Cambridge: academically superior to Oxford - but still a worse university Watch

MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Isaiah Berlin)
it seems it's still Dark Blues by 5 lengths...
Cheeky git. :p:
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by fundamentally)
The inferiority complex is showing.
So is the non sequitur.

In London, there's a lot to do away from the uni compared to small farms villages "towns" like Oxford and Cambridge which students will take advantage of - it is part of the reason they come here apparently.

I hear London is quite a big and popular place with a few important things going on which are unique in the world and draw in millions and millions of visitors a year. Apparently.

Yep, London has a bigger schlong than Oxford or Cambridge (or combining them).

Oh noes! World reknowed City presents more opportunities than farms villages "towns"!

:toofunny: :rofl:

You do know the starting point here was that we do actually beat you down the Thames, yes?
bikerx23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But, then again...amount to do per area in Ox atleast is far higher...I wont speak on behalf of tabland since it all seems to be fields...
I think you can get past with most things in Oxford, and there is certainly not a lack of things to do...but, yes - it doesn't have the same magnitude, but I think that is both a positive and a negative point in some respects...
sTe\/o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
So is the non sequitur.

In London, there's a lot to do away from the uni compared to small farms villages "towns" like Oxford and Cambridge which students will take advantage of - it is part of the reason they come here apparently.

I hear London is quite a big and popular place with a few important things going on which are unique in the world and draw in millions and millions of visitors a year. Apparently.

Yep, London has a bigger schlong than Oxford or Cambridge (or combining them).

Oh noes! World reknowed City presents more opportunities than farms villages "towns"!

:toofunny: :rofl:

You do know the starting point here was that we do actually beat you down the Thames, yes?
Hmm, it may have been a non sequitur before you posted that, but now I'm wondering...
Spunky
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sTe\/o)
Hmm, it may have been a non sequitur before you posted that, but now I'm wondering...
Ditto. And I thought Oxford was a city, no?
sTe\/o
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Casey)
Ditto. And I thought Oxford was a city, no?
Oxford is a city, as indeed is Cambridge (although it hasn't always been).
bluefuture
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The standard of life in Oxford and Cambridge is higher than that of London. In terms of day to day life anyway. London has huge museums, nightclubs and posh shops and restaraunts , but how often is a student going to access these? once a week/month unless their loaded. If you need these things they are only an hour away. I live in London and it takes me 1hr mins to get anyware by bus or tube anyway!

Pres_bens never going to convince me any of the London unis are as good as Oxbridge, academically or socially. I myself rejected Imperial college and UCL offers twice to get into the 'bastion of privilege and city of dreaming spires'.
I have also lived in London and worked for a UCL department.
sTe\/o
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I just want to say to whoever anonymously neg repped me for one of my earlier posts... get a sense of humour.
Alewhey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bluefuture)
Pres_bens never going to convince me any of the London unis are as good as Oxbridge, academically or socially. I myself rejected Imperial college and UCL offers twice to get into the 'bastion of privilege and city of dreaming spires'.
Is anyone ever going to be able to persuade you that Oxford is not in fact the greatest place ever conceived by mankind and that anyone who doesn't go there might as well kill themselves right now?
bikerx23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I dont think pres ben is trying to convince you of that...He makes very good points that london is a wonderfully diverse, large, metropolitan city that offers many things Oxford does not, but I'm sure he would agree that in the case of both of the cities the sociability and education are what you make of the advantages given to you, and each individuals inherent preferences mean that you cannot pidgeonhole one university as being better on all levels - personally I am a fan of the outdoors and the countryside, hence I would hate to have gone from that environment to studying in London, but others feel the opposite.

Most simply, do whatever you feel is best of you, and no one can convince you otherwise.

Unless you go to Bristol ofcourse, in which case you've fecked up somewhere...
Manellowzworth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is either oxford or cambridge perceived as better in general, by the average person? I say this b/c most people I've spoken to from the U.K. have given me the impression that they think that Oxford is to Cambridge what Yale is to Harvard.
sTe\/o
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Manellowzworth)
Is either oxford or cambridge perceived as better in general, by the average person? I say this b/c most people I've spoken to from the U.K. have given me the impression that they think that Oxford is to Cambridge what Yale is to Harvard.
The current league table positions often dictate public opinion, but Oxford and Cambridge are generally seen as two of a kind. It's pretty obvious if you go to one that you could have gone to the other if you'd wanted to. That said, I think Cambridge is held in slightly higher regard at the moment, but only because Cambridge was higher in the league tables for quite a long time (which I think has changed now).
gooseymcgoose
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what is yale to harvard?
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bluefuture)
The standard of life in Oxford and Cambridge is higher than that of London. In terms of day to day life anyway. London has huge museums, nightclubs and posh shops and restaraunts , but how often is a student going to access these? once a week/month unless their loaded. If you need these things they are only an hour away. I live in London and it takes me 1hr mins to get anyware by bus or tube anyway!

I would never be so naive as to claim or pretend that making the most of London is cheap. Far from it. It's a problem, it can't be solved anytime soon. If you're cash strapped, you will undoubtedly find massive restrictions when it comes to making the most of London - or even close to the most.

An hour to get anywhere? Step out of the 'tourist lane' on the streets when walking While Oxford and Cambridge are pretty close to London and travel not too bad, the costs (time and cash) are that high enough to mean you won't get to see it too often. That said, I've met a number of students from all unis in London on weekends when they've made the time to see some of the "special stuff" as it were.

Unless you go to Bristol ofcourse, in which case you've fecked up somewhere...
:rofl:

In fairness to Bristol, it is beautiful. As it were

Who cares what the average person thinks? :confused: Are you seriously suggesting we pick universities or rank them on the basis of that? You've got to be nuts. When I do things for other people, it is because it is impacting important people to me.

Praise from the masses isn't going to hold a stubby wick and some old wax next to value from people who are important to you.
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sTe\/o)
The current league table positions often dictate public opinion, but Oxford and Cambridge are generally seen as two of a kind. It's pretty obvious if you go to one that you could have gone to the other if you'd wanted to. That said, I think Cambridge is held in slightly higher regard at the moment, but only because Cambridge was higher in the league tables for quite a long time (which I think has changed now).
Depends on the table. Oxford's topped the Times one for the last few years, Cambridge topped the Sunday Times one last year and Oxford tends to win in the Guardian. If people go by league tables (which the general public seem to), then both are pretty much identical.
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by not)
what is yale to harvard?
There is no difference in their stature.

**** what league tables say.
sTe\/o
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Platocrates)
There is no difference in their stature.

**** what league tables say.
Hear, hear.
manthi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by President_Ben)
Who cares what the average person thinks? :confused: Are you seriously suggesting we pick universities or rank them on the basis of that? You've got to be nuts. When I do things for other people, it is because it is impacting important people to me.

Praise from the masses isn't going to hold a stubby wick and some old wax next to value from people who are important to you.
By average person, I think he/she meant the general attitude of the public towards the particular university- which would more or less be the same as that of employers. Obviously he/she didnt mean that we should take what a fishmonger considers as a good university when making our decisions, but more so the general consensus reached in society by people over how good the particular university is- while it may not be the case in certain instances, the prestige of the university is a vital factor in certain job markets. While you should choose a university that you like, if you have career prospects, it is also advisable that you give a small consideration as to what "the average person thinks of your university".
President_Ben
Report 12 years ago
What the 'average person' thinks and what 'top employers' think are very different. Employers are, perhaps, surprisingly well versed in what is good and what isn't quite so good when it comes to universities and the courses.

For what it is worth, in the general public, I'm pretty sure Oxford and Cambridge are on pretty level begging for overall university reputation. Some will know Cambridge is traditionally stronger in Sciences and Oxford arts. If you start going into much more detail than that, I think we can safely say this isn't the "general public" anymore.
Manellowzworth
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Actually president ben, I was implying exactly what I asked, i.e, which uni wows average joe more. Obviously you dont pick based on that, and considering the fact that my sig says oxford and my question suggests cambridge is seen as the better one, you'd think that was obvious.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1332)
79.67%
Leave (340)
20.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise