Good work experience for politics

Watch this thread
MrKay
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My personal statement and grades are generally strong, however I need some concrete work experience which is relevant to Politics.

Could I please have some suggestions for stuff which may look very impressive, any form of active experience which is relevant to Politics. I have already emailed local MP's and one said yes but fell through unfortunately.

I apologise if this may be in the wrong forum,

Thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
why do you need work experience? why not some other subject relevant extra curriculars?

lectures, extended projects, research, attending local government meetings, visiting parliament, museum visits, court visits etc etc.

Basically anything to look into the subject beyond the obvious and the information that you're required to learn for your A levels.
MrKay
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
why do you need work experience? why not some other subject relevant extra curriculars?

lectures, extended projects, research, attending local government meetings, visiting parliament, museum visits, court visits etc etc.

Basically anything to look into the subject beyond the obvious and the information that you're required to learn for your A levels.

Yes I understand that and have got other stuff, but you can't deny that work experience looks more impressive than the stuff you listed. Why should I not aim for the best?
PQ
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MrKay)
Yes I understand that and have got other stuff, but you can't deny that work experience looks more impressive than the stuff you listed. Why should I not aim for the best?
Not really - the person reading your application is an academic who teaches politics - NOT someone who works in politics. For university applications you need to demonstrate and interest in the academic aspects of the subject....worry about the relevant work experience for when you're looking for a job in politics.
Bella_trixxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Get involved with the local association of your party of choice? In my experience they always need a few volunteers willing to knock on doors and stuff letters in envelopes and so on...
MrKay
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
Not really - the person reading your application is an academic who teaches politics - NOT someone who works in politics. For university applications you need to demonstrate and interest in the academic aspects of the subject....worry about the relevant work experience for when you're looking for a job in politics.

LOL really? you're honestly trying to say that work experience does not look impressive on a personal statement? wow.
Bella_trixxx
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MrKay)
LOL really? you're honestly trying to say that work experience does not look impressive on a personal statement? wow.
Honestly, it's not as important as being able to show an academic interest; that's what they're judging you on, after all. Unlike some courses such as Law, Medicine etc. politics isn't so much a vocational degree, so that aspect isn't quite so important as you may think.
Although of course a little work experience never hurts, unless its taking time away from you that you need to study!
MrKay
Rep:
(Original post by Bella_trixxx)
Although of course a little work experience never hurts, unless its taking time away from you that you need to study!
Thank you, it doesn't hurt, it's actually helpful. Don't understand why people don't just answer the question but instead offer their own suggestions like I'm not already aware of other basic stuff that everyone already knows *yawn*
cjc3676
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
It doesnt have to be paid work, nor does it have to have an over obvious connection to 'politics'.

Anything that gives you good 'awareness of social issues' will be useful as would anything that meant you had to speak/present in public. Look at somewhere like the Oxfam or Cancer Research websites - they often need people to present to school groups etc, or volunteer at public events. Anything that increases your self-confidence and introduces you to areas of 'life' outside your own will be seen as useful.

PQ is right in the message above. You dont need experience of 'being a politician' because thats not what doing a politics course is about. Anything that shows you have initiative and a bit of courage will impress Admissions staff.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MrKay)
For politics, you don't need work experience (I'm a second year politics student BTW). However, you should show an interest in the subject, so going to see politicians speak, being a member of a pressure group, reading quality (Guardian, Times, Telegraph, Independent) newspapers, reading relevant academic texts and generally showing an interest in the academic side of politics and being a well informed person will do you the world of good.

Politics isn't a vocational degree, so it doesn't teach you how to be a politician (unlike, for instance, medicine). That's why you don't need work experience. However, if you really do want work experience, then campaigning for a candidate in the upcoming PCC and Mayoral elections would be a good idea.
Bella_trixxx
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MrKay)
Thank you, it doesn't hurt, it's actually helpful. Don't understand why people don't just answer the question but instead offer their own suggestions like I'm not already aware of other basic stuff that everyone already knows *yawn*
Well, only trying to help. Keep in mind that you're an A-level student and the people replying to you actually do study politics-type degrees at university, so will be more knowledgable!
I did answer your question direct, but I have to say that if I were an admissions tutor and I had a choice between picking someone who was out all day knocking on doors, stuffing envelopes and doing other menial labour for a political party,and someone who actually used their time more effectively to learn about politics as an academic subject, I'd pick the latter every time.
Maybe you could try writing for a politics-y themed blog? I believe www.the-pryer.co.uk and thestudentjournals.co.uk are always looking for writers...
MrKay
Rep:
(Original post by Bella_trixxx)
Well, only trying to help. Keep in mind that you're an A-level student and the people replying to you actually do study politics-type degrees at university, so will be more knowledgable!
I did answer your question direct, but I have to say that if I were an admissions tutor and I had a choice between picking someone who was out all day knocking on doors, stuffing envelopes and doing other menial labour for a political party,and someone who actually used their time more effectively to learn about politics as an academic subject, I'd pick the latter every time.
Maybe you could try writing for a politics-y themed blog? I believe www.the-pryer.co.uk and thestudentjournals.co.uk are always looking for writers...
Bath Uni website state that relevant work experience in personal statement is a good thing so thats why I wanted to do some lol. It doesn't neccesarily have to be knocking and doors and even if it is 'menial labour' that can still be helpful.

And thanks, a politics blog good idea
milliewignall_
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by PQ)

My college need you to have 30 hours at least for work experience to pass the course
PQ
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by milliewignall_)
My college need you to have 30 hours at least for work experience to pass the course
This is a 9 year old thread.

If your college insist on work experience then you don’t have to have something university course specific - you can choose any placements that you think you might enjoy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (17)
29.82%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
38.6%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.51%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
7.02%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.28%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.75%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed