Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Why? It's congruent to asking a homosexual to keep their sexuality to themselves, or for a football supporter not to wear their team shirt!
    Dressing gay or wearing a team shirt is open to any religion. Dressing religious excludes and causes conflict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Well i'm not that proud some very bad things have happend at the school in the past.

My school was founded in St Omer, France back in the day, its just a nmae of the house I was in. I just find it amusing because St Omer is French.
    Like what? Anything worth me knowing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Dressing gay or wearing a team shirt is open to any religion. Dressing religious excludes and causes conflict.
    No it doesn't. Just because some lunatics ploughed into a building and America divided the world by invading a third-world country - why should personal liberties be given up?

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't. Just because some lunatics ploughed into a building and America divided the world by invading a third-world country - why should personal liberties be given up?
    very true, have some rep.

ReputationRep:
    Like what? Anything worth me knowing?
    Like it says at the top, it is rather sickening, and I went in that tree house.

http://www.polfed.org/magazine/05_20...2002_libel.htm

ReputationRep:
    But they are not. It's just school/work, what does religion have to do with school/work? Nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Like it says at the top, it is rather sickening, and I went in that tree house.

http://www.polfed.org/magazine/05_20...2002_libel.htm
    Ooh now that isn't something you'd expect to see :mad: Are all the staff male?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh now that isn't something you'd expect to see :mad: Are all the staff male?
    In the past yes, but now there are lots of lay people who teach there.

ReputationRep:
    In the past yes, but now there are lots of lay people who teach there.
    Good Why do I imagine it to be like Hogwarts? God knows.

ReputationRep:
    But they are not. It's just school/work, what does religion have to do with school/work? Nothing.
    I'll tell you - for those who are adherents to whatever faith, that faith is not a practice in isolation. It is part of their whole life and being - whatever they do, they do in the name of their God. That includes their attitude to school, work, play, relationships. You cannot isolate something that is intrinsic to your reason for being from any part of your life.
    Read and try to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I'll tell you - for those who are adherents to whatever faith, that faith is not a practice in isolation. It is part of their whole life and being - whatever they do, they do in the name of their God. That includes their attitude to school, work, play, relationships. You cannot isolate something that is intrinsic to your reason for being from any part of your life.

and to the french, they see secularism as the same way you see faith...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    I know and when I was writing that I felt insensitive.

ReputationRep:
    If you need the information for a french presentation, I have plenty of stuff which I could send you.

ReputationRep:
    I was actually arguing that the ban was not a big deal the other day, but a teacher pointed out an analogy which I thought was pretty effective. Girls don't wear headscarfs as religious imagery, they do it because they feel it gives them a degree of modesty or dignity. People have a human right to modesty surely? It's like forcing girls to wear short skirts, or boys to take their trousers off. It's grossly infringing on their human rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    If you need the information for a french presentation, I have plenty of stuff which I could send you.
    Mark please send your information asap to me...

thank...i also sent you a private message in case you didnt get this.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon that the french were right to ban the religious symbols. Although the muslims might get annoyed, saying that their ability to practice their religion is being impaired, and therefore it is a racist law, why should muslims be allowed to parade around thei religion when other religions are not allowed to do so in muslim states. They should have a taste of supression for once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I reckon that the french were right to ban the religious symbols. Although the muslims might get annoyed, saying that their ability to practice their religion is being impaired, and therefore it is a racist law, why should muslims be allowed to parade around thei religion when other religions are not allowed to do so in muslim states. They should have a taste of supression for once.
    Yes that's a perfectly healthy way to look at personal rights legislation, "give them a taste of their own medicine." "two wrongs make a right." There's just so many things wrong with what you just said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    french government is racist
    The French government would have been far more racist under the rule of Le Pen if he had been voted into power back in 2002, he wanted to expulsate all muslim, asian and african immigrants from France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    The French government would have been far more racist under the rule of Le Pen if he had been voted into power back in 2002, he wanted to expulsate all muslim, asian and african immigrants from France.
    Ya I did a project on the resurgence of the extreme right in Europe and Le Pen, but i don't see anything wrong with banning the head wear. France has the right to make any laws that the public see fit and I am glad that there is still one country that dosnt care about political correctness. I know in Canada its ******** we let muslims wear the full head and face cover on driver licences and passports, how stupid is that but then again we let everyone in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    What do you all think of the ban on wearing religious symbols in France?
    The bloody racism everywhere grates on my nerves, that´s all I can say I´m afraid... intolerance seems to grow in Europe.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.