Turn on thread page Beta

Cynthia Mckinney. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What are people's thoughts on this matter?

ReputationRep:
    this is her altercation?
    i dont think shes the type of person to cause trouble, she is being smeared politically out of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam83)
    this is her altercation?
    i dont think shes the type of person to cause trouble, she is being smeared politically out of it
    So she is entitled to hit a police officer?

ReputationRep:
    no, not really.
    im just not convinced she did

ReputationRep:
    no, not really.
    im just not convinced she did
    You see a conspiracy EVERYWHERE dont you? How do you manage to leave your house everyday?

You think the policeman made it up as some part of a republican smear compaign?

Why has she apologised then?

ReputationRep:
    Policemen make stuff up all the time. I dont believe McKinney attacked a cop, no.
    she was politically smeared a bit afterwards.
    no conspiracy

what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Policemen make stuff up all the time. I dont believe McKinney attacked a cop, no.
    she was politically smeared a bit afterwards.
    no conspiracy

what do you think?
    I see no reason to believe her - she has deliberately turned this into a race thing, implied that because she was a "female, black congresswoman" she shouldnt have been stopped at all, and has played on racial tensions by having demonstrations and rallies with racial overtones.

She was stopped without the correct ID. She should leave it at that. I dont even begin to see how race was relevant.

ReputationRep:
    yea, i agree its not a race issue.
    but they are usually allowed in without IDs

ReputationRep:
    yea, i agree its not a race issue.
    but they are usually allowed in without IDs
    The policeman was fully justified in asking her to show one - I am sure white people have been asked too...

anyway - she hasnt even tried to deny hitting him. I think it's very likely she did.

ReputationRep:
    It's out of date now, but it comes to mind under these circumstances:

Guess Who?

36 have been accused of spousal abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

19 have been accused of writing bad checks

117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71, repeat 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit

14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for shoplifting

21 currently are defendants in lawsuits,

84 have been arrested for drunk driving

in the last year

Canyou guess which organization this is?

Give up yet?

It's the 535 members of the United States Congress.

The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.
    I had to do some searching to find that old e-mail.

Of course the policeman was justified in asking, of course she was wrong for getting physical, but are we surprised she's trying it on, to get off?

ReputationRep:
    TO be fair:

36 have been accused of spousal abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

19 have been accused of writing bad checks

117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses - bankruptcy isnt against the law.

3 have done time for assault

71, repeat 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit - again - not against the law

14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for shoplifting

21 currently are defendants in lawsuits - so? That could be to civil claims,

84 have been arrested for drunk driving

Id like to see stats on convictions, nor accusations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I see no reason to believe her - she has deliberately turned this into a race thing, implied that because she was a "female, black congresswoman" she shouldnt have been stopped at all, and has played on racial tensions by having demonstrations and rallies with racial overtones.

She was stopped without the correct ID. She should leave it at that. I dont even begin to see how race was relevant.
    The question is do you think that the same thing would have happed if she was a white male member of congress? have just read up abit on the story and it does look like she is being treated unfairly by the press and other politicians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    The question is do you think that the same thing would have happed if she was a white male member of congress?
    I have absolutely NO reason to believe that it wouldn't. You can't CLAIM racism because you THINK that's why you were stopped when there is no basis for that claim. Congressmen and women have IDs - the reason is so that they can prove who they are and gain access. I am sure white men have had to produce them in the past.

Regardless, it is no excuse for a congresswoman hitting a policeman to imply without evidence that he did it because she was a "Female, black congresswoman".

People have to stop playing the race card when there is no basis to do so.

have just read up abit on the story and it does look like she is being treated unfairly by the press and other politicians.
    I am sure the republicans are using it to their advantage - but she doesnt even deny hitting the policeman, and then goes on to stir up racial tension without any basis. Inexcusable.

ReputationRep:
    She can claim racism if she feels that the incident was racially motivated, every person including a congresswoman has a right to their defence. If she makes an official complaint of racism then it should be fully investigated. The incident most likely wasn't racially motivated but there should still be a full investigation just as there has been into her attack on the policeman. There isn't in my oppinion a justification for attacking someone if you aren't being attacked yourself but surely she is allowed to say why she feel that the stopping was racially motivated.

ReputationRep:
    She can claim racism if she feels that the incident was racially motivated, every person including a congresswoman has a right to their defence.
    She can claim whatever she likes, she can claim that he did it bcause she's a pisces, and he is anti-fish. That doesnt change the fact that she needs to provide some basis for it. People play the race card all the time hese days even withou proof. They use it to smear those they dont like. Unless she has some evidence or he actually said something she shoudl quite honestly shut the **** up IMO.

If she makes an official complaint of racism then it should be fully investigated.
    Investigate WHAT? She hasnt given any evidence for it besides her "hunch" :rolleyes:

What would you have the authorities do to detemrine if it was racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    She can claim whatever she likes, she can claim that he did it bcause she's a pisces, and he is anti-fish. That doesnt change the fact that she needs to provide some basis for it. People play the race card all the time hese days even withou proof. They use it to smear those they dont like. Unless she has some evidence or he actually said something she shoudl quite honestly shut the **** up IMO.

Investigate WHAT? She hasnt given any evidence for it besides her "hunch" :rolleyes:

What would you have the authorities do to detemrine if it was racist?
    They could talk to the policeman or look to see if there have been any previous complaints of a racist nature against him. The would take all of 10 mins and would put the matter to rest.

ReputationRep:
    They could talk to the policeman or look to see if there have been any previous complaints of a racist nature against him. The would take all of 10 mins and would put the matter to rest.
    I am sure that has been done. Not really a thorough investigation though is it?

If the policeman in question had a racist record, it would be all over the news by now I assure you ... it would have been within 5 mins.

And I am sure they have his side of the story too...
    There is NO evidence race had anything to do with it.

She should be ashamed of herself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I am sure that has been done. Not really a thorough investigation though is it?

If the policeman in question had a racist record, it would be all over the news by now I assure you ... it would have been within 5 mins.

And I am sure they have his side of the story too...
    There is NO evidence race had anything to do with it.

She should be ashamed of herself
    I thought they hadn't revealed who the policeman involved was?

ReputationRep:
    I thought they hadn't revealed who the policeman involved was?
    They may not have, but I am sure the authorities have looked into it.

Plus, I would imagine that th press could find out.

Anyway - the truth is, if THEY dont know if he has a record, then neither does she.

All she knows is what happened - and none of what happened would found a basis for a claim of racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    They may not have, but I am sure the authorities have looked into it.

Plus, I would imagine that th press could find out.

Anyway - the truth is, if THEY dont know if he has a record, then neither does she.

All she knows is what happened - and none of what happened would found a basis for a claim of racism.
    I have never said that there was deffinately a claim of racism that was justifiable just that it should be investigated just as all claim are and if it has been and there is no evidence then that is that.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.