The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
happysunshine
Prisoners have been stripped of their voting rights, but should this be changed? Isn't it good that prisoners have a political interest? Is it okay that prisoners don't have any rights? Would politicians have to make prison better in order to win votes?

You can read more here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3523231.stm

Yes prisoners should have the right to vote, our justice system is not soley built upon punishment (removal of right to freedom) but also on rehablitation, by isolating prisoners from society even more and not allowing them a say on what affects them will make it even harder for future intergration into society.

Removal of the right to vote only has bad consequences on the prisoner and for society as a whole.

We also must remember that a politician is elected to serve the people, and if prisoners cannot vote then the legitmacy of the politicians is lessened and it leads to even less of a democratic society.
Reply 2
Absolutely not! And while we're at it, let's stop women and anyone who looks 'a bit foreign' from voting as well!
Reply 3
Mr White
Absolutely not! And while we're at it, let's stop women and anyone who looks 'a bit foreign' from voting as well!

:rolleyes: I can't tell which bits are your true opinions.
Reply 4
Mr White

That counts you out.
Reply 5
happysunshine
:rolleyes: I can't tell which bits are your true opinions.

Most people have learned by now that very few things I say are actually serious.
Reply 6
Only the TAX Payer should be able to vote. We fund the country we should be the ones who makes the choices.
Reply 7
NO the should not be able to vote!!
They gave their rights up when they broke the law. They should be locked up without any communication with the outside world. They have shown that they cannot behave in the world so they belong in jail. Therefore they should have no influence on the voting which in turn could affect us. If i thought the voting result had affected me in some way that and the reason was because of law breakers i would not be happy!!!!!
Reply 8
ToshTrent
Only the TAX Payer should be able to vote. We fund the country we should be the ones who makes the choices.

I agree.
Reply 9
If we take it that society forms a contract with an individual and is the sole giver of rights then surley if a prisoner attempts to undermine the state and indeed seeks to break his half of the contract then he surrenders all the rights we accord citizens who do fulfil thier contractual obligations ( follow the law).

We take their freedom is there a logical argument against extending this to voting rights?
Reply 10
corey
Yes prisoners should have the right to vote, our justice system is not soley built upon punishment (removal of right to freedom) but also on rehablitation, by isolating prisoners from society even more and not allowing them a say on what affects them will make it even harder for future intergration into society.

Removal of the right to vote only has bad consequences on the prisoner and for society as a whole.

We also must remember that a politician is elected to serve the people, and if prisoners cannot vote then the legitmacy of the politicians is lessened and it leads to even less of a democratic society.

I disagree. Our criminal justice system was founded on the bedrock principle of punishment. It's only really since the 60's that we have found ourselves concerned with "rehabilitation"

I think when you commit a crime of such seriousness that it results in incarcration you should rightly expect to give up some of your rights for than time period.
Reply 11
perhaps it depends on what you are in for?
Reply 12
if you are in prison you aren't in "normal" society are you, so I guess they shouldn't have the rigtht to vote - especaily as they are being punished. They are isolated from the community so I doubt they'd really care about their right to vote anyway!

Think the EU would bash on about Human Rights violations if they had their right to vote withdrawn tho.
Reply 13
riffraff
perhaps it depends on what you are in for?

Maybe. There must surely be a difference between murder and intent to defraud, both of which will get you locked up.
Reply 14
Britain and Luxembourg are the only European countries where all prisoners are completely disallowed the vote. France and Germany have a system whereby the judge decides whether they should be allowed to vote upon sentencing, which is probably a good way of doing it. But really, break the law, why should you be able have a say on anything. If you've only committed a small crime you'll probably be out by an election anyway due to a short sentence :smile:
Reply 15
piginapoke
The only rights prisoners should have in my view is basic human rights.

Basic human rights? What does this include??
Reply 16
Amb1
Basic human rights? What does this include??

Bread and water.
Reply 17
As long as they don't form the majority of people voting....
In that case it would be... :rolleyes:
Reply 18
piginapoke
Being fed, watered, having basic health care, having a bed to sleep on, somewhere to get washed and access to a lawer in my book. No colour TVs and DVD players :wink:

There's a lawyer in your book?! :wink: Doesn't it annoy you though that they get fed/watered and cared for without having to pay for it?
Reply 19
corey
Yes prisoners should have the right to vote, our justice system is not soley built upon punishment (removal of right to freedom) but also on rehablitation,

but the right to vote is a privilege of participating in society. they should be punished as such.

by isolating prisoners from society even more and not allowing them a say on what affects them will make it even harder for future intergration into society.

they sacrificed this when they committed an offence.

whatever. remind me not to visit ur crime ridden state. prisoners must learn that if they want to participate fully in society and enjoy its privileges, they must also expect to abide by its codes of conduct.

Latest

Trending

Trending