punches to the face that well or it's more that he stupidly opens himself up to facial blows...?

explain folks :cool:
jermaindefoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
its just another way of saying his punch resistance is lesser than what the "normal" boxers should be
DavieC
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
He was knocked down by powder puff Willie Limond, and by a past it Gomez.

Fasting didn't cause his glass jaw, and it isn't something that can be cured.

He is never going to be a great boxer, no amount of training is going to help when any guy worth his salt will KO him given half a chance.
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jermaindefoe)
its just another way of saying his punch resistance is lesser than what the "normal" boxers should be
is it possible for him to improve his punch resistance sufficiently enough or is it too late in his career/development to do so?

:confused:

if this is a weakness of his, which many say is, why hasn't this flaw been worked on over the years?

limit your weaknesses, make your strengths as strong as a mofo.
S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's not possible to improve a weak chin, you're born with it. Can't really do anything about your bone structure.

Someone like David Tua, he's only 5'9" but he's big enough to fight at heavyweight and he's got a chin of steel.
The Menace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by white_haired_wizard)
is it possible for him to improve his punch resistance sufficiently enough or is it too late in his career/development to do so?

if this is a weakness of his, which many say is, why hasn't this flaw been worked on over the years?

Unfortunately for Khan it isn't quite that simple.

Punch resistance is not something that can be 'trained'. Yes a fighter can toughen their body to absorb more punishment, but they cannot train their chin. Khan's glass jaw was highlighted against small-time fighters like Limond and Gomez, so there is no way that he will become a top fighter.

What is worse for Khan is that defensively he is very poor, combine that with a weak jaw and you have a recipe for disaster. Even the greatest exponents of defensive boxing like Willie Pep and Floyd Mayweather Jr still had the ability to take a punch from world class opponents. Mayweather took shots from boxers like Gatti, De La Hoya and Hatton, can you imagine Khan lasting against world class fighters if he is getting a taste of the canvas from boxers like Willie Limond?

I'm happy that it's happened now, because otherwise Warren would have pushed a Vegas fight, made his money and Khan would have been embarrassed on a world stage. Its hilarious to see Sky make such a huge mistake too, as their new 'Box Office Golden Boy' gets knocked out in less than 60 seconds of the first round. LMAO.
urbandervish
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spiffy)
No I dont, thats why Im a student and not a sports manager. Instead of turning this personal why dont you come up with a decent arguement as to why Khan really is "all that" and why we should pin our hopes on him other than the fact hes British eh?
Khan has never failed before -he has tried to be, not only an excellent sportsman, but also a good role model for young working~class youth. He seems to genuinely care about his family and attempts to live a decent life.
So I cannot understand what exactly pleases you about Khan's defeat.
If Khan was an inferior althlete, it might be understandable (to a degree) that the public would rejoice to see him defeated- but this is his first real KO, and it will probably be his last for a long term, so seriously does he take his sport.

You would be perfectly entitled to voice your outrage in the strongest terms possible had Khan been a failure from the start, but what peculiar Schadenfreude has roused you to, almost, a spirited rendition of God Save The Queen?

(Original post by Spiffy)
Hah, oh how ive been waiting for this moment to come for sooooo long

Originally Posted by Spiffy
Khan fights for Britain blah blah.

Beckham and Rooney play for England, that fact alone isnt going to stop me from hating every fibre of their being. Just like Kahn, they're overhyped by the media, the general public get their hopes up and then when its all over they realise just how **** they really are.
Arka
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by white_haired_wizard)
Well some of it is technique-the ability to roll with a punch.When he was taking those punches his entire upper body-his torso,neck,skull and jaw- was not acting as a single unit,bending and absorbing the power of the punch.His torso and neck were stiff but his jaw was weak.So basically when he was hit by the final left hook his brain was jammed between his jaw ,connected to his opponents fist, and his stiff neck/torso.Basically,the entire power of the punch was transmitted to the brain of poor Amir.I would guess that this was poor coaching.
I can make an analogy with the safety features in an F1 car- a combination of solid rollcage and crumple zone.In a collision you must have rigidity to protect the fragile driver and at the same time the structures must crumple to absorb the energy and prevent it being transmitted to him.
Arka
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To go with this analogy,Amir Khan is operating an F1 car,with no crumple zones in the body and a structural weakness in the driver's compartment.
The Menace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Arka that is the most pointless, over-complicated explanation I've ever read in my life.

Its very simple, he got his face smashed because he has terrible defence. He got knocked unconscious because his chin is so weak. Simple.
Arka
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Menace)
Arka that is the most pointless, over-complicated explanation I've ever read in my life.
Well I think a boxer can improve his punch taking technique.
Nigel Benn managed learned to do it late in his career.

Its very simple, he got his face smashed because he has terrible defence. He got knocked unconscious because his chis is so weak. Simple.
Elegant and concise. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (293)
26.11%
Yes - they're famous (283)
25.22%
No I don't (546)
48.66%

Watched Threads