Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all I am in a bit of a pickle and was wondering if anyone could help. Ive got offeres to study maths at Warwick, Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol etc and out of them i am drawn mostly to Warwick and Cambridge. My problem is that i liked warwick a lot more than cambridge and it looks like a really good place that i would prefer to study in - So do you think it would be stupid to decline cambridges offer or would i regret it? Is there actually much difference between them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    Hey all I am in a bit of a pickle and was wondering if anyone could help. Ive got offeres to study maths at Warwick, Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol etc and out of them i am drawn mostly to Warwick and Cambridge. My problem is that i liked warwick a lot more than cambridge and it looks like a really good place that i would prefer to study in - So do you think it would be stupid to decline cambridges offer or would i regret it? Is there actually much difference between them?
    Some would say it was stupid to decline an offer from Cambridge but if you don't want to study there as much as somewhere else than what's the point of choosing Cambridge? It sounds like you've already made your mind up anyway but if you haven't you'll have to decide between prestige and personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    depends what you want out of your degree

the Cambridge degree will be harder work, but will have more prestige

if you get a good degree from Warwick then most windows of opportunity will still be open

make sure, that if you turn down Cambridge, it is for the right reasons - don't turn it down just to be rebellious or something like that

I'd visit Cambridge again, have a good look around - find out where you'd be living and studying, then make your mind up.

ReputationRep:
    The only rational reason I can see for choosing Warwick over Cambridge would be laziness, which although being rational is certainly not admirable. On objective measures, not just academic but also things like pastoral care and the cost of your degree, Cambridge will win all round. Why do you have some preference for Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    If you got a good Maths degree from Warwick, I can't imagine having any problems job wise. It's still a great University. Just don't rush into the decision, maybe have another look around both.

ReputationRep:
    If it's Warwick you prefer then chose Warwick! It would be stupid to chose somewhere you like less just so you can say "I go to Cambridge". You're going to have to spend three years of your life there so make sure you will be happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    The only rational reason I can see for choosing Warwick over Cambridge would be laziness
    :rolleyes: There are plenty of other reasons why somebody might not chose Cambridge. You can do perfectly fine in life without going to Oxbridge you know.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is often thought to be on par with cambridge as far as mathematics is concerned, and I actually know someone who turned down cambridge for warwick. Have a look at the course, the reason he chose warwick was that he felt there was too much theoretical physics in the course at cambridge, and he prefered pure. Also worth thinking about is the career you wish to persue; for soemthing like investment banking, which is very competitive, a cambridge degree will be massively helpful, however if you wish to engage in mathematical research, warwick could be just as good; you could always do a masters at cam.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Why did you apply to cambridge? Was it to GO there or to SEE if you could go there?

Anyway, I'd go for warwick if I were you. Plenty of people could potentially have gone to cambridge / oxford but didn't even apply because it didn't suit them.. You're just saying that at a later stage. And if you wanted to be able to say "i go to cambridge" it might be even better to say "i turned cambridge down".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    :rolleyes: There are plenty of other reasons why somebody might not chose Cambridge. You can do perfectly fine in life without going to Oxbridge you know.
    Give some examples then. The Cambridge Maths course seems to have the reputation the best in the world, and the OP should be clever enough for it as he was given an offer. While the Warwick course may be just as rigorous, it still will not have the same reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionah)
    And if you wanted to be able to say "i go to cambridge" it might be even better to say "i turned cambridge down".
    Hehe

ReputationRep:
    Give some examples then. The Cambridge Maths course seems to have the reputation the best in the world, and the OP should be clever enough for it. While the Warwick course may be just as rigorous, it still will not have the same reputation.
    They might like the course content better, they might like the campus better, they might want to stay closer to home, they might realise that reputation is not the only reason to choose a university, they might just get a better feeling about the other university.

Choosing a University is a very personal decision, and you shouldn't have to feel pressurised into choosing Cambridge just because it's Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    They might like the course content better, they might like the campus better, they might want to stay closer to home, they might realise that reputation is not the only reason to choose a university, they might just get a better feeling about the other university.

Choosing a University is a very personal decision, and you shouldn't have to feel pressurised into choosing Cambridge just because it's Cambridge.
    There is something in your argument. I did say objective reasons, but I admit this may have been cheating on my part because, as you say, choosing a uni has to include subjective feelings. But I would definitely maintain that a most people who turn down Oxbridge will regret it -- certainly everyone I've met who has regrets it (admittedly only two people, but still). And I would also say that as Oxbridge is the intellectual pinnacle of universities someone should choose Cambridge simply because it's Cambridge.

It'd be interesting to hear Phil's reasons for a preference for Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    There is something in your argument. I did say objective reasons, but I admit this may have been cheating on my part because, as you say, choosing a uni has to include subjective feelings. But I would definitely maintain that a most people who turn down Oxbridge will regret it -- certainly everyone I've met who has regrets it (admittedly only two people, but still).

It'd be interesting to hear Phil's reasons for a preference for Warwick.
    Well to be honest, I'd probably never turn down Cambridge for Warwick, but hey, if everybody was the same then the world would be a boring place

ReputationRep:
    what's all this about cambridge reputation and job opportunities? warwick is a great university and if you think you're gonna be happier in warwick then go choose warwick. ok, cambridge is better for getting a good job but who says warwick won't help you do that?... at the end of the day it's whatever makes you happiest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    Warwick is often thought to be on par with cambridge as far as mathematics is concerned, and I actually know someone who turned down cambridge for warwick. Have a look at the course, the reason he chose warwick was that he felt there was too much theoretical physics in the course at cambridge, and he prefered pure. Also worth thinking about is the career you wish to persue; for soemthing like investment banking, which is very competitive, a cambridge degree will be massively helpful, however if you wish to engage in mathematical research, warwick could be just as good; you could always do a masters at cam.

Hope this helps
    The first year at Cambridge will be very structured, but broad. Its also necessary to give a good grounding for the following years. In the second year, you'll have about 15-20 courses from which you can choose 8 or so. In the third year, you have even more choice. In the third year, quite a few people choose only pure courses, so you do have that choice.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds quite naff but it was mostly the 'vibe' of the place. When I visited warwick i really felt that this would be a place i would enjoy living/studying in for 3/4 years, but i dont think i could say the same about cambridge. Also although cambridge is said to be academically better, what exactly does thisa mean? Certainly harder, and i am scared that it will be way too hard and i will not srvive my time there or at least not enjoy it much. I applied to cam becasue my teacher said i had a decent chance of getting in and i thought i might as well. The main attractors to cam for me are the reputation and for waraick the people, the feel of the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rutera)
    what's all this about cambridge reputation and job opportunities? warwick is a great university and if you think you're gonna be happier in warwick then go choose warwick. ok, cambridge is better for getting a good job
    I think you answered your question there...

ReputationRep:
    Warwick's maths department is one of the best in the UK. I'd say there are 4 institution that r v.good at maths and they r Oxbridge , Warwick and Imperial..so In terms of teaching and research warwicks up there BUT No UNI can beat Cambridge at maths.
    IF i were u, i'd go to Cambridge.I'd study there for the 1st yr and if i didn't like it, i'd change to warwick. In this way u haven't lost anything, u'd still be able to spend at least 3 yrs at warwick and U have studied Maths and Cambridge.
    I'd be easier to change from cambridge to warwick rather than Warwick to cambridge!
    My freind who studied maths at UCL for his 1st yr did that and now he 's doing his 2nd yr at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds quite naff but it was mostly the 'vibe' of the place. When I visited warwick i really felt that this would be a place i would enjoy living/studying in for 3/4 years, but i dont think i could say the same about cambridge. Also although cambridge is said to be academically better, what exactly does thisa mean? Certainly harder, and i am scared that it will be way too hard and i will not srvive my time there or at least not enjoy it much. I applied to cam becasue my teacher said i had a decent chance of getting in and i thought i might as well. The main attractors to cam for me are the reputation and for waraick the people, the feel of the place.
    Go for Warwick then. It's still a top ten univeristy with great reputation for Maths, and in the long run I don't think you'd end up any worse off.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 8, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.