Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As A Foreigner ( France ) , Nobody Is Perfect ! , I Cannot Imagine London Streets Without The Famous Routemasters . I Last Read In A Web Article That They All Should Be Withdrawn From London Streets By 2005 !!
    How Come Is It Possible ? Please Do Your Best To Prevent Such A Crime !! London Will No Longer Be London If These Wonderful Buses Are Removed From Its Beautiful Streets
    A Sad Guy After Reading Such An Article
    Pascal From Paris

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LANGLOIS)
    As A Foreigner ( France ) , Nobody Is Perfect ! , I Cannot Imagine London Streets Without The Famous Routemasters . I Last Read In A Web Article That They All Should Be Withdrawn From London Streets By 2005 !!
    How Come Is It Possible ? Please Do Your Best To Prevent Such A Crime !! London Will No Longer Be London If These Wonderful Buses Are Removed From Its Beautiful Streets
    Pascal From Paris
    :confused: are you ok?

ReputationRep:
    i'm gonna miss the 390 routemasters.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LANGLOIS)
    Pascal From Paris
    Erm yes those buses do have a certain charm, they can them in Manchester about ten years ago on the 42 route but they decided it costs to me much they went back to the newer 'atlantian' style buses.

The problem is those route masters cost a lot to run due to the the fact they require a conductor, also they are very very uncomfortable. They do have a charm though that is sadlly lacking in buses.

The worst buses ever are the Olympian style ones, however the new Denis ALX330 style buses are actuially quite charectoristic. I love them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Erm yes those buses do have a certain charm, they can them in Manchester about ten years ago on the 42 route but they decided it costs to me much they went back to the newer 'atlantian' style buses.

The problem is those route masters cost a lot to run due to the the fact they require a conductor, also they are very very uncomfortable. They do have a charm though that is sadlly lacking in buses.

The worst buses ever are the Olympian style ones, however the new Denis ALX330 style buses are actuially quite charectoristic. I love them.
    The worst busses are those long single deck ones with the corrugated rubber in the middle. They look so sh*te

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    The worst busses are those long single deck ones with the corrugated rubber in the middle. They look so sh*te
    They're also quite dodgy as well. I think two of them have been burnt out in the past four months. The routemasters have been going for forty odd years and it hasn't happened once!

They don't make 'em like they used too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    They're also quite dodgy as well. I think two of them have been burnt out in the past four months. The routemasters have been going for forty odd years and it hasn't happened once!

They don't make 'em like they used too...
    Nope but the route masters have had new engines. However in Manchester stagecoach run a lot of 1984 Leyland Olympains under the name of Magic Bus. They still running very well considering their age.

Did you know the cost of a brand new double decker bus is £180k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Nope but the route masters have had new engines. However in Manchester stagecoach run a lot of 1984 Leyland Olympains under the name of Magic Bus. They still running very well considering their age.

Did you know the cost of a brand new double decker bus is £180k?
    Christ thats a lot *Thinks about having 180k* Mmmmm.

And to think Red Ken is massively increasing bus numbers in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    Christ thats a lot *Thinks about having 180k* Mmmmm.

And to think Red Ken is massively increasing bus numbers in London.
    Yeah it works though. Where I live the buses are every 2 minutes so even people with cars always get the bus to the city centre as its much quicker and cheaper. If anybody wants to really know what a good bus service is then go down to Oxford Road in Manchester, its Europe's biggest bus route and their is a bus quite literly every 20 seconds, I am not joking. Its not uncommon for 6 buses to in a row all next to each other operating on the same service.

The reason for this is Manchester has more students than any where else in Europe per 1km and we have no underground system which is somthing that we needed really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    i'm gonna miss the 390 routemasters.

MB
    73 routemasters are the best ;p

and theyre not uncomfortable! theyre much better than those moulded plastic crap seats

SAVE THE 73!

ReputationRep:
    I've just got back from Edinburgh and they have loads of AEC Routemasters in their operating as tour buses. Most of them are the late 1950's very early 60's models too. The newest one I was was a 1965 D REG one.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.