Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If anyone isnt happy in a particular country they try to take over, they are free to leave it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmong)
    wearing all these rags seems a bit pointless i mean if you are religious then as long as you know that it shouldnt really matter, i think that people only wear the rags because of tradition anf this should change. dont call me a racist but whenever i see people who cover their face in the streets like aninja i try to avoid them as i dont know if they are terrorist but i have now realised that i have missed the point

wearing the sheets and symbols is pointless and maybe even fashion because people like the celebs wear the cross etc only for fashion and someone who is actually a christian for example may feel jealous for not having the diamonds etc
    If you only knew the meaning of wearing these so called 'rags' that these 'ninjas' wear, then you'd actually have a little decency in you, at the moment i fail to see any,

'try to avoid them as i dont know if they are terrorist'

lol, you're cracking me up now, if only there were more 'ninjas' i'd love to see you run lolzzzzzz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmong)
    wearing all these rags seems a bit pointless i mean if you are religious then as long as you know that it shouldnt really matter, i think that people only wear the rags because of tradition anf this should change. dont call me a racist but whenever i see people who cover their face in the streets like aninja i try to avoid them as i dont know if they are terrorist but i have now realised that i have missed the point

I'm going to go right ahead and do what you told me not to - you're a racist.

(Original post by vmong)
    wearing the sheets and symbols is pointless and maybe even fashion because people like the celebs wear the cross etc only for fashion and someone who is actually a christian for example may feel jealous for not having the diamonds etc
    Any real Christian would not feel jealous because they didn't have diamonds.
    Also, while wearing a nice piece of jewellery could be purely fashion for some, it is unlikely a veil would be used in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    I think that religious items shouldn't be allowed in schools which have a uniform because it kind of goes against one of the reasons that many schools have them to try and reduce bullying. However I don't see the problem with people wearing religious clothing in schools with no uniform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maddock)
    Of course it was a good idea to ban them - and they should have never been allowed in the first place anyway for schools that require uniforms.
    Could I just make up my own religion, which requires wearing a cowboy hat and hawaiian shirt at all times, and expect to be allowed to do that in a school which requires uniform? Of course not, and muslims/christian/whatever shouldn't expect to be able to wear what they want to as well, since nothing dictates that their religions are any more proper than mine.
    French schools don't have uniforms. Which means that now a muslim girl can't wear a headscarf but a non muslim can.

I'm an aetheist but I don't care what people wear. I do object to being preached at on the street and having to listen to religeous music in shops at certain times of year. I object to this because it is forcing me to hear something I believe is wrong. I believe it is wrong to force someone to wear a religeous symbol (the yellow stars in Nazi occupied Europe) and it is also wrong to force someone not to wear it.

I don't mind if someone wears a headscarf, a wig, a cross or whatever. I object to anyone telling me what I should believe in.

Anyway has the french government stopped nuns from wearing their habits in public? Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    French schools don't have uniforms. Which means that now a muslim girl can't wear a headscarf but a non muslim can.

I'm an aetheist but I don't care what people wear. I do object to being preached at on the street and having to listen to religeous music in shops at certain times of year. I object to this because it is forcing me to hear something I believe is wrong. I believe it is wrong to force someone to wear a religeous symbol (the yellow stars in Nazi occupied Europe) and it is also wrong to force someone not to wear it.

I don't mind if someone wears a headscarf, a wig, a cross or whatever. I object to anyone telling me what I should believe in.

Anyway has the french government stopped nuns from wearing their habits in public? Anyone know?
    But if a non-moslem wears a headscarf it's not worn as a religious symbol is it? What you say is true but quite honestly how many non-moslems want to wear head moslem looking head scarves. It's not exactly in vogue is it?

Your point about nun's clothing is daft. The reason behind banning religious symbolism in schools is France's constitutional separation of church and state. I don't see how this applies to nuns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    But if a non-moslem wears a headscarf it's not worn as a religious symbol is it? What you say is true but quite honestly how many non-moslems want to wear head moslem looking head scarves. It's not exactly in vogue is it?

Your point about nun's clothing is daft. The reason behind banning religious symbolism in schools is France's constitutional separation of church and state. I don't see how this applies to nuns.
    Because muslim women have been banned from wearing clothing that indicates their faith. If nun's havn't then the french government is being inconsistent to say the least. Or are you thinking that nun's don't attend school? well a lot of them teach in schools.

As for wearing a 'muslim looking headscarf' or a perhaps a hajib, I'd be quite tempted to wear one in france just to see what reaction it got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Because muslim women have been banned from wearing clothing that indicates their faith. If nun's havn't then the french government is being inconsistent to say the least. Or are you thinking that nun's don't attend school? well a lot of them teach in schools.

Private schools. Not state schools.

As for wearing a 'muslim looking headscarf' or a perhaps a hajib, I'd be quite tempted to wear one in france just to see what reaction it got.
    Well, unless you were a moslem I'd think everyone would think you are a fuc*in idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Howard, you have such a way with words

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Thank you Howard, you have such a way with words
    It's taken me years to reach this level of eloquence.

ReputationRep:
    Well it is years of practice well spent. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Well it is years of practice well spent. :rolleyes:
    I've had plenty of idiots to practice on

ReputationRep:
    yeah i guess i am being a racist its just taht im young and immature sorry if i did offend anyone i am sorry

just a poing i was wondering if these "rags" as i called them before was just to cover up the body before they were married? and they just wear normal clothes after they are married. my friends mum is a muslim and she dresses normally by this i mean trousers, shirt etc baby gal please educate me and tell me what the "rags" mean please

ReputationRep:
    Just a thought, do sikhs now have to cut their hair in french schools? I know long hair isn't a piece of clothing but it is a religious symbol. Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    just out of curiosity y has the whole french banning thing concentrated on the muslim headscarf?? afterall there are other religious symbols.

also does nebody ever c this hapnin in england??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaq)
    just out of curiosity y has the whole french banning thing concentrated on the muslim headscarf?? afterall there are other religious symbols.

also does nebody ever c this hapnin in england??
    Because to start with they were just going to ban headscarves, then someone pointed out this could be seen as racist so they amended it.

the french gov is not taking religious sentiments in view.
    they should take it & if they not there would not B meaning of democracy!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for coming in late on this one folks, but.......

Stopping people expressing themselves and what they believe (when done in a manner that hurts no-one) is called fashism. Anyone remember it? Why should these people have secularism shoved down their throat?

It seems to me that most folk are so insecure in their own beliefs that they get freaked out by anyone stating anything solid and think they're having a go at them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uncledougsie)
    Apologies for coming in late on this one folks, but.......

Stopping people expressing themselves and what they believe (when done in a manner that hurts no-one) is called fashism. Anyone remember it? Why should these people have secularism shoved down their throat?
    Erm......because France is a secular state? And do you mean fascism or fashion? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i think it is such a good idea.. religion should have nothing to do with education, and you shouldnt be able to place a person in a certain group just by looking at them (eg head turban thing..nice technical term there!!).. there must be so much bullying in the uk due to religious violence etc..

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.