andreastar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This may be a very silly question... but does anybody know/have a link to a website that explains the grading system? I have no idea what grade 5/6/7/8 etc. Also what does Band C etc stand for?

Any help is appreciated xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The lower the number the higher the grade and pay but people don't generally use numbers for the grades above 5.

In every department the top is the Permanent Secretary. This is the head civil servant in a department and will have his/her own private office like Ministers do.

Then there will be a few Director Generals. These will head up 'groups' of different directorates and have responsibility for the general strategy of a vast policy area.

Each directorate is headed by a Director. This job brings a lot of responsibility and a lot of pressure as you are highly accountable, Directors work long hours and have pressure from Ministers. Once you are at this level you are probably sacrificing salary to stay in the civil service as like for like jobs in the private sector would pay more. A director would probably earn £80-90k but this would be a similar level job to being a partner in a large firm in the private sector, many of whom would earn much more in their total compensation package.

Then within each directorate there are deputy directorates headed by Deputy Directors. This is often called Grade 5 and marks the start of the Senior Civil Service. If you get to Grade 5 you have done well and had a very successful career, and will make important decisions. A Grade 5 will earn about £65-75k a year.

To get above 5 you need to be really special and have a lot of extensive and diverse experience.

Below the Senior Civil Service are Grade 6 and Grade 7. Grade 6 is about £50-60k a year and Grade 7 is about £45-50k a year. This is where most of the graduates on the Fast Stream will end up spending their careers.

After this you go from numbers to letters. The order will be
SEO (Senior executive officer)
HEO (Higher executive officer) - around £25-32k. If you enter in the Fast Stream you come in here.

The vast majority of civil servants are in these grades:
EO (Executive officer) - around £24-26k
AO (Administrative officer) - around £18-22k
AA (Administrative assistant) - around £15-17k

Fast Streamers are supposed to accelerate from HEO to Grade 7 quickly (3/4 years), whereas the climb to Grade 7 outside the fast stream is a long and weary one.
andreastar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Thank you
Lukemath44
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
The lower the number the higher the grade and pay but people don't generally use numbers for the grades above 5.

In every department the top is the Permanent Secretary. This is the head civil servant in a department and will have his/her own private office like Ministers do.

Then there will be a few Director Generals. These will head up 'groups' of different directorates and have responsibility for the general strategy of a vast policy area.

Each directorate is headed by a Director. This job brings a lot of responsibility and a lot of pressure as you are highly accountable, Directors work long hours and have pressure from Ministers. Once you are at this level you are probably sacrificing salary to stay in the civil service as like for like jobs in the private sector would pay more. A director would probably earn £80-90k but this would be a similar level job to being a partner in a large firm in the private sector, many of whom would earn much more in their total compensation package.

Then within each directorate there are deputy directorates headed by Deputy Directors. This is often called Grade 5 and marks the start of the Senior Civil Service. If you get to Grade 5 you have done well and had a very successful career, and will make important decisions. A Grade 5 will earn about £65-75k a year.

To get above 5 you need to be really special and have a lot of extensive and diverse experience.

Below the Senior Civil Service are Grade 6 and Grade 7. Grade 6 is about £50-60k a year and Grade 7 is about £45-50k a year. This is where most of the graduates on the Fast Stream will end up spending their careers.

After this you go from numbers to letters. The order will be
SEO (Senior executive officer)
HEO (Higher executive officer) - around £25-32k. If you enter in the Fast Stream you come in here.

The vast majority of civil servants are in these grades:
EO (Executive officer) - around £24-26k
AO (Administrative officer) - around £18-22k
AA (Administrative assistant) - around £15-17k

Fast Streamers are supposed to accelerate from HEO to Grade 7 quickly (3/4 years), whereas the climb to Grade 7 outside the fast stream is a long and weary one.
So would you say that most fast streamers regardless of experience never exceed grade 6/7 and wont ever earn beyond £60k pa?
obamtl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lukemath44)
So would you say that most fast streamers regardless of experience never exceed grade 6/7 and wont ever earn beyond £60k pa?
Given the number of SCS roles, the number of fast streamers, the length of careers and how long people stay in SCS roles, it’s impossible for most fast streamers to surpass 6/7.

This does not however equate careers plateauing at that level. People move into the private sector too. So you could well see ex fast streamers move from senior management roles in central government to top management roles in other organizations.

The aim of the fast stream is to develop people with the potential to reach top management. Getting to top management is the long term aim, even if the next step after the scheme is a G7 role.
cricketer96
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi everyone!

I am going to be starting a job at the Civil Service in Marsham Street, London as an Executive Officer (EO). Could someone please guide me in regards to the dress code. I was thinking just a suit/shirt without a tie.
obamtl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cricketer96)
Hi everyone!

I am going to be starting a job at the Civil Service in Marsham Street, London as an Executive Officer (EO). Could someone please guide me in regards to the dress code. I was thinking just a suit/shirt without a tie.
Hi there. The building will not necessarily be the deciding factor on how you dress.

It is unlikely there's a universal dress code. It will be down to the nature of the team you are joining.

My team (a Digital Development team) is very casual, so we typically dress in t-shirts, jeans and trainers or whatever shoe we find comfortable, and the grades on the team are relatively senior (SEO, G7, G6 and SCS1). Likewise, there are other teams that dress very formally in suits regardless of grade (for instance, some Policy teams that deal with Ministers).

If you have contact with your new line manager, ask him or her what's appropriate for your team. Failing that, you can ask your HR contact. If there's absolutely no information from either of them, dressing smart (a proper shirt and trousers) should suffice.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lukemath44)
Since Grade 6 salary scales go into the high 60s even out of London then I wouldn't say that

As a 33 year old ex-fast streamer I expect to be on over £60k from next Sept and £70k in five years.
norrigajudel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi im a work for company
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by norrigajudel)
hi im a work for company
Sweet news
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Since Grade 6 salary scales go into the high 60s even out of London then I wouldn't say that

As a 33 year old ex-fast streamer I expect to be on over £60k from next Sept and £70k in five years.
Turns out my pay in fy 17/18 was £62,500 , 18/19 due to be £64k.
Myronchiu
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, as a civil servant myself, I would say a suit/shirt without a tie is sufficient, especially for the meetings. Some people wear casual clothes to work too and people do that more on Fridays.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Myronchiu)
Hi, as a civil servant myself, I would say a suit/shirt without a tie is sufficient, especially for the meetings. Some people wear casual clothes to work too and people do that more on Fridays.
As a civil servant yourself, is there a rule of not answering the question and responding two years after the last contribution?
Myronchiu
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I only came across this website this week and thought it might still be useful for other readers later on.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Myronchiu)
I only came across this website this week and thought it might still be useful for other readers later on.
Anything to say on job grading?
JGoosey2002
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Quady)
Anything to say on job grading?
Sorry to bump this again but would you say ur progression is particularly impressive or is it common to reach grade 5 10/15 years after the fast scheme. Also, does work/life balance get worse once you hit grades 5 and 6? I’d be going for one of the economics or finance schemes if that changes anything in terms of ease of progression or hours worked. Thanks
Last edited by JGoosey2002; 4 weeks ago
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JGoosey2002)
Sorry to bump this again but would you say ur progression is particularly impressive or is it common to reach grade 5 10/15 years after the fast scheme. Also, does work/life balance get worse once you hit grades 5 and 6? I’d be going for one of the economics or finance schemes if that changes anything in terms of ease of progression or hours worked. Thanks
Tricky to say. I think about 20% get there but a lot move out of the civil service into similar level roles in wider public sector/private sector so more like 50/50.

Work/life balance is quite role dependent, but Grade 6 it gets worse and Grade 5 you've basically signed away rights to a work/life balance. Not that you can't have it, just don't expect it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (64)
14.95%
I'm not sure (15)
3.5%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (144)
33.64%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.64%
I'm not a current university student (198)
46.26%

Watched Threads