The Student Room Group

Do you need advice about the ACA qualification?

Hi there

My name is Jackie and I work in the Student Recruitment team for ICAEW. Advisor Louise has moved on to a new company now so I have taken over from her Advisor role. I will be available to answer your questions about the ACA qualification and entry routes to becoming an ICAEW Chartered Accountant.

I'll also be joining in some existing threads, and pointing you in the right direction about the skills and experience you might need to give you the edge when applying for ACA training agreements.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Jackie
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello Louise,

I'm a graduate from an accounting field. I want to get into restructuring ideally. Can you give me a list of all companies that offer this with an ACA contract. I've tried looking through accountancyage and the ICAEW jobs section but haven't had much luck.
do you do it after graduating?
how long does it take?
how difficult is it in comparison to undergrad economics - would it be better than an MSc in financial economics from say oxford?
Hi there - in answer to acsh - have you tried ICAEW's Training Vacancies site at http://trainingvacancies.icaew.com/ - it currently features around 60 graduate vacancies to study the ACA qualification. All the employers describe the type of work they do, and you could search for specific service lines. Good luck with your search, if I can help again, let me know.

Louise
Hi there

In answer to FuLLuPMepOrtION.

You can train for the ACA qualification after graduating - employers typically look for a 2:1 or First, although some employers are happy with a 2:2.

To train takes typically take around 3 years. You apply for a training agreement with one of ICAEW's authorised training employers (which is separate from an employment contract) and you are supported by your employer, ICAEW and your training provider throughout your training.

In terms of comparison against an MSc - it really depends on where you want your career to take you. The advanced level of the ACA is at Masters level, so academically this is on par with an MSc, but the beauty of the ACA is that you are working while you study, so throughout your training you are gaining experience on the job, while studying to a high level of academic excellence. You are obviously paid a salary too, which is very competitive, and your employer pays for your training.

Best wishes.

Louise
Reply 5
Original post by ICAEWAdvisorLouise
Hi there - in answer to acsh - have you tried ICAEW's Training Vacancies site at http://trainingvacancies.icaew.com/ - it currently features around 60 graduate vacancies to study the ACA qualification. All the employers describe the type of work they do, and you could search for specific service lines. Good luck with your search, if I can help again, let me know.

Louise

Yep, I have had a look at this but I can only few one or two vacancies in the field I want to apply for. Do you have a list of firms that have Chartered accountants and offer insolvency services to clients, that way I can contact only those ones.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Oh and also if I was to take CIMA and then be offered a training contract with an ACA, would I gain exemptions on ACA papers due to the completion of some of my CIMA modules?
Hi ACSH

Try our Find an ICAEW Chartered Accountant link on the main ICAEW website at http://www.icaewfirms.co.uk/business/index.php - you can search by insolvency/liquidation and by area of choice - this is primarily for use by businesses looking for an ICAEW Chartered Accountant, but you could try this as a starting point by contacting them to see if they have vacancies.

And yes, we do offer some exemptions towards the ACA qualification if you decide to go for CIMA first, but not sure if you would want to do two professional qualifications?

Louise
Reply 8
Hi there

My name is Louise and I work in the Student Recruitment team for ICAEW - over the next few months I will be available to answer your questions about the ACA qualification and becoming an ICAEW Chartered Accountant.

I'll also be joining in some existing threads, and pointing you in the right direction about the skills and experience you might need to give you the edge when applying for ACA training agreements.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Louise

Hi Louise,

I am having trouble getting graduate positions as I got a 2.2 in my Economics degree. I am finding that I have the A at Maths and the right GCSE'S and A Levels but that seems to be irrelevant without the 2.1. So I was considering starting to take the exams privately, whether CIMA or ACA. Could you tell me if many firms take on graduates who have done this or am I still not likely to get a position even if I pass some of the exams? I got one or two exemptions I think. Thanks
Reply 9
Hi. I was reading on the ICAEW website about the Birkbeck degree programme (where you can gain half the credits towards the BSc from the first 12 ACA exams). Out of interest, are there any similar master programmes which are part covered by the final 3 ACA exams?
Hi newts2k

I agree, it can be more challenging to get an ACA training agreement with a 2:2, but definitely not impossible, in fact there are currently six adverts on our Training Vacancies site which specify a minimum of a 2:2. You can find training vacancies at the link below.

If you wanted to start studying straight away, a great place to start is CFAB, which is a standalone certificate and completely flexible to study and has no entry requirements. It is also the first level of the ACA qualification - six modules. Many employers will see this as your commitment to becoming a chartered accountant. You can find out more on the ICAEW Careers website at http://careers.icaew.com/. Good luck. Louise
Original post by M1011
Hi. I was reading on the ICAEW website about the Birkbeck degree programme (where you can gain half the credits towards the BSc from the first 12 ACA exams). Out of interest, are there any similar master programmes which are part covered by the final 3 ACA exams?

Hi there - yes the University of Winchester also run a Masters programme (MSc Accounting and Finance) where students can receive credits based on ACA membership.

Louise
Reply 12
Hi there - yes the University of Winchester also run a Masters programme (MSc Accounting and Finance) where students can receive credits based on ACA membership.

Louise

Ah, not sure UoW is really going to add much to the ACA to be honest! Does the likes of Birkbeck not offer credit towards a master from the latter stages (presuming the candidate already has a relevant BSc)? Sorry for the specific questions!
Original post by M1011
Ah, not sure UoW is really going to add much to the ACA to be honest! Does the likes of Birkbeck not offer credit towards a master from the latter stages (presuming the candidate already has a relevant BSc)? Sorry for the specific questions!

Hi there - not at the moment, but our qualifications team work closely with UK universities to meet demand, so watch this space or keep an eye on our website. Louise
Reply 14
Hi newts2k

I agree, it can be more challenging to get an ACA training agreement with a 2:2, but definitely not impossible, in fact there are currently six adverts on our Training Vacancies site which specify a minimum of a 2:2. You can find training vacancies at the link below.

If you wanted to start studying straight away, a great place to start is CFAB, which is a standalone certificate and completely flexible to study and has no entry requirements. It is also the first level of the ACA qualification - six modules. Many employers will see this as your commitment to becoming a chartered accountant. You can find out more on the ICAEW Careers website at http://careers.icaew.com/. Good luck. Louise

Thanks for your reply Louise, apologies, I didn't know that you had replied as you didn't quote me. I previously applied for the 2.2 programs, I have 300 ucas points so I couldn't apply for all but I applied for those that I met the criteria for and was unfortunately rejected, the companies said they had over 1000 applicants. Think I might try and start studying independently but am also considering other careers such as sales.
Reply 15
Can you get into an accounting school leaver program without A levels or a BTEC but by doing another Level 3 qualification such as CFAB or doing another qualification that gains UCAS points or perhaps doesn't gain UCAS points? Is the CFAB meant be equivalent to A Levels or a BTEC?
Original post by hsv
Can you get into an accounting school leaver program without A levels or a BTEC but by doing another Level 3 qualification such as CFAB or doing another qualification that gains UCAS points or perhaps doesn't gain UCAS points? Is the CFAB meant be equivalent to A Levels or a BTEC?

Hi hsv - yes, you can get into an accounting school leaver program without A levels. For example, straight after your GCSEs you could study while at work for the AAT qualification, which offers a fast track to the ACA qualification. You can also study CFAB at any time, which is the first six modules of the ACA qualification (this is not equivalent to A levels). You could also study a relevant apprenticeship, as these are mapped to the national qualification framework and will have a UCAS point equivalent.

Don't forget that it is employers who set their own entry requirements - so it is always worth checking what they want, when you are ready to apply.

Good luck! Louise
Hi Louise

I'm currently a student in the institute of a chartered accountants Ireland on a pre contract basis studying for the ACA.Now I have exemptions from my college days as well as from exams I've taken with the institute.

I plan on relocating to London in summer 2013 and was wondering if I will be able to continue my studies with ICAEW?I hope to secure a training contact by then.Will I be entitled to same exemptions I had with the institute.

Thanks
Original post by princessvee
Hi Louise

I'm currently a student in the institute of a chartered accountants Ireland on a pre contract basis studying for the ACA.Now I have exemptions from my college days as well as from exams I've taken with the institute.

I plan on relocating to London in summer 2013 and was wondering if I will be able to continue my studies with ICAEW?I hope to secure a training contact by then.Will I be entitled to same exemptions I had with the institute.

Thanks

Hi PrincessVee

It's possible that you would be able to claim credit for prior learning (exemptions) from CAI towards the ACA qualification. To find out you would need to look at our CPL directory at icaew.com/CPL and choose the professional body drop-down box and choose CAI. It then lists the modules from which you can potentially claim credit.

Good luck.

Louise
Reply 19
Hi Louise,

I'm in a similar situation as a previous member. I did well imho at A Level (340 UCAS points) but then achieved a 2:2 in Clinical Sciences (so no experience in the financial field). My long term goal is to become a chartered accountant but I need to get my first step on the ladder. I know it will be extremely difficult if not impossible to get a place with a training provider. So I'd like to ask you:
1. Which kind of work experience do you recommend I should look for?
2. Should I look to do the AAT or CFAB?
2i. Am I over-qualified to study the AAT and possibly exempt from the fast-track route as I have a degree?
2ii. What kind of work will I be qualified to do with the CFAB and how do employers regard it?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Quick Reply