Cambridge: academically superior to Oxford - but still a worse university Watch

naivesincerity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Isaiah Berlin)
I attend an academically superior university to you? Y.
Not so sure...last I checked, UCL's requirements were every bit as high as Oxbridges in terms of grades(Was 3As then, probably about 7 A stars now)And I believe they interview as well.
georgecrabbe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Let's just all be friends.

Although since Oxford men founded Cambridge, it ranks as one of our achievements. And since Cambridge men founded Harvard, and since Cambridge is one of our achievements, that makes Harvard our achievement squared. Thus however good those universities are, they just make Oxford look better.

bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by georgecrabbe)
Let's just all be friends.

Although since Oxford men founded Cambridge, it ranks as one of our achievements. And since Cambridge men founded Harvard, and since Cambridge is one of our achievements, that makes Harvard our achievement squared. Thus however good those universities are, they just make Oxford look better.

You're lucky though...geology is said to be significantly superior at Ox (apparently the only sceince that is :eek: ) which makes sense considering the nature of the course too...
Anyway, as pointed out, a lot of the points in the OP appear to be fallacious, but I think its fair to say that a lot of it depends on the individual - Oxford and Cambridge both give its students the opportunity to promote themselves, and hence it is always hard to judge if one is significantly superior. What we know, and what matters most, is that we're significanty superior to all other British Universities
Isaiah Berlin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
a lot of the points in the OP appear to be fallacious
Whatever happened to "wrong"? "nonesense"? "rubbish" bollocks? or even "false"?
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Isaiah Berlin)
Whatever happened to "wrong"? "nonesense"? "rubbish" bollocks? or even "false"?
Fallacious sounds far more degrading to he who concocted such a list of compounded ignorance.
bluefuture
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
Not so sure...last I checked, UCL's requirements were every bit as high as Oxbridges in terms of grades(Was 3As then, probably about 7 A stars now)And I believe they interview as well.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

1) Oxbridge's entry requirements are generally or above AAA for EVERY subject (only rarely AAB for special circumstances). They then require STEP and AEA for certain courses as part of offers. At UCL only a FEW departments require AAA.

2) The average Oxford student's ucas score is above 500 which works out at 4A+! Which is even higher than Cambridge. This quite simply demolishes UCL's student average of the mid 300s. Those departments as UCL who do require AAA are all outranked in terms of ucas points and position in the tables.

3) Oxford has been ranked 5th in the world and Cambridge 2nd in the last year. Both are ranked highest in Europe.

4) Oxford and cambridge are the best and will continually be purely because of their vast wealth of a combined $10bn in endownment (yes cashflow is a little shoddy though). Not to mention the prestige which attracts the world class faculty they possess.

sorry guys just needed a rant!
sTe\/o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bikerx23)
You're lucky though...geology is said to be significantly superior at Ox
What's the p value for that and how did you work it out?

And back to revision.... or sleep - whichever wins.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Have you ever heard the term "exception that proves the rule" ?
oh, and p = r sin i / v
(assuming you meant ray parameter).
sTe\/o
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Have you ever heard the term "exception that proves the rule" ?
No, but it sounds complicated. How can an exception prove a rule? :confused:
oh, and p = r sin i / v
(assuming you meant ray parameter).
Right, I see you've also been revising a bit too much lately. :p:
edmundwillis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Prove as in test. Therefore, the exception that challenges the rule.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
not really...only handed in my dissertation the other week, so have been a little rushed to start...but had a lovely couple of hours today gormlessly staring at false colour satellite images and mis-identifying faults.

I'm guessing you're a tab geologist, yea?
sTe\/o
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by edmundwillis)
Prove as in test. Therefore, the exception that tests the rule.
I was being sarcastic. I really have to stop doing that. (But since you didn't realise that, it was nice of you to be so understanding of my ignorance )
edmundwillis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Eek. :o:p: Although it is difficult to judge sarcasm without smileys. :rolleyes:
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I actually meant it as "If I'm this ignorant, everyone else must be comparatively able", but I'm not complaining about your interpretations...
sTe\/o
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
not really...only handed in my dissertation the other week, so have been a little rushed to start...but had a lovely couple of hours today gormlessly staring at false colour satellite images and mis-identifying faults.

I'm guessing you're a tab geologist, yea?
Nah, I'm a tab medic - the tab geologists are probably much nicer than me. I think geology is part of Natsci at Cambridge anyway, so you could only be a real geologist in the final year. I'm sure you know that already.

I've been reading papers about nerve regeneration all day - it's one of those topics that sounds more interesting than it is. (A *lot* more interesting than it is)
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fair enough...yea - it is a part of NatSci, relatively to its detriment apparently.
I've been doing a lot of work on volcanic prediction at the moment, which is both extremely interesting and sexy, so, yay.
sTe\/o
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fair enough...yea - it is a part of NatSci, relatively to its detriment apparently.
I can see why that would be the case if your main aim was to learn geology, as it's not a big part of the course until the final year. It probably suits come people, though. I was never disagreeing with your original point btw, just stirring.

I've been doing a lot of work on volcanic prediction at the moment, which is both extremely interesting and sexy, so, yay.
I don't think I can match that.
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yea...I agree if you were unsure it would be a better route to take, and i know you weren't!

it all saves lives, so thats what matters.
sTe\/o
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yea...I agree if you were unsure it would be a better route to take, and i know you weren't!

it all saves lives, so thats what matters.
Oh, I'd say probably about 20% of what I've learnt so far will help me save lives. The only purpose of learning the other 80% was to ruin my own. Oh well, it's all character-building in the end, as my counsellor repeatedly assures me. :rolleyes:
fundamentally
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
Part of the numbers game comes from the fact that many London students choose to do their activities away from their university.
The inferiority complex is showing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed