Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you all think of the ban on wearing religious symbols in France?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    wouldnt affect me

ReputationRep:
    is it all kind of religious symbols?

ReputationRep:
    oh come on!....i need some more stuff to write about!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    is it all kind of religious symbols?
    yes...!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's okay.

They've banned religoius dressing in schools and again I think that's a good idea. Different religions only cause seperation and conflict when mixed together.

But I think it's fine to act religious privately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I think it's okay.

They've banned religoius dressing in schools and again I think that's a good idea. Different religions only cause seperation and conflict when mixed together.

But I think it's fine to act religious privately.
    One would think that people from different religions and cultures should be able to study peacefully, irrelevant of religious symbols that they might be wearing.

Religious symbols may also be an integral part of a person religion and may mean a lot to them while it barely effects other people

ReputationRep:
    Do you also mean wearing religous head garments?

ReputationRep:
    Banning paraphernalia to express religious enthusiasm, such as a cross or a star of David hung from the neck via a chain, seems to be a good idea. As an atheist I can see why some people could see this as provocative. However, banning religious items of clothing that people feel it is necessary to wear to follow their religion correctly, such as the various forms of head-dress, is just narrow-minded and unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhino)
    One would think that people from different religions and cultures should be able to study peacefully, irrelevant of religious symbols that they might be wearing.

Religious symbols may also be an integral part of a person religion and may mean a lot to them while it barely effects other people
    You would think so but you and I know this isn't true. If a few people at schools I know of came dressed in the traditional muslim dress they would get 'paki' and comments like that shouted at them everyday. And I'm sure this is the same for the people who don't wear the same religious clothes as the majority of people. That's not to say don't wear what you want but when you wear it for religious purposes only it causes problems.

I appreciate that religious symbols may mean a lot to someone but for their own safety and socially they will be better off not expressing this is public places.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate that religious symbols may mean a lot to someone but for their own safety and socially they will be better off not expressing this is public places.
    Maybe so, but should we deny them their personal liberties because of this?

ReputationRep:
    I have a St Omer's cross on my school tie, this is quite amusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    But we aren't really are we? I'm not saying no to religions just that it's in the interest of everyone to keep religion a more private thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I have a St Omer's cross on my school tie, this is quite amusing
    You and that school of yours! How can anyone be so proud of their school that they keep their tie?

What's St Omer's?

ReputationRep:
    french government is racist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    french government is racist
    Yes, very true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    don't you think the that internet censorhip and such like, are more of an infringement on personal liberties?

ReputationRep:
    But we aren't really are we? I'm not saying no to religions just that it's in the interest of everyone to keep religion a more private thing.
    Why? It's congruent to asking a homosexual to keep their sexuality to themselves, or for a football supporter not to wear their team shirt!

ReputationRep:
    don't you think the that internet censorhip and such like, are more of an infringement on personal liberties?
    No. They have little relevance to real life.

...and it's not the point.

ReputationRep:
    You and that school of yours! How can anyone be so proud of their school that they keep their tie?

What's St Omer's?

Well i'm not that proud some very bad things have happend at the school in the past.

My school was founded in St Omer, France back in the day, its just a nmae of the house I was in. I just find it amusing because St Omer is French.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.