The Student Room Group

University is stressing me out can't keep up with the workload :(((

At the moment I'm in my second year of Uni, I am so anxious every day whilst at the same time thinking about failing my course. The course I am doing is computer science, and each week, a new topic in programming is introduced. I try to catch up on weekends then the following week another difficult topic in programming is introduced. I hardly speak to my friends anymore because the amount of pressure that university is giving me is unbelievable. Help! need some advice people.
I'm not at university, by maybe speak to your lecturers and explain your situation? They they're to help. Or maybe the counselling service? They're there to help, you shouldn't have to suffer in silence.
Reply 2
Heres a list of a few different study techniques.

Have you tried working 9am-5pm? When things get tough that's what I try and do (I do comp sci as well, in my 4th year D: ). Do you have a lot more lectures this teaching block or next?

Making a to-do list helps as well, as it means the time you're meant to do working is more efficient as when you get to a lull you know what to do next.

Try working harder and getting as much work as you can do Monday/beginning of the week. That way hopefully by the end of the week/weekend you'll have more spare time.
Failing that, try and get your friends to explain some concepts to you, as it will not only cement their knowledge on the subject, but it might be quicker for you (personally I learn better by myself, but I love explaining stuff as it helps me remember it)

It's only the start of the year, don't fret about failing so far. Get coursework out the way when it comes, and then in the spare time do course content (for exams etc). But honestly I wouldn't worry about exams yet, just try and get the basics on the material down.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mirey
Heres a list of a few different study techniques.

Have you tried working 9am-5pm? When things get tough that's what I try and do (I do comp sci as well, in my 4th year D: ). Do you have a lot more lectures this teaching block or next?

Making a to-do list helps as well, as it means the time you're meant to do working is more efficient as when you get to a lull you know what to do next.

Try working harder and getting as much work as you can do Monday/beginning of the week. That way hopefully by the end of the week/weekend you'll have more spare time.
Failing that, try and get your friends to explain some concepts to you, as it will not only cement their knowledge on the subject, but it might be quicker for you (personally I learn better by myself, but I love explaining stuff as it helps me remember it)

It's only the start of the year, don't fret about failing so far. Get coursework out the way when it comes, and then in the spare time do course content (for exams etc). But honestly I wouldn't worry about exams yet, just try and get the basics on the material down.

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks - I have tried doing the to do list but I end up not looking at it and do that work instead.
OP i feel exactly the same way you do, but i'm in my 1st year and only just started! I think a lot of student must feel this way, maybe try talking to your coursemates about it, chances are you wont be alone!
Reply 5
Original post by crazyunicorn133
OP i feel exactly the same way you do, but i'm in my 1st year and only just started! I think a lot of student must feel this way, maybe try talking to your coursemates about it, chances are you wont be alone!

Trust me first year is ok all you need is a pass, in general it's like an intro to uni life.
Reply 6
Original post by ForgotUserID
Thanks - I have tried doing the to do list but I end up not looking at it and do that work instead.

Well that just comes down to self discipline, and no one can help you with that. That said, you just need to find something that works for you.

Trust me first year is ok all you need is a pass, in general it's like an intro to uni life.

Now, now, every uni is different, and people find things of varying difficulty. I could have quite easily said the same about my second year.
Reply 7
yeah but still
Reply 8
Anyone??
Anyone??

Ever figure it out?

Latest

Trending

Trending