Turn on thread page Beta

Need Help With Computing Coursework - Tods Tyres watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i've just started making a database for my computing coursework which is Tods Tyres and have absolultley no idea what i'm doing. Can anyone please give me some help or advice?
    Cheers.

MSN - [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing it in Access?

If so first establish the Entity relationships, this will become the structure of your tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smoky)
    Are you doing it in Access?

what does the entity look like?!?

If so first establish the Entity relationships, this will become the structure of your tables.

ReputationRep:

what does the entity diagram for Tods look like? i have no idea!

ReputationRep:
    what does the entity diagram for Tods look like? i have no idea!
    I have no idea neither mate. Is it something like that One car can have Many visits, and one car can have one tyre type?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jagger)
    I have no idea neither mate. Is it something like that One car can have Many visits, and one car can have one tyre type?
    im feelin bit screwed and jus hope sumbody who does kno, can give us a hand cos i cant start writin up in access until i have sorted out the tables

ReputationRep:
    http://www.overzero.org/tod.jpg

That's basically what your entity relationship diagram is going to want to look like. Sorry about the ridiculous image but I used MS Paint :P

Here are example table structures:

Company/Customer(CompanyID, CompanyName, ContactName, Address, Postcode, Telephone, Email, Website, Discount)

Vehicle(Registration, CompanyID, TyreCode)

Stock(TyreCode, TyreType, ManufactureCode, Quantity)

Booking(DateTime, Registration, NumberOfTyresForBooked)

History/Fitting(DateTime, Registration, NumberOfTyresForFitting)

The reason I have a set number of tyres on the booking and a set number of tyres on fitting is that when the fulfillment of a booking takes place, the company/customer may want more tyres fitting than he/she had earlier asked for. That's why I did it anyway, though it's not a particulary big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Mate, i think that helps, but shouldn't there be a something like an Invoice Table that has feilds such as: NumberOfTyresFitted, Price(ExcVAT), Price(IncVAT), TotalPrice etc???

I am very new to Access and don't really know much about it.

ReputationRep:
    You could do that for, tod's records of the invoice, but you'd end up with repetition in the database which you really want to cut down on. The price(ExcVat) and the price(IncVat) can be already infered from a query of the stock and company tables, as can the NumberOfTyresFitted from the fitting table. All the relevent data would be already stored in the database, so there is no reason for it to be in twice.

All you really want to do is produce a report (really easy to do in Access using the report wizards) that uses queries to find the price of the tyre fitted, how many were fitted, if 5% discount is to be used and then the final price after VAT is included. Oh, and all the company details queried from the company table to correctly address the invoice to the company under consideration (check your spec for anything else it needs, as I'm currently not looking at it so I may have missed something).

The same thing would be done for the standard letter too tbh.

ReputationRep:
    thanx a lot geezas, u reallly helped me out and appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chevray)
    thanx a lot geezas, u reallly helped me out and appreciate it
    Yes you can have an Invoice table but don’t put the prices in the table as these come from another table. This table should contain the invoice no, Date of invoice and Customer ID. You could have a total for the invoice as well.
    This table should be linked with the customer table and the fitting table.
    -----------
    If you use the fitting number as the invoice number, this means that for every fitting the customer will receive an invoice. As a more practical method with the invoice no in a separate table a customer will receive an invoice for one or more fittings.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.