The Student Room Group
Reply 1
atz
hey guys, im hopin to do economics at a top uni,either LSE, UCL, Cambridge or warwick/nottingham etc..

jus wondering how important the ums marks that u get are? i mean do u reali need to be getting 90% or would a safe A be ok?

It may help your application, if you are applying with high A's in your AS exams, but the most important thing is to get predicted A grades/achieve A grades. As long as you have that and write a good personal statement and have a good reference you will some offers from top universities. Obviously in your full A-levels it does not matter at all how high your A grade is.
I don't think universities ask for your ums, just predicted grades- so technically it doesn't really matter. AS levels are a good time to get a few extra marks to make sure you get the grades though.
Reply 3
^^ From this year onwards (Year 12 students and any future years), UCAS will ask for your module marks...
Reply 4
We don't really know how important a role UMS marks will play, but suffice to say it'll make a difference as far as admissions into top universities is concerned. Currently the only university that requires you to submit your UMS marks is Cambridge, but that will change beginning this upcoming applications cycle for admission in Sept '07.
Knogle
but that will change beginning this upcoming applications cycle for admission in Sept '07.

Not according to what I heard through someone at the HMC (Headmasters and Headmistress Conference) :smile:

UCAS has stuffed up (for the second year running) what with their now fully electronic integrated system, they (claim - haha!) that they will do the test run next year and the people going for 2008 entry still won't have UMS marks published. Instead, it'll likely be the first year that offers can be made conditional on the basis of modules grades.

By which time, I hope to be loaded and not care too much. Fingers crossed :wink:
Reply 6
President_Ben
Not according to what I heard through someone at the HMC (Headmasters and Headmistress Conference) :smile:

UCAS has stuffed up (for the second year running) what with their now fully electronic integrated system, they (claim - haha!) that they will do the test run next year and the people going for 2008 entry still won't have UMS marks published. Instead, it'll likely be the first year that offers can be made conditional on the basis of modules grades.

By which time, I hope to be loaded and not care too much. Fingers crossed :wink:

Ah, thanks for that tip PB. :smile:

'm sure you'll do well in the IB industry. :gthumb:
Reply 7
yer - cambridge are the only uni that require UMS marks (and even then, by the rules, you don't have to give them, camb just won't give u an offer if you don't..). oxford phoned up my school asking for them and they refused to give them as nobody is obliged to do so. it would've screwed me over with ABBB, but i got in in the end when i did some work..
Reply 8
President_Ben
the people going for 2008 entry still won't have UMS marks published.
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry, just to clarify. When you mean 2008 entry, that's people starting in October 2008?
Reply 9
Sentooran
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry, just to clarify. When you mean 2008 entry, that's people starting in October 2008?

That only makes logical sense, yes. :wink:
In my opinion, your GCSE grades matter more than your UMS. I had high UMS marks at AS level, but was rejected from LSE and UCL because of my GCSE's.

Although obviously the UMS marks do help, I'm saying that theyll value GCSE's higher.
Reply 11
ssssb1
In my opinion, your GCSE grades matter more than your UMS. I had high UMS marks at AS level, but was rejected from LSE and UCL because of my GCSE's.

Although obviously the UMS marks do help, I'm saying that theyll value GCSE's higher.

yes but this year UMS marks wernt put in the UCAS applications. You may have put them in your referenence or PS, but LSE/UCL cant really use them since not eveyone puts down their UMS.
ba_ba1
yes but this year UMS marks wernt put in the UCAS applications. You may have put them in your referenence or PS, but LSE/UCL cant really use them since not eveyone puts down their UMS.

Yeah, maybe, I wouldnt know as I applied last year.
Reply 13
It is not vital but if your referee mentions you got 90+, it would aid your application
Reply 14
anyone know the procedures of next years applicantions regarding ums marks and what not..
Reply 15
I think they are gonna add ur UMS marks on the application from next year
Alex_18
I think they are gonna add ur UMS marks on the application from next year

They won't. Last time I heard.
President_Ben

I know this may sound stupid but when will declaring your UMS marks officially start? :redface:

Thanks! :smile:
Depends on when UCAS sort out their systems. Could be never at this rate. But most likely, 2008 entry.

Latest

Trending

Trending