Turn on thread page Beta

Universities not accepting English lang/lit watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to university in 2005 and I'm really interested in doing English Literature with creative writing at Warwick but I just read on their website that they only accept English Literature (unless your school only offers lang/lit). I chose the lang/lit course because not only do I enjoy reading but I love writing as well but now it seems like I should have chosen lit. Is it just me or does it seem weird that half the course is creative writing yest they dont accept lang/lit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I'm going to university in 2005 and I'm really interested in doing English Literature with creative writing at Warwick but I just read on their website that they only accept English Literature (unless your school only offers lang/lit). I chose the lang/lit course because not only do I enjoy reading but I love writing as well but now it seems like I should have chosen lit. Is it just me or does it seem weird that half the course is creative writing yest they dont accept lang/lit?
    Hmm, it does seem a bit unusual, if only because almost all the Unis that I've seen accept the English Lang/Lit. Maybe you could email them and ask why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Hmm, it does seem a bit unusual, if only because almost all the Unis that I've seen accept the English Lang/Lit. Maybe you could email them and ask why?
    Yeah I might do that. Even Oxford accept lang/lit so I don't know why Warwick wouldn't. I know Lit is seen as more respectable but lit/lang is just as hard, if not harder (much less people get A's in lang/lit at my school anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Yeah I might do that. Even Oxford accept lang/lit so I don't know why Warwick wouldn't. I know Lit is seen as more respectable but lit/lang is just as hard, if not harder (much less people get A's in lang/lit at my school anyway)
    Why exactly is Lit seen as more respectable? I took Language for AS and I HATED it. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, and one of our teachers was a load of rubbish who's now left. We put the surprising amount of As in our class down to a very generous marker.

ReputationRep:
    Why exactly is Lit seen as more respectable? I took Language for AS and I HATED it. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, and one of our teachers was a load of rubbish who's now left. We put the surprising amount of As in our class down to a very generous marker.
    I don't know why it's seen as more respectable, probably because it has been around for longer. But, in lang/lit part of our coursework was to write a short story, yet it would seem that writing about a book is more relevant to a creative writing degree??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I don't know why it's seen as more respectable, probably because it has been around for longer. But, in lang/lit part of our coursework was to write a short story, yet it would seem that writing about a book is more relevant to a creative writing degree??
    Yeah, for our Language coursework, we had to do three pieces of original creative writing. Maybe if you do bother emailing them you could try telling them that?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, for our Language coursework, we had to do three pieces of original creative writing. Maybe if you do bother emailing them you could try telling them that?
    Well I'm going to a UCAS convention tomorrow and I think there will be a Warwick stand so I will try and speak to them then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Well I'm going to a UCAS convention tomorrow and I think there will be a Warwick stand so I will try and speak to them then

The one in Islington ?

ReputationRep:
    When I applied to uni most unis preferred the lang/lit option because it was known to be harder. I wonder why they feel like that at Warwick, it must be a new ish development because it didnt have that requirement when I looked at it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    The one in Islington ?
    Erm...maybe. In London somewhere. (Lol I feel really embarrased not knowing where islington is)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    When I applied to uni most unis preferred the lang/lit option because it was known to be harder. I wonder why they feel like that at Warwick, it must be a new ish development because it didnt have that requirement when I looked at it.
    What unis have you applied to and for what subject?

ReputationRep:
    That's very peculiar... is it they don't accept it at all or just that they prefer eng lit? hmmmm, i'm sure that even though they say that they'd still consider your application if it was strong enough overall, so ignore it and just go for it. btw, i applied to that course, still waiting eagerly for warwick's response... they're the last one i'm waiting for.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for plain English Lit at Warwick with Lang/lit and got rejected...*******s. This was back in December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rutera)
    That's very peculiar... is it they don't accept it at all or just that they prefer eng lit? hmmmm, i'm sure that even though they say that they'd still consider your application if it was strong enough overall, so ignore it and just go for it. btw, i applied to that course, still waiting eagerly for warwick's response... they're the last one i'm waiting for.
    What other courses/unis did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Muffin)
    I applied for plain English Lit at Warwick with Lang/lit and got rejected...*******s. This was back in December.
    Doesn't look too promising then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Doesn't look too promising then
    I shouldn't worry about it. The lack of English Lit won't have been the only factor in rejecting the application, and if Warwick don't want the Lang/Lit course, then surely their course would be too literature based for you anyway ?

Or they're just completely up their own arses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    The lack of English Lit won't have been the only factor in rejecting the application,

Optimistic... !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    What unis have you applied to and for what subject?
    I applied in 98 for English I didnt go for Warwick but I did look at it and if they stipulated that you couldnt do lang and lit then they didnt tell me so it must be a recent thing.

ReputationRep:
    read the sheffield hallam university prospectus on english studies. they mix literature, linguistics and creative writing. the creative writing tutors are all well known authors, poets and dramatists. it is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Optimistic... !

I'd like to consider myself an optimist.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.