Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    *those cyclists have an agenda, i'm sure they do...*</bitter pedestrian>
    NO WE DON'T!!!!

Cyclists are the most persecuted road traffic members. All we want to do is get from A to B quickly, get some exercise, and not damage the environment while we're at it. Yes, a few nutters on bikes zoom through red lights, but there is no reason to tar us all with the same brush. The main problem on the road is cars. I have been knocked off my bike three times by idiot car drivers who are too impatient to wait behind a cyclist, and quite blatantly ignore the highway code. Bus drivers are almost as bad, as they seem to think that the cycle lane is reserved for their use too. :mad:

Grrrrrrrr

Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    Also, I would appreciate some insight into choosing accommodation. Do you think it is more important to be close to the department or the college?

Thanks.
    Are you doing undergrad or postgrad? If the latter, I'd suggest nearer the department. Get a bike if you want one, you won't need it, but it might make things quicker.

Hildabeast, I am mostly a pedestrian, and a reluctant cyclist when I have to. The most annoying thing is when they jump red lights, and cycle the wrong way up Trinity Street. When I cycle though sometimes, the sheer stupidity of some of them astounds me - those who will cycle across a crossroads junction when the lights are changing, and traffic is about to come at them from both sides. I met a bunch of idiots doing that the other day; had to swerve in front of a bus to avoid them. It seems clear to me that these people don't have a clue about the highway code, whereas those of us who drive at home (like me) at least know the rudiments and don't do stuff like that.

I do feel a lot more vulnerable on a bike than in a car though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    NO WE DON'T!!!!

Cyclists are the most persecuted road traffic members. All we want to do is get from A to B quickly, get some exercise, and not damage the environment while we're at it. Yes, a few nutters on bikes zoom through red lights, but there is no reason to tar us all with the same brush. The main problem on the road is cars. I have been knocked off my bike three times by idiot car drivers who are too impatient to wait behind a cyclist, and quite blatantly ignore the highway code. Bus drivers are almost as bad, as they seem to think that the cycle lane is reserved for their use too. :mad:

Grrrrrrrr

Rant over.
    I guess that cycling is a lot less safe than here in The Netherlands. Given also that you islanders drive on the left side of the road, I think it would be very sensitive to leave my bike at home!

ReputationRep:
    NO WE DON'T!!!!

Grrrrrrrr

Rant over.

*hides in corner shaking with fear*

ok, so it was a bit of a generalisation, but the number of cyclists who ride straight through the lights by Longwall Street. I constantly fear not making it to Schools with all my toes intact...

ReputationRep:
    To Sarah:
    It's OK. Yes, there are plenty of idiots around the Longwall Street junction. For some reason it attracts them!!!
    I have been knocked off three times, once outside Magdalen and twice at the Cowley/Iffley Road roundabout (which is a complete death-trap). I understand your point completely, but the way car drivers behave at that roundabout is awful; I'm sure they just pretend cyclists don't exist as I have been cut up so many times there.

To Helenia:
    Yes, I know what you mean, but I also drive and I can assure you the drivers round here completely throw the rulebook out of the window when it comes to cyclists.

ReputationRep:
    I have been knocked off three times, once outside Magdalen and twice at the Cowley/Iffley Road roundabout (which is a complete death-trap). I understand your point completely, but the way car drivers behave at that roundabout is awful; I'm sure they just pretend cyclists don't exist as I have been cut up so many times there.
    Wow, that's really bad luck, I'm sorry to hear about it. I've been fortunate enough only to come off my bike a few times in my many years of cycling, and all but one was completely my own fault. I don't think that cycling in Oxford is as bad as has been made out; it is probably one of the most cycle-friendly cities in the country, as lots of road do have cycle lanes marked out (many, indeed, in an aesthetically-questionable lurid green), and there are plenty of off-road cycle lanes. Also cycling is very popular (perhaps forcedly so for locals as the parking in Oxford city centre is limited and, quite rightly, expensive), so there should be some safety in numbers.

ReputationRep:
    i dont ride a bike often in my home town (hardly n e cycle lanes).

are there many cycle lanes in cambridge.. and do ppl really steal bikes in cambridge. i thought cambridge had a low crime rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keithy)
    i dont ride a bike often in my home town (hardly n e cycle lanes).

are there many cycle lanes in cambridge.. and do ppl really steal bikes in cambridge. i thought cambridge had a low crime rate.

Compared to other large towns I think it does, but yes, loads of people steal bikes! There are a lot of cycle lanes although some of them seem to randomly peter out (Hobson Street is a good example.. never sure if I should cycle both ways there)

Radagasty: I know you're doing postgrad so it's best to be as close to the department as possible really. Looking on my map.. I think I'd suggest a bike purely because John's is very central and the area around Madingley/Huntingdon Rds is generally bemoaned by students as being far away (and up 'The Hill' - pathetic little slope really, but in the middle of the fens it stands out!), so if you wanted to get back from the department to college quickly, a bike would be helpful. Bear in mind though that the Cambridge roads are evil (well, they scare me, which is why I'm walking to all my lectures this year!)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Are you at St. John's, out of interest?
    Yes... I am at St. John's, or at least will be this October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Are you doing undergrad or postgrad? If the latter, I'd suggest nearer the department. Get a bike if you want one, you won't need it, but it might make things quicker.
    I'll be doing postgrad, which is why I put as my top preferences the graduate hostels closest to the West Cambridge site. St. John's does have other graduate accommodation in the town centre itself, but I thought it would be a little far from Cavendish.

I hope I won't have to get a bike, because I really do not like riding. I am a reasonably good walker, but I don't know how I'd do in the middle of winter with a blizzard blowing.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Bear in mind though that the Cambridge roads are evil (well, they scare me, which is why I'm walking to all my lectures this year!)...
    Bleh, Madingley road isn't as bad as people make out. Cyclists are allowed to cycle on the pavements and it only gets really hairy after Churchill in the 40 zone.

The junction out of West road onto Grange road must be scary for cyclists if there's a bus wanting to turn in, though.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    I hope I won't have to get a bike, because I really do not like riding. I am a reasonably good walker, but I don't know how I'd do in the middle of winter with a blizzard blowing.
    If you're almost half-way up the Madingley road then it's not going to be much hassle to walk to work, when I get around to going to lecturers I have to walk the entire length of Madingley road.

It was fairly treacherous in the snow this year, but that was more to do with the inch of ice on the pavement. If you're far up enough (past Grange road) if you're lazy you could catch the C8 free bus up there.

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    I am a reasonably good walker, but I don't know how I'd do in the middle of winter with a blizzard blowing.

It's OK, Cambridge doesn't have blizzards - about a inch of snow and everyone goes mad

ReputationRep:
    Yes... I am at St. John's, or at least will be this October.
    Well, welcome to the SBR then! The Madingley Road hostels are quite close enough to the West Cambridge site not to need a bike. The quality of the accomodation is probably the best St. John's offers as well.
    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I've just started as a graduate at St. John's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Radagasty: I know you're doing postgrad so it's best to be as close to the department as possible really. Looking on my map.. I think I'd suggest a bike purely because John's is very central and the area around Madingley/Huntingdon Rds is generally bemoaned by students as being far away (and up 'The Hill' - pathetic little slope really, but in the middle of the fens it stands out!), so if you wanted to get back from the department to college quickly, a bike would be helpful. Bear in mind though that the Cambridge roads are evil (well, they scare me, which is why I'm walking to all my lectures this year!)...
    Thanks for you advice, MadNatSci... I'm glad to hear it because I've applied for accommodation that is closest to my department, which necessarily means it is some distance from my college and the town centre. One of the postdocs here (from Cambridge) strongly advised me to live in the town centre, but I wasn't so sure that would be a good idea.

Do you know how bad it would be to live on Madingley Road itself? I wasn't so keen initially, because I've been warned that it is a major arterial road into Cambridge, and it gets very busy, but most of St John's graduate hostels nearest to Cavendish were on Madingley Rd, so I ended up applying for them.

ReputationRep:
    any cambridge students dont know how to ride a bike ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    any cambridge students dont know how to ride a bike ?
    There are plenty who ride them who apparently don't know how. I'm not particularly good myself, but I avoid it whenever possible.

(Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Your welcome.

I would advise the purchase of this, the rolls royce of mobo karts, the Westminster Freerider:
    its not that funny!
    my mum was seriously going to buy me a mobility scooter for going to uni luckily my legs are quite a lot better now also, i am going to pemboke (grades permitting) to do natsci - oh yes, 1 min walk to departments

did see a girl in cam tho with a supercool bike-***-wheelchair that i was very impressed by

rosiexx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    its not that funny!
    my mum was seriously going to buy me a mobility scooter for going to uni luckily my legs are quite a lot better now also, i am going to pemboke (grades permitting) to do natsci - oh yes, 1 min walk to departments

did see a girl in cam tho with a supercool bike-***-wheelchair that i was very impressed by

rosiexx
    No, seriously I think they are cool

And I have actually sat on the Freerider Westminster beast in the mobility shop in Clitheroe. Oh, it was mighty fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    If you're almost half-way up the Madingley road then it's not going to be much hassle to walk to work, when I get around to going to lecturers I have to walk the entire length of Madingley road.

It was fairly treacherous in the snow this year, but that was more to do with the inch of ice on the pavement. If you're far up enough (past Grange road) if you're lazy you could catch the C8 free bus up there.
    Most of the hostels are clustered around the corner of Grange and Madingley, I think, so not quite half-way up Madingley. Still... it doesn't look like too far a walk.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2004

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.