Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking of a subject for my extended essay for a couple of weeks ... I've had some ideas but I have trouble finding a hypothesis I should set about proving... here's what I thought of so far (topics)

>>Diabetes (I have a lot of information on that) or another disease that might tie in with ethical issues (my problem: NO hypotheses)
    >>Sign language/the deaf community (again, no hypothesis, I've read a book and a couple of articles on it and can't come up with any real good hypothesis)
    >>Study of behaviour within a closed group of people (hirarchy, elitism etc)

.... I'd really appreciate it if someone, who did an essay on a similar topic could give me some ideas... or ANYONE who can think of a reasonable hypothesis or give me some clues to these or similar topics...

thank you in advance. My brain's steaming already O.o

ReputationRep:
    So it can be about anything, and your choices are diabetes, the deaf community and elitism?

Were there any guidelines for your to follow?

If I has to do an "extended essay" I'd probably do it about something with loads of things to write about like politics or current world events or something.

ReputationRep:
    First of all thanks for posting here. Well, there are no guidelines. I know I need to come up with a hypothesis I set about proving.. I need to structure the essay, but how I do it is up to me.
    I found that there's a lot of suitable information on the Deaf community... I want it to be more "social studies/sociology" than medicine, which I would have to get into if I took something like diabetes.
    I was looking at some essays and decided I'd like to go along the lines of "clash between the hearing and deaf world" or narcisissm and elitism and isolation within the deaf community... something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angsty Shem)
    First of all thanks for posting here. Well, there are no guidelines. I know I need to come up with a hypothesis I set about proving.. I need to structure the essay, but how I do it is up to me.
    I found that there's a lot of suitable information on the Deaf community... I want it to be more "social studies/sociology" than medicine, which I would have to get into if I took something like diabetes.
    I was looking at some essays and decided I'd like to go along the lines of "clash between the hearing and deaf world" or narcisissm and elitism and isolation within the deaf community... something like that
    what subject is this for?

ReputationRep:
    No particular subject, doesn't have to be. It can be on anything I want it to be. I need to find a co-ordinator but that's not a problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    what subject is this for?
    Extended Essay is a part of the IB programme, you can choose what you want to write about in the areas of the subjects that you are reading. my guess is the Angsty Shem is writing in biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    Extended Essay is a part of the IB programme, you can choose what you want to write about in the areas of the subjects that you are reading. my guess is the Angsty Shem is writing in biology

oh ic didnt know that before :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angsty Shem)
    there are some guidlines, that tells you how the essay should be..think it is general assesment criteria. anyway do you have a question or just a statement where you explain something? this is just a suggestion, but you can use your theoretical framework from the hearing and deaf information that you had and make your own investigation. the hypothesis would then be what you think that the result would be based on that information. don't know if this would work, but it might help you a little anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well easier said than done here I guess, Emma. I mean starting my own investigation... that's way in-depth... if you mean interviewing people and stuff...
    I was going to work with the information I have on various social issues but I have trouble finding a hypothesis I'm gonna set about proving. I mean I thought about taking a common myth or misconception or statement and then proving it wrong ...but I'm stumped as to what that should be exactly...
    and writing for biology? I don't think so. I mean it's sociology, I'm not going to write about the medical issues of the deaf. If I choose diabetes It would be a mix of sociology and biology but I wanna keep this in one topic area.. and I think I'm choosing sociology. I found some good essays but I still have the trouble of formulating a hypothesis. Any help here?
    Thanks for you guys input!

ps. Does TOK count as social studies?
    And yes it's the IB program

ReputationRep:
    So.. after I did that explaining.. I'm still looking for someone who's done something similar before and can give me advice or an idea for a hypothesis..
    thanks folks

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.