Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I agree... I often wonder what it is they have to look forward to... it sounds harsh but what is the point of existing for the elderly? The only answer I could come up with was family... just shows how much they must love their family I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I really dont want to get so old that i don't have any one left. I mean, I am all for living longer but not if my body isn't up to it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to old age, no work, everything gets done for you (inlcuding clearing up any mess you make in the toilet) and you get to whinge all day about the world (as I do now) without seeming unnaturally bitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostinfantasies)
    Older people really don't get as much respect as they should do.
    Agreed.

When my Granny died, I asked my mum a few simple questions about her life and was astounded by the wealth of interesting experience she'd had...it really made me regret not asking her more about herself when she was alive.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody is a walking story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    Everybody is a walking story.
    Well no, most people live dull mundane lifes, and it matters not in the slightest when they die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    Well no, most people live dull mundane lifes, and it matters not in the slightest when they die.
    Not in my experience.
    Maybe you are projecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    Not in my experience.
    Yes they do. Some are pretentious cretins who think they have a "tale" to tell, others were just "fortunate" enough to be born before WW2 and so have more to tell than how they went to school and then rotted in a cubicle for the rest of their life.

ReputationRep:
    Thats not true at all. Doesnt everyone have a story to tell about the places theyve been and the people theyve met. Even stories about how times have changed at what it was like to live a long time ago are worthy to be heard.

ReputationRep:
    Read this back; was looking over a few of my old posts...

Blimey!

Anyway, the reason why I bumped this up was this: I realised recently that there's quite a few budding musicians at the nursing home. Or they used to be - lots of photographs of the odd resident singing at karaoke or playing with a guitar. Or they've mumbled on about something believed to be completely nonsensical, and it turns out it's something to do with their old, pre-nursing home lives.

And it's so bloody fascinating.

Their passions, their interests...all their old photographs and whatnot. I remember we had a couple (they've both died since) and there were photographs of them dancing on a cruise ship, of them getting married or having a meal. It was so ordinary, so human, and I just found it really fascinating.

It's a shame every memory, every experience can't be documented. And, like another poster said, for this to happen, we'd have to have a historian for every person, and a historian for every historian, etc.. It's sadly not possible .

I want to start keeping a proper journal. Describe the new things I learn, what I think about them; what I think about friends, family, acquaintances; write down things I can remember from back when I was younger. I know no-one's going to ever read it, probably, but I'd feel better putting as much as I can remember down so someone, somewhere, MAY read it and acknowledge my existence.

I wonder if many people are scared of being forgotten?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    Yes they do. Some are pretentious cretins who think they have a "tale" to tell, others were just "fortunate" enough to be born before WW2 and so have more to tell than how they went to school and then rotted in a cubicle for the rest of their life.
    But even the small things are interesting and valuable. With each person there is a wealth of experience and knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has a tale to tell.

I suppose it's how YOU, the listener/the reader/the student, define what's interesting and what's not. What's good enough to captivate your attention, what isn't, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostinfantasies)
    Everyone has a tale to tell.

I suppose it's how YOU, the listener/the reader/the student, define what's interesting and what's not. What's good enough to captivate your attention, what isn't, etc.
    You've made me want to go out and get a diary now. I was going to just type crap into a word document every now and then when I felt the need, but now I want something a bit more permanent. Being an only child, once my parents have gone I'll be all that remains of my family, and so the memories of my family will reside in me, I want to write stuff down so that I can look back on it and remember things. Sometimes I am so envious of people who have brothers and sisters. I'm sure they're annoying but in the long run they'd be so valuable.

ReputationRep:
    wow, this thread has made me think properly about growing old and losing the people you love.

I've been worrying more and more recently about losing loved ones (especially my Grandparents) and also about growing old myself and becoming more dependant on others.

I've come to the conclusion that I probably would prefer to die young (not too young though) than risk losing my faculties etc and becoming dependant on others (not always the case, I know)

It's personal circumstances that have made me think like this I guess.

I'm glad you really enjoy your job OP I volunteered in a homeless centre for a few months (until it closed) and I found it very rewarding as well

ReputationRep:
    Im not scared of being forgotten, but I am petrified of not living life to its potential and making the most of it. A day may come when we have no-one left in this world, but at least we will be able to hold our heads up high and say with confidence, that we made the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    it's weird. it's something i think about a LOT. especially in my current context of everyone preparing to leave and go their separate ways.

i just think about things like how important and essential some people in my life are to me now but that, one day, they might be the old person that no one on the bus gets up for. that others won't see the amazing person with the amazing personality that i know, just another old lady/man getting in the way, holding up the queue, being crazy and senile.

i know very little about my family history but i was talking to my nan the other day and from the tiny amount of stuff that she told me, it's weird how differently i felt. stuff about her as a child, as a mother, about my mum as a child, about my great-grandad, about growing up in ireland.

it's weird to think of people as either going to be or else having once been so different to how they seem, what they mean to you at the point in time that you encounter them.

it's even stranger to think of yourself being whoever you become...its weird to think that the things, the events and the people that are such intrical parts of life at the moment will probably one day be forgotten by you, let alone given any attention by others. makes me feel crappy for wishing the time away so much. the day will come when i want it all back!

ReputationRep:
    i hope i never become old like that - ie i either become my granddad who was great right up till the last day, or i die before i get that far. The idea of alzhimers, dementia, or anything along those lines, is terrifying to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickNack)
    i hope i never become old like that - ie i either become my granddad who was great right up till the last day, or i die before i get that far. The idea of alzhimers, dementia, or anything along those lines, is terrifying to me
    Same here. In all honesty, it scares the living daylights out of me.

ReputationRep:
    I do feel really bad if this depresses anyone! I got repped, last year (when this was first posted), and someone said that even though it was a good post, they still got depressed. So, I'm really sorry!

ReputationRep:
    I hope I die before I get old.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.