Freshers Week - I Don't Drink Watch

tanusha-tomsk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Would my first week at uni be a disaster if I don't drink?? I would have a glas of champagne, but no more, and certainly not getting drunk. What do you think?
Redefined
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
of course not. be yourself and i bet u wont be alone
xXMessedUpXx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There's plenty of freshers who don't drink, so don't let yourself think you won't still be able to enjoy yourself. There willbe plenty of social activities planned (not just getting pissed) so stop worrying and start looking forward to it
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Not at all. You won't be alone.

While I wouldn't recommend the pub crawl, there are still going to be loads of events, both daytime and nighttime, where drinking isn't a prerequisite. Even events in bars or clubs can be fun without drink, but then I'm sure you know that.

It's all about meeting new people, not getting wasted.
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
bloody hell the ammount of people on here who have these wild impressions of uni actually astounds me.

It's not a big **** Fest, it's not a whole big drinking binge

honestly what do you people expect?
Adarah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
Would my first week at uni be a disaster if I don't drink?? I would have a glas of champagne, but no more, and certainly not getting drunk. What do you think?
course not! quite a few people in my halls don't drink, most of them for religious reasons, but there are others who just don't drink a lot and are never really drunk. so a) you won't be alone and b) if you just join in and play drinking games with apple juice then you'll have fun anyway (that's what one guy did on my first night in halls - he got himself some apple juice and played drinking games with another group who were downing vodka). Lol, very funny. believe me, drunk people don't mind - they'll just shout that you should down your apple juice :rofl:
and in general, don't worry, fresher's week doesn't revolve around getting stupidly drunk - just make sure you join in and meet people. don't sit in your room thinking - ah, I bet they are all drinking anyway.
~Hena.87~
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have a tendency of only drinking socially and I never drink too much. You are making the right choice to not drink. Personally I don't like this binge drinking culture. There's nothing wrong to drink for fun but know your own limits.
What's Chico Time Precious?
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wow, thank god for that, i was scared that being a non-drinker at uni meant having yourself subjected to various acts of rape and/or pillaging by certain sports teams...phew!
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by serious narb)
bloody hell the ammount of people on here who have these wild impressions of uni actually astounds me.

I agree, of course uni should be fun but the main point shpuld be about studying and learning new things. I really enjoyed myself at uni, I got drunk a lot etc but that was not the reason I went.

It was also extremely hard work and the people who went for the party quickly dropped out or failed.

Anyway back on topic there is lots of societies you can join and nobody will really care if you don't get drunk, the most likely thing is you will find a group of friends who also don't drink.
Decent_Jam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You get to enjoy drinking as a spectator sport, watching all the idiots do stupid things, besides there will still be dancing and music and fun stuff which doesn't involve drinking. Also you can totally get in with other non-drinking folk and will hit it off with people by having something in common already.
suga_fly_77
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I seriously don't get why the whole "i-don't-drink-so-am-i-going-to-feel-excluded" thing is such an issue. Why would anyone even care whether the drink you were holding was alcoholic or non-alcoholic? I drink but there are plenty of occasions where I don't feel like it, so I just don't.

Don't let it be an issue! You're there to have fun and having fun is definitely NOT all about getting hammered. xx
dan1982
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Will you be drinking though? Dont want to or not used to it.
Getting drunk is a big part of the fun, for me anyhows, and being drunk is hilarious.
However the biggest part is being there and making bonds with the people you live week, and this can be done by being confident, talkative and having fun.

Something i was told, and hold very highly as good advice, is this.

Dont lie, and dont talk about people behind there backs.
dan1982
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Lol your missing out on something at your uni then. Thats all ive been doing
i expected what i got, or made it. for the first 18 days me and my flat mates went out everyday and got smashed. Was brilliant. It is a **** fest too.
Clarence
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I hate getting plastered but i still plan on enjoying freshers!
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dan1982)
Lol your missing out on something at your uni then. Thats all ive been doing
i expected what i got, or made it. for the first 18 days me and my flat mates went out everyday and got smashed. Was brilliant. It is a **** fest too.

you're 'ard, I wish I was just like you

yes I go out and get drunk, don't get laid anywhere near as often as i'd like but that's besides the point. It isn't the same experience for everyone, if you wanna do all that you can, it's not a forced lifestyle
dan1982
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ok keep your knickers on, i didnt mean it as a brag.
Im just disagreeing with you because i though u were under the impression that fresher week isnt a mad drinking session when in most cases it is. If you want it to be like you said obviously!

Infact you have to be very careful to keep it under control.
suga_fly_77
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Erm...not for everybody.....
serious narb
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dan1982)
Ok keep your knickers on, i didnt mean it as a brag.
Im just disagreeing with you because i though u were under the impression that fresher week isnt a mad drinking session when in most cases it is. If you want it to be like you said.

Infact you have to be very careful to keep it under control.
yeah well it can be but it's easy to avoid i'd imagine. TBH Freshers week(or fortnight as we had) was one big drinking session which is what I wanted it to be. But i'm pretty sure not everyone else did the same thing.
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Freshers week isn't something you are forced into, jebus!

Do what you want to, the problems arise because nobody really knows each other and half of the room-mates/class-mates/whatever, will go out with the prime objective of getting laid *yawn* ...and half tend to stay in and have a laugh together anyway.

Thats what I experienced, plenty of people to go around.
dan1982
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeah well it can be but it's easy to avoid i'd imagine. TBH Freshers week(or fortnight as we had) was one big drinking session which is what I wanted it to be. But i'm pretty sure not everyone else did the same thing.

If thats the case then fair play but im different i like to drink, and love to get drunk. But i think in either case if you do or dont then the first week or two should still be mental fun and going out. If its not then you have missed out, dont avoid it, its can be important in the making friend process with your flat mates who probably will go out. If you do it as a group you can make a better connection, from my own experience anyhows.

Do your best to loosen up and have a ball, dont think about hard about work in th first two weeks, it not gona effect your course really

(Original post by black_mamba)
Freshers week isn't something you are forced into, jebus!

Do what you want to, the problems arise because nobody really knows each other and half of the room-mates/class-mates/whatever, will go out with the prime objective of getting laid *yawn* ...and half tend to stay in and have a laugh together anyway.

Thats what I experienced, plenty of people to go around.

we had a good combo of drink together in the kitchen then going out, and sometimes not returning together. The talking about how funny the walk home was and getting lost and such.
If you dont make an effort to go out with your new house mates and want to stay in, then they are a bit sad really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.45%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.65%
Nope, not that interesting (160)
39.9%

Watched Threads