Turn on thread page Beta

Heya was just wondering if all of u from Oxford (esp LMH) have received your Fresher's Pack already? because friends of mine from Cambridge have their reading lists and scholarship forms already whereas i haven't heard anything since they sent me the offer... Is this unusual?

ReputationRep:
    My offer letter (from St.Anne's) said that they would contact me again in April, however I would imagine each college's timescale may vary slightly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nervous)
    Heya was just wondering if all of u from Oxford (esp LMH) have received your Fresher's Pack already? because friends of mine from Cambridge have their reading lists and scholarship forms already whereas i haven't heard anything since they sent me the offer... Is this unusual?
    Last year I got my fresher's pack sometime after results were released, so it could be quite a while yet!

ReputationRep:
    Pembroke don't send the forms 'til July - a lil while to wait

ReputationRep:
    I got my reading list for maths at Oxford in the post yesterday, so I guess it depends on the college

alrity then - thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I got my reading list on Saturday..
    I think it depends on the college, as Yannis is go to balliol as well..

ReputationRep:
    going to Balliol for maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    going to Balliol for maths?
    was going to apply to do maths n phil , but not anymore...
    it's PPE ...

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of maths and phil. Then I took phil AS got the point, did my maths A-level and Further Maths AS and decided on maths. I don't think phil is my subject. Maths most definitely is though. I used to think I wouldn't last with the maths but the enthusiasm has grown surprisingly well.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here doing Physics at Oxford in 2004? Just wondered if you've been sent any reading lists yet. I haven't accepted offer yet (been trying to decide on insurance) but will be filling in decision letter in next few days and just wondering whether I'll get anything. I seem to remember hearing that we get some maths questions for the summer hols?! Do you think it'll make any difference that I haven't been allocated to a college yet?!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do we get *reading lists*? :: shocks :: I have enough to read anyway! The booklets (course ones) give you lists anyway if you're stuck, and there are of course the maths worksheets for mathmos - on the website if you want them. I'm doing maths/phil, so I'll be reading Frege and Decartes and so on so I don't have to blast through them in Fresher's Week. I would however be very, very surprised if they didn't send anyone doing a mathsy course worksheets, because we forget stuff so fast.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, don't worry about the reading lists they sent. I very stupidly went out and bought all the books on the list and ploughed my way through them, only to find that a) No-one else had read them, and b) They certainly don't expect you to have read all of them. It wasn't really all that helpful anyway. For philosophy I'd say the most important thing is to read through the meditations and look at the objections and replies. Also have a look at Hodges and Sainsbury (or whatever texts they've stipulated this year).

thanx all of u!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Seriously, don't worry about the reading lists they sent. I very stupidly went out and bought all the books on the list and ploughed my way through them, only to find that a) No-one else had read them, and b) They certainly don't expect you to have read all of them. It wasn't really all that helpful anyway. For philosophy I'd say the most important thing is to read through the meditations and look at the objections and replies. Also have a look at Hodges and Sainsbury (or whatever texts they've stipulated this year).
    Totally agree! wait until you get there! Or check availabilty of key texts on OLIS (links all libraries in Oxford, inc books within college.)

http://www.lib.ox.ac.uk/olis/

If your college or one of the big libs have several, I wouldn't bother buying.

fxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    I got my reading list for maths at Oxford in the post yesterday, so I guess it depends on the college

I got an offer from Magdalen for maths and in my scholarship letter they told me I can expect to hear from them in late July/early August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHilL)
    I got an offer from Magdalen for maths and in my scholarship letter they told me I can expect to hear from them in late July/early August.
    YAY! I got my Physics readin list for the summer today from St Hilda's (even though have an open offer) and it's just some maths questions, which don't look too bad at all - just need to learn to work complex numbers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Is anyone here doing Physics at Oxford in 2004? Just wondered if you've been sent any reading lists yet. I haven't accepted offer yet (been trying to decide on insurance) but will be filling in decision letter in next few days and just wondering whether I'll get anything. I seem to remember hearing that we get some maths questions for the summer hols?! Do you think it'll make any difference that I haven't been allocated to a college yet?!

Thanks
    The physics undergraduate handbook, which can be found here, contains a very broad list on recommended text books (see page 21).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by way2go)
    The physics undergraduate handbook, which can be found here, contains a very broad list on recommended text books (see page 21).
    Thanks! it looks really useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Thanks! it looks really useful!
    Anytime.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.